Good Doctor (South Korean TV series)
Promotional poster for Good Doctor
|Genre||Medical drama |
|Written by||Park Jae-bum|
|Directed by||Ki Min-soo |
|Starring||Joo Won |
|Country of origin||South Korea|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||20|
|Executive producer(s)||Kim Sung-geun|
|Producer(s)||Lee Jae-hoon |
|Cinematography||Kim Jae-hwan |
|Running time||Mondays and Tuesdays at 21:55 (KST)|
|Production company(s)||Logos Film|
|Original network||Korean Broadcasting System|
|Original release||August 5 –|
October 8, 2013
|Related shows||The Good Doctor|
グッド ドクタ— (Good Doctor)
Good Doctor (Korean: 굿 닥터; RR: Gut Dakteo) is a 2013 South Korean medical drama television series starring Joo Won, Moon Chae-won, Joo Sang-wook, Kim Min-seo, Chun Ho-jin, Kwak Do-won and Ko Chang-seok. It aired on KBS2 from August 5 to October 8, 2013, on Mondays and Tuesdays at 21:55 for 20 episodes.The early working title was Green Scalpel (Korean: 그린 메스; RR: Geurin Meseu; lit. "Green Mes").
Park Si-on (Joo Won) is an autistic savant who was sent to a specialized care center as a child, where he was discovered to have a genius-level memory and keen spatial skills. He eventually enters the field of pediatric surgery as a resident, where he is given six months to prove himself capable. However, due to his atypical mental and emotional condition, Si-on faces conflict from his peers and patients, who view him as childlike and unreliable. Most critical is the hotheaded surgeon Kim Do-han (Joo Sang-wook), who labels him a soulless robot of a doctor who can only rely heavily on his photographic memory instead of feeling what the patient needs. Despite help from understanding and fair colleagues like Cha Yoon-seo (Moon Chae-won) and Han Jin-wook (Kim Young-kwang), the hospital is a fierce and competitive world, and the challenges Si-on faces become only greater when he falls in love with Yoon-seo.
- Joo Won as Park Si-on
- Choi Ro-woon as young Si-on
- Moon Chae-won as Cha Yoon-seo
- Joo Sang-wook as Kim Do-han
- Kim Min-seo as Yoo Chae-kyung
- Sungwon University Hospital officials
- Chun Ho-jin as Choi Woo-seok, hospital director
- Kwak Do-won as Kang Hyun-tae, hospital deputy director
- Na Young-hee as Lee Yeo-won
- Jo Hee-bong as Go Choong-man, head of the Pediatric Surgery department
- Lee Ki-yeol as Lee Hyuk-pil, managing director of the hospital foundation
- Jung Man-sik as Kim Jae-joon, head of the Hepatobiliary-Pancreatic Surgery department
- Kim Chang-wan as President Jung
- Department of Pediatric Surgery
- A warm and friendly fourth-year resident, who first approaches Park Shi-on when he is shunned by the others.
- Yoon Park as Woo Il-kyu, second-year resident
- Yoon Bong-gil as Hong Gil-nam, second-year resident
- Wang Ji-won as Kim Sun-joo, intern
- Nursing division
- Ko Chang-seok as Jo Jung-mi, senior nurse
- Jin Kyung as Nam Joo-yeon, head nurse
- Lee Ah-rin as Ga-kyung
- Ha Kyu-won as Hye-jin
- Children's ward
- Kim Hyun-soo as Na In-hae
- Uhm Hyun-kyung as Na In-young
- Ahn Sung-hoon as Lee Woo-ram
- Yoo Je-gun as Park Ho-suk
- Lee Jang-kyung as Kim Ye-eun
- Oh Eun-chan as Cha Dong-jin
- Yoo Hae-jung as Eun-ok
- Jung Yun-seok as Lee Kyu-hyun
- Yoon Yoo-sun as Oh Kyung-joo, Shi-on's mother
- Jung Ho-keun as Park Choon-sung, Shi-on's father
- Seo Hyun-chul as Byung-soo
- Jeon Jun-hyeok as Park Si-deok, Shi-on's older brother
- Ban Min-jung as Kyu-hyun's mother
- Kwak Ji-min as Lee Soo-jin (guest appearance, ep 10-12)
- Moon Hee-kyung as Mrs. Jang, Soo-jin's mother-in-law
- Kim Sun-hwa as Eun-ok's aunt
- Seo Kang-joon as one of the punks who want to beat up Shi-on (ep 12)
- In Gyo-jin as Soo-jin's husband (cameo, ep 12)
- Yoo Jae-myung as the killer (ep 15)
- Kim Young-hee as staff of the family restaurant (ep 17)
- Gong Jung-hwan as Professor of Neurosurgery Department (ep 17)
- Park Ki-woong as Woong-ki (cameo, ep 20)
Good Doctor made a strong debut on the TV ratings chart. It maintained the number one spot in its timeslot for most of its run, with an average viewership rating of 17.4% (TNmS) and 18.0% (AGB Nielsen).
