|Full name||Gonzalo Segares González|
|Date of birth||October 13, 1982|
|Place of birth||San José, Costa Rica|
|Height||5 ft 10 in (1.78 m)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of February 4, 2015.
Youth and college
Segares started his career playing in Saprissa's minor league system, before being awarded with a scholarship to play college soccer at Virginia Commonwealth University from 2001 to 2004. Segares was a strong player from his debut, starting all 83 games he played in his four seasons. He registered 16 goals and 10 assists from the back in his four years with the team, was a first-team All-CAA selection his final three years, and was a first team All-American and Hermann Trophy finalist as a senior. During this time he also played with the Williamsburg Legacy in the USL Premier Development League.
Segares began his professional career with the Chicago Fire as a 2005 SuperDraft third round selection, and quickly proved himself during his rookie campaign. Segares was in the Fire's starting eleven for the first three games of the 2006 campaign until an ankle injury sidelined the young defender for a month of action. Upon his return, Segares came back with a vengeance, starting 19 of Chicago's last 24 games. Segares also helped the "Men in Red" earn an MLS club-record fourth Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup title in 2006, playing every minute in the tournament's Final. He held down the left side of defense in Chicago's starting XI in 2008 and 2009, while balancing his burgeoning duties for both club and country.
After the 2009 season, Segares left the Fire for Greek Cypriot club Apollon Limassol. In August 2010 Segares returned to the Fire. On December 6, 2012 Chicago Fire re-signed Segares to a multi-year deal. At the end of the 2014 season, the club declined his contract option.
On February 4, 2015 Segares announced his retirement. He remained on staff with Chicago Fire as an academy coach and a club ambassador.
- Chicago Fire Defender of the Year:
- Winner: (1): 2007
- Segares jugará en Chipre - Nación (Spanish)
- "Welcome back Gonzalo". chicago-fire.com. August 6, 2010.
- "Chicago Fire Re-sign Defender Gonzalo Segares". chicago-fire.com. December 6, 2012.
- "Chicago Fire re-sign Patrick Nyarko and announce option decisions for 17 other players". mlssoccer.com. November 18, 2014.
- "Longtime Chicago Fire defender Gonzalo Segares retires, joins club's academy staff". mlssoccer.com. February 4, 2015.