|Golmaal Film Series|
|Created by||Rohit Shetty|
|Original work||Golmaal (2006)|
|Films and television|
Golmaal is an Indian comedy film series directed by Rohit Shetty, with four installments to date, the first three produced by Dhilin Mehta, the fourth by Shetty and Sangeeta Ahir and the fifth which is a spin off is produced by Shetty with Bhushan Kumar. The first film Golmaal: Fun Unlimited released in 2006 and was followed by 3 direct sequels:Golmaal Returns (2008), Golmaal 3 (2010) and Golmaal Again (2017). All four films starred Ajay Devgn, Arshad Warsi, Tusshar Kapoor, Sanjay Mishra, Vrajesh Hirjee and Mukesh Tiwari, with Shreyas Talpade, Ashwini Kalsekar and Sharman Joshi appearing in three and Kareena Kapoor and Kunal Khemu appearing in two. The series also has a spin-off named Cirkus was released on 23 December 2022.
An animated version of the film series named Golmaal Jr. was released for with three central characters: Madhav, Gopal and Lucky.
|Golmaal: Fun Unlimited||14 July 2006||Rohit Shetty||Neeraj Vora||Ghar Ghar by Harsh Shivsharan||Dhilin Mehta, Parag Sanghvi|
|Golmaal Returns||29 October 2008||Yunus Sajawal||Pheka Pheki by Bipin Varti||Dhilin Mehta|
|Golmaal 3||5 November 2010||Yours, Mine and Ours by Melville Shavelson|
|Golmaal Again||20 October 2017||Rohit Shetty||Sangeeta Sachin Ahir, Rohit Shetty, Shivashish Sarkar|
Golmaal: Fun Unlimited (2006)
Friends Gopal, Lucky, Madhav and Laxman often dupe gullible people out of their money. Hilarity ensues when they target an elderly couple and simultaneously try wooing their beautiful neighbour.
Golmaal Returns (2008)
Gopal, who lives with his wife, Ekta, gets stuck in a yacht for a night after he saves an attractive young woman. Ekta suspects him of having an affair and decides to uncover the truth.
Golmaal 3 (2010)
Cupid strikes when Pritam, a single father, comes across his college sweetheart, Geeta, in Goa. However, when their respective children go at war with each other, the two find it difficult to reunite.
Golmaal Again (2017)
Five orphan men return to the orphanage they grew up in to attend their mentor's funeral. However, they encounter the ghost of their childhood friend, Khushi, and help her attain salvation.
A scientist separate two sets of identical twins to find the conflict b/w nature Vs nurture. However, years later the twins come close and creates confusion.
It was revealed in the upcoming film Cirkus trailer released in December 2022, that film is set in 1960's and it would be a prequel to the fourth film of Golmaal series. In the trailer five kids was standing in front of "Jamnadas Orphanage" and telling their names - Gopal, Madhav and Laxman (2 kids), while the fifth kid is mute and trying to tell his name is Lucky. But the film failed massively at the box-office.
Golmaal Phir Se (2024)
After the release of the fourth installment, director Shetty is interested in the fifth part of the franchise. He said, after getting a right script there will definitely be another installment. Actor Ajay Devgn also shows interest to return to next part. It is also reported that Kareena Kapoor might return for the next installment. After the release of the "Aankh Marey" music video from Ranveer Singh and Sara Ali Khan's Simmba, speculations of a fifth installment of the Golmaal franchise further strengthened. In the video, the four main actors, including Arshad Warsi and Tusshar Kapoor, are seen at the end of the holding up their hands to denote the number "5." Finally, on November 7, 2021, Rohit announced that the fifth film of Golmaal series will be called Phir Golmaal. He also announced on that same day that it will be about Gopal, Madhav, Laxman, Lucky, Vijay Saxena, Saanjh Batra Saxena and their new friend, who is named Vasooli solving a case of them being accused of a murder as they keep on getting into trouble while solving it.
Cast and characters
This table lists the main characters who appear in the Golmaal Franchise.
List indicator(s)List indicator(s)
This section includes characters who have appeared in two or more installments in the series.
- An empty, dark grey cell indicates the character was not in the film.
- C indicates a cameo role.
- V indicates a voice-only role.
- Y indicates a younger version of the character.
