|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Elevation||238 m (781 ft)|
|• Official||Hindi, Santali|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Gomia (also spelled as Gumia) is a census town in Gomia block in Bermo subdivision of Bokaro district in the Indian state of Jharkhand. The modern name is a transformation of Gumia over the years. Though, today, it is still listed as Gumia by the South Eastern Railway (India) (station code GMIA).
Gomia took shape around the year 1956, when the Imperial Chemical Industries (ICI as its popularly known as), set up a commercial explosives (IEL) factory there. It was developed together a residential colony to house the 3500 employees that would work in the factory. Since then, Gomia has been known as an example of diversity - with people of different nationalities, cultures and religious beliefs coming together to write a new chapter in the history of the then Hazaribagh district. Since the late 1950s, it has switched districts twice, first becoming a part of Giridih and then becoming a part of Bokaro district.
As of 2001[update] India census, Gumia had a population of 45,532. Males constitute 53% of the population and females 47%. Gumia has an average literacy rate of 64%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 74%, and female literacy is 52%. In Gumia, 14% of the population is under 6 years of age.
As of the 2011 census, the total number of literate citizens in Gumia was listed as 32,968, out of which 19,240 were males and 13,728 were females.
|This section does not cite any sources. (September 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Orica's IEL factory is the lifeline for Gomia. More than 80% of the population benefits from the factory, directly or indirectly.
Annual turnover of IEL is approx 10000 Crs. Central Coal Field Limited(CCL)'s The people of Gomia are also depend on CCL Colliery. Bokaro Thermal Power Station's It is also near by Gomia (approx. 5 km)
The IEL factory is also known as Gomia Explosives.
Gomia town is headed by the head of the factory.
Former Heads of the Factory -
- Mr. Thampi
- Mr. VK Bahari
- Mr. GT Jejurikar
- Mr. VK Mushran
- Mr. Dileep Deshpande
- Mr. D Adhikary
- Mr. Ravi Pratap Sinha
- Mr. Rajesh Sharma
- Mr. Udit Baluja
- Mr. Rajesh Sharma
- Mr. Sanjay Singh
Former Heads of the Ardeer Hospital Trust
- Dr. AK Chatopadhaya
- Dr. AK Jha
Some Active Politicians
- Madhav Lal Singh (Ex MLA)
- Chatru Ram Mahto (Ex MLA)
- Jitendra Sharma (Ex President of BJYM, Gomia And Secretory of LIAFI, LIC Gomia Branch)
- Mohan Kumar (President of BJP, Gomia)
- MD Rizwan Union Leader (Organizing secretory Indian Explosives workers union Gomia works )
- Yogendra Prasad Mahto (Present MLA)
Gomia lies on one of the first railway links that was set up in Chota Nagpur Plateau. It is on the Gomoh-Barkakhana line. It is well connected with trains to the following places, with the approximate distances shown alongside:
Gomia had its own Air-Strip for Factory's aircraft landing.
Gomia has several interesting tourist areas, including the following:
- Hazaribagh (70 km) - Wild Life Sanctuary, Kanheri Hill, Hazaribag Jheel, Central Jail, St. Columba's College (running for more than 100 years)
- Bagodar block (41 km) - a famous picnic spot
- Parasnath Hills and Sammet Shikharji (76 km), with the highest mountain peak in Jharkhand, 4480 feet above the sea level, it is one of the most important and sanctified holy places of the Jains. 20 out of 24 Tirthankaras (including Parshva) are believed to have attained salvation there.
- Tenu Dam (12 km) - a masonry dam with scenic picnic spots.
- Konar Dam (21 km) - a very good picnic spot with gardens on the fall side of the dam.
- Chharchharia Falls (15 km) - a perennial waterfall in the hills near Lalpania and a good picnic spot.
- Chandru's Falls (5 km) - a wild waterfall in the hills near Narki more
- Konar River (in Gomia) - The beautiful hilly river flows through Gomia. This originates from the Konar Dam and is one of the most popular picnic spots for the Gomians
The major educational institutions in Gomia include:
- Pitts Modern School - Affiliated to the C.B.S.E. board, it has by now produced students who have earned good name for themselves, PMS and GOMIA too . Once Head of Sahodya this School is one of its kind and among the best in the region. The Important thing is that one can find its alumni all around the world.
- DAV Public School,Sawang
- Loyola School, gomia- Affiliated to Jharkhand Academic council
- Modern High School - Affiliated to Jharkhand Academic council
- Shishu Shiksha Sadan Swang
- Gomia High School, Gomia- Affiliated to Jharkhand Academic council
- Nehru High School Gomia - Affiliated to Jharkhand Academic council
- Gomia Inter College Gomia - Affiliated to Jharkhand Academic council
- K. B. College Bermo- Vinoba Bhave University
- Adarsh High School, Gomia
- [Ambedkar High School, Tulbul] - Affiliated to Jharkhand Academic council
- Falling Rain Genomics, Inc - Gumia
- Orica to form Explosives Venture with ICI India
- "2011 Census C.D. Block Wise Primary Census Abstract Data(PCA)". Jharkhand – District-wise CD Blocks. Registrar General and Census Commissioner, India. Retrieved 5 December 2015.
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.