|Episode #||Original broadcast date||Average audience share|
|TNmS Ratings||AGB Nielsen|
|Nationwide||Seoul National Capital Area||Nationwide||Seoul National Capital Area|
|1||5 August 2013||10.5%||10.3%||10.9%||11.6%|
|2||6 August 2013||13.6%||14.6%||14.0%||15.1%|
|3||12 August 2013||13.8%||14.6%||15.3%||16.2%|
|4||13 August 2013||15.9%||16.9%||15.8%||15.8%|
|5||19 August 2013||16.5%||17.6%||18.0%||18.5%|
|6||20 August 2013||18.4%||20.4%||19.0%||20.0%|
|7||26 August 2013||17.2%||18.1%||17.4%||18.2%|
|8||27 August 2013||17.5%||19.0%||18.4%||18.5%|
|9||2 September 2013||17.0%||18.3%||17.4%||17.4%|
|10||3 September 2013||18.5%||20.5%||18.4%||18.3%|
|11||9 September 2013||18.3%||20.2%||18.3%||18.7%|
|12||10 September 2013||20.0%||22.2%||19.4%||19.4%|
|13||16 September 2013||17.5%||19.3%||17.9%||18.4%|
|14||17 September 2013||18.9%||20.3%||18.6%||19.3%|
|15||23 September 2013||18.5%||20.2%||19.6%||20.3%|
|16||24 September 2013||20.9%||22.7%||21.5%||22.8%|
|17||30 September 2013||18.0%||20.5%||20.3%||21.1%|
|18||1 October 2013||19.0%||21.4%||20.6%||21.5%|
|19||7 October 2013||17.6%||20.1%||19.0%||20.0%|
|20||8 October 2013||19.5%||22.4%||19.2%||19.5%|
Awards and nominations
|2013||Best Drama||Good Doctor||Won|
|Top Excellence Award, Actress (TV)||Moon Chae-won||Nominated|
|Best Drama||Good Doctor||Nominated|
|Top Excellence Award, Actor||Joo Won||Nominated|
|Top Excellence Award, Actress||Moon Chae-won||Nominated|
|Best Writer||Park Jae-bum||Won|
|Top Excellence Award, Actor||Joo Won||Nominated|
|Excellence Award, Actor||Joo Sang-wook||Nominated|
|Excellence Award, Actress||Moon Chae-won||Nominated|
|Top Excellence Award, Actor||Joo Won||Won|
|Actor of the Year (selected by directors)||Won|
|Top Excellence Award, Actress||Moon Chae-won||Nominated|
|Excellence Award, Actor in a Mid-length Drama||Joo Sang-wook||Won|
|Excellence Award, Actress in a Mid-length Drama||Moon Chae-won||Won|
|Best Supporting Actor||Jo Hee-bong||Nominated|
|Best Supporting Actress||Jin Kyung||Nominated|
|Best New Actor||Kim Young-kwang||Nominated|
|Best Young Actor||Jung Yun-seok||Nominated|
|Best Young Actress||Kim Hyun-soo||Nominated|
|Best Couple Award||Joo Won and Moon Chae-won||Won|
|Netizen Award, Actor||Joo Won||Won|
|Popularity Award, Actress||Moon Chae-won||Won|
|2014||Best Performer||Joo Won||Won|
|Best Drama||Good Doctor||Won|
|Best Director (TV)||Ki Min-soo||Nominated|
|Best Actor (TV)||Joo Won||Nominated|
|Best Serial Drama||Good Doctor||Won|
|Outstanding Korean Drama||Nominated|
|Outstanding Korean Actor||Joo Won||Nominated|
|Outstanding Korean Actress||Moon Chae-won||Nominated|
In November 2013, the Korea Association of the Welfare Institutes for the Disabled gave the series a plaque of recognition for creating awareness about autism and how socially challenged individuals can contribute to society. In December 2013, Good Doctor also received an award from the Disability Awareness Campaign Headquarters and was designated as a "Good Program" by the Korea Communications Standards Commission.