|Golmaal Again |
|Sharman Joshi||Laxman Prasad|
|Sanjay Mishra||Bubbly||Subodh Mehra||Dagga||Bubbly|
|Vrajesh Hirjee||Pandurang||Anthony Gonsalves||Teja||Pandurang|
|Murali Sharma||M.D. Sawant||Inspector Dhande|
|Siddarth Jadhav||Sattu Supari|
|Manoj Joshi||Harishchandra 'HaRaMi' Ramchandra Mirchandani|
|Kareena Kapoor||Ekta||Divya "Dabbo" Kalamkar|
|Celina Jaitley||Meera Mena|
|Anjana Sukhani||Daisy Paschisia|
|Vijay Patkar||Constable Gandhari|
|Mithun Chakraborty||Pritam "Pappu"|
|Ratna Pathak Shah||Geeta "Guddi" Patnaik|
|Parineeti Chopra||Khushi Bansal|
|Neil Nitin Mukesh||Nikhil|
|Prakash Raj||Vasu Reddy|
|Sachin Khedekar||Colonel Chouhan|
|Uday Tikekar||Joy Jamnadas|
Additional crew and production details
|Producer(s)||Dhillin Mehta||Rohit Shetty
|Rohit ShettyBhushan Kumar|
|Screenplay||Neeraj Vora||Yunus Sajawal|
Lijo George-DJ Chetas
|Background Score||Sanjoy Chowdhury||Amar Mohile|
|Director of photography||Aseem Bajaj||Natarajan Subramaniam||Dudley||Jomon T. John|
|Editor(s)||Steven H. Bernard||Bunty Nagi|
|Production Companies||Shree Ashtavinayak Cine Vision Ltd
K Sera Sera Private Limited
|Shree Ashtavinayak Cine Vision Ltd||Rohit Shetty Pictures, Mangal Murti Films, Reliance Entertainment|
|Distributing Companies||Shree Ashtavinayak Cine Vision Ltd
|Shemaroo Entertainment||Eros International||Reliance Entertainment|
|Running Time||150 minutes||135 minutes||140 minutes||152 minutes||139 minutes|
Release and revenue
|Golmaal: Fun Unlimited
|Budget||₹15 crore||₹35 crore||₹50 crore||₹80 crore||₹150 crore|
|Domestic gross||₹41.49 crore||₹70.89 crore||₹149.12 crore||₹264.89 crore||₹38.21 crore|
|Overseas gross||₹9.18 crore||₹14.91 crore||₹37.86 crore||₹59.09 crore||₹1.88 crore|
|Total gross||₹46.72 crore||₹80 crore||₹169.56 crore||₹311.04 crore||₹58.24 crore|
|Franchise gross||₹664.58 crore (US$83 million)|
- Boxofficeindia.Com Trade Network (23 November 2010). "Golmaal 3 Adds 4.50 Crore in Third Weekend". BoxOffice India.com. Archived from the original on 24 November 2010. Retrieved 24 November 2010.
- "Rohit Shetty's Singham 2, Golmaal 4 To Go on Floors This Year". Koimoi. 1 March 2013. Retrieved 7 November 2013.
- "No idea about female lead in Golmaal 4: Ajay Devgn". 7 August 2016. Retrieved 30 October 2016.
- "Golmaal Again Movie Review Meena Iyer". The Times of India.
- "blends perfectly with the screwball flavour of Golmaal".
- "Ajay Devgn – Rohit Shetty's Golmaal to be ANIMATED for kids' channel (details inside)". Bollywood Hungama. 5 April 2019. Archived from the original on 6 April 2019. Retrieved 5 April 2019.
- "Cirkus Trailer Spot the Golmaal Gang as Rohit Shetty Hints at New Cinematic Universe Watch".
- "Cirkus trailer out. Ranveer Singh in a double role, Deepika Padukone's cameo makes it exciting".
- "Cirkus trailer: Rohit Shetty packs a punch with Ranveer Singh's dual role, a cameo by Deepika Padukone, a glimpse of the Golmaal gang".
- "Cirkus: Ranveer Singh will be a part of the film Golmaal 5? Shooting can start soon!". 2 December 2022.
- "Rohit Shetty to come up with Golmaal part 5". 28 September 2017. Retrieved 15 September 2018.
- ""We'll definitely make Golmaal 5" – Rohit Shetty". Bollywood Hungama. 23 October 2017. Retrieved 15 September 2018.
- "Rohit Shetty Announces Golmaal 5 Already!". 28 September 2017. Retrieved 15 September 2018.
- "Here's What Ajay Devgn Said When a Fan Asked Him About Golmaal 5". 22 October 2017. Retrieved 15 September 2018.
- 'गोलमाल 5' में करीना वापस आ जाएंगी: अजय देवगन-Navbharat Times. Retrieved 15 September 2018.
- "Golmaal - Fun Unlimited - Movie - Box Office India".
- "Golmaal Returns - Movie - Box Office India".
- "Golmaal 3 - Movie - Box Office India".
- Team, Koimoi com (31 October 2017). "Golmaal Again Enters The List Of Most Profitable Films Of 2017". Koimoi. Retrieved 15 December 2022.
- More, Shalmesh (30 December 2022). "From Ranveer Singh's Cirkus To Aamir Khan's Laal Singh Chaddha, Here Are 11 Box Office Duds Of 2022 That Dented Bollywood Real Bad!". Koimoi. Retrieved 11 January 2023.
- "I feel privileged when kids like my films and shows: Rohit Shetty". Mumbai Live.
- "Viacom18 aims to scale Sonic's position with new show Golmaal Jr". www.bestmediaifo.com. 13 May 2019.