It is derived from the given name Gomes which is a loanword of the Visigothic word guma "man". It is itself related to the Common Germanic word guma (Old English guma "man", Middle English gome) / gomo (High Old German gomo "man", Middle High German gome) related to Latin homo "man".
Notable people with the surname include:
- Arthur Gómez (born 1984), Gambian footballer
- Bolívar Gómez (born 1977), Ecuadorian footballer
- Camilo Gómez (born 1984), Colombian road cyclist
- Camilo Gomez (born 1960), American physician
- Carlos Gómez (born 1985), Dominican baseball player
- Emmanuel Gómez (born 1990), Gambian footballer
- Francis Gómez (born 1968), Venezuelan judoka
- Francisco Javier Gómez Noya, Spanish triathlete
- George Gomez (born 1955), Cuban-American industrial designer
- Ignacio Gómez (born c. 1962), Colombian journalist
- Jaime Luis Gomez (born 1975), American rapper and actor
- Jorge Gómez (born 1968), Chilean footballer
- Joseph Gómez (born 1987), Gambian footballer
- Joshua Gomez (born 1975), American actor
- Juan Vicente Gómez (1857–1935), ruler of Venezuela in 1908–35
- Lefty Gomez (1908–1989), American baseball player
- Luis Humberto Gómez Gallo (1962−2013), Colombian industrial engenier
- María Cristina Gómez (1938–1989), Salvadoran murder victim
- Mariano Gómez (1799–1872), Filipino priest and martyr
- Mario Gómez (born 1985), German footballer
- Máximo Gómez (1836–1905), Dominican soldier in the Cuban War of Independence
- Michelle Gomez (born 1971), Scottish actress
- Oscar Gómez (born 1975), Argentine light-middleweight boxer
- Rick Gomez (born 1972), American actor
- Richard Gomez (born 1966), Filipino actor
- Ron Gomez (born 1934), Louisiana journalist and former state representative
- Scott Gomez (born 1979), American hockey player
- Selena Gomez (born 1992), American actress and singer
- Tamara Gómez Garrido (born 1991), Spanish triathlete
- Ulysses Gomez (born 1983), Mexican-American mixed martial arts fighter
- Juan Eduardo Gomez Jr (born 1989), Las Vegas Nevada born, Regional Mexican Drummer.
- Roberto Gomez Bolaños (1929-2014) Mexican Screenwriter, Actor and Comedian.
- Mossé, Fernand. Manuel de l’anglais du moyen-âge (in French), Tomes I, Aubier Montaigne, 1945. p. 475.
- Duden, Das Herkunftswörterbuch: Etymologie der deutschen Sprache (in German), Band 7, Duden Verlag 1989. p. 96. Bräutigam.
|This page or section lists people with the surname Gomez. If an internal link intending to refer to a specific person led you to this page, you may wish to change that link by adding the person's given name(s) to the link.|