Golspie railway station
|Scottish Gaelic: Goillspidh|
|Managed by||Abellio ScotRail|
|Number of platforms||1|
|Live arrivals/departures, station information and onward connections|
from National Rail Enquiries
|Annual rail passenger usage*|
|Original company||Sutherland Railway|
|13 April 1868||Opened as terminus|
|19 June 1871||Line extended to Helmsdale|
|Listing grade||Category B|
|Added to list||7 March 1984|
|National Rail – UK railway stations|
|* Annual estimated passenger usage based on sales of tickets in stated financial year(s) which end or originate at Golspie from Office of Rail and Road statistics. Methodology may vary year on year.|
The station opened on 13 April 1868. Originally, it was the northern terminus of the Sutherland Railway, which had been intended to continue to Brora but had run out of money after reaching Golspie. The Duke of Sutherland used his own personal finances to build the line onwards through Brora to Helmsdale, this being the Duke of Sutherland's Railway, completed on 19 June 1871.
Golspie station was designed by William Fowler and built in 1868, Golspie Station House which sits on the unmanned platform was converted in 2002/2003 to a four bedroom home.
The station formerly had two platforms and a passing loop. One platform remains in use and the loop has been lifted. The station building is in an excellent state of repair following recent renovation. The former goods yard is to the south of the station. This was the northern extent of the Sutherland Railway.
The 'Golspie North' and 'Golspie South' signalboxes are demolished. The Duke of Sutherland had an engine shed for his engine Dunrobin (and replacement with the same name).
- Brailsford, Martyn, ed. (December 2017) . "Gaelic/English Station Index". Railway Track Diagrams 1: Scotland & Isle of Man (6th ed.). Frome: Trackmaps. ISBN 978-0-9549866-9-8.
- "GOLSPIE RAILWAY STATION". Historic Scotland. Retrieved 25 February 2019.
- Butt, R.V.J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations. Yeovil: Patrick Stephens Ltd. pp. 71–72, 106. ISBN 1-85260-508-1. R508.
- Awdry, Christopher (1990). Encyclopaedia of British Railway Companies. London: Guild Publishing. p. 105. CN 8983.
- Vallance, H.A.; Clinker, C.R.; Lambert, Anthony J. (1985) . The Highland Railway (4th ed.). Newton Abbot: David & Charles. pp. 35–36. ISBN 0-946537-24-0.
- Brailsford 2017, map 20B.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Golspie railway station.|
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
Far North Line
Line open, station closed
Duke of Sutherland's Railway
Line and station open
|This Scotland railway station-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|