Gonzalo Javier Rodríguez
Rodríguez in 2015
|Full name||Gonzalo Javier Rodríguez Prado|
|Date of birth||10 April 1984|
|Place of birth||Buenos Aires, Argentina|
|Height||1.83 m (6 ft 0 in)|
|Playing position||Centre back|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 00:00, 5 October 2016 (UTC).
Gonzalo Javier Rodríguez Prado (American Spanish: [ɡonˈsalo roˈðɾiɣes]; born 10 April 1984), sometimes known as simply Gonzalo, is an Argentine professional footballer who plays for Italian club ACF Fiorentina as a central defender.
In July 2004, Rodríguez joined Spain's Villarreal CF, being an undisputed starter in his first two seasons and renewing his link for a further five years. However, after the surprise elimination from the UEFA Intertoto Cup at the hands of NK Maribor, in which he was sent off, and a mere month into the league season, he suffered a serious injury, tearing the cruciate ligament in his right knee; after returning to activity in April 2007, he suffered the same injury two months later.
Rodríguez returned to good form in the 2008–09 campaign, often partnering Uruguayan Diego Godín and appearing in 48 La Liga games in two seasons combined, with Villarreal always qualifying to the UEFA Europa League, finishing fifth and seventh respectively. On 7 April 2011, in the Europa League's quarter-finals against FC Twente, he broke his fibula after a tough challenge by Marc Janko, being rushed to hospital in an ambulance and lost for the remainder of the season.
In early August 2012, following Villarreal's relegation, Gonzalo joined Italian club ACF Fiorentina, along with teammate Borja Valero. He scored six Serie A goals from 35 appearances in his first year, helping to a final fourth place and the subsequent qualification to the Europa League.
- As of 16 May 2016
|Total for Villarreal||184||6||8||0||58||2||250||8|
|Total for Fiorentina||133||21||12||0||25||3||170||24|
- As of 6 September 2015
|Argentina national team|
- Fiorentina All-time XI
- Villarreal refresh Rodríguez contract; UEFA.com, 27 January 2006
- Maribor soar as Villarreal crash out; UEFA.com, 22 July 2006
- Grim news for Gonzalo at Villarreal; UEFA.com, 14 June 2007
- EL: Villarreal punishes FC Twente; Benfica beats PSV; Sports Illustrated, 7 April 2011
- Borja Valero, Gonzalo Rodriguez and Aquilani to Fiorentina; ACF Fiorentina, 4 July 2012
- Fiorentina, Rodriguez ci crede: "Il sogno di vincere lo Scudetto adesso è concreto" (Fiorentina, Rodriguez a believer: "The dream of winning the Scudetto is now real); Goal.com, 1 January 2016 (Italian)
- "G. Rodríguez". Soccerway. Retrieved 15 May 2016.
- Matteo Magrini (23 August 2016). "Festa al Franchi, presenti e assenti. No eccellenti da Rui Costa, Baggio e Batistuta" (in Italian). Fiorentina.it. Retrieved 24 August 2016.