An American remake of the same name, produced by Daniel Dae Kim, debuted in late September 2017 on ABC. The story of a surgeon with autism is set in San Jose, California, airing during fall of 2017.
- Philippines: Jeepney TV – December 17, 2016 - March 4, 2017 and Asianovela Channel – December 24, 2018 - February 8, 2019
- Kim, Gwang-kuk (5 August 2013). "PREVIEW: KBS Mon/Tue Drama Good Doctor". TenAsia. Archived from the original on 7 June 2014. Retrieved 2013-08-06.
- "Mes" is derived from the Dutch word for knife, and is commonly used in Korea/Japan to refer to a scalpel.
- Choi, Eun-hwa (28 May 2013). "Joo Won Cast as Lead of KBS2's Green Scalpel". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2013-05-29.
- Kang, Jung-yeon (29 May 2013). "Joo Won to Turn Doctor in Medical Drama". TenAsia. Archived from the original on 28 March 2014. Retrieved 2013-05-31.
- Lee, Hye-ji (31 July 2013). "Joo Won Ready to Become Good Doctor". TenAsia. Archived from the original on 28 March 2014. Retrieved 2013-08-02.
- Choi, Eun-hwa (3 August 2013). "Joo Won Says He'll Showcase a Different Type of Autistic Character". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2013-08-03.
- Han, Jae-hee (20 August 2013). "Unusual doctor in spotlight". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2013-08-20.
- Jeon, Su-mi (5 June 2013). "Moon Chae Won Cast in Green Scalpel as Joo Won's Costar". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2013-06-05.
- Choi, Eun-hwa (3 August 2013). "Moon Chae Won Says She Aims to be More Professional Than Pretty". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2013-08-03.
- "Moon Chae-Won Scores Another Hit with Medical Drama". hancinema. 25 October 2013. Retrieved 2014-09-08.
- Kang, Jung-yeon (4 June 2013). "Joo Sang-uk Joins Medical Drama". TenAsia. Archived from the original on 28 March 2014. Retrieved 2013-06-04.
- "Joo Sang-wook ready to play doctor". KBS Global. 22 July 2013. Retrieved 2013-08-21.
- Choi, Eun-hwa (3 August 2013). "Joo Sang Wook was So Stressed about Good Doctor That He Nearly Went Bald". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2013-08-03.
- An, So-hyoun (24 June 2013). "Kim Young Kwang Cast for Good Doctor". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2013-06-24.
- Hong, Grace Danbi (4 September 2013). "Good Doctor Delivers Meaningful Cameos". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2013-09-06.
- "Park Ki Woong Compliments Joo Won's Acting in Good Doctor". Soompi. 6 August 2013. Retrieved 2014-02-01.
- "Good Doctor the final Cameo is Park Gi-Woong". Innolife. 10 October 2013. Archived from the original on 19 February 2014. Retrieved 2014-02-01.
- Lee, Eun-ah (7 August 2013). "Good Doctor makes strong debut on TV charts". TenAsia. Archived from the original on 28 March 2014. Retrieved 2014-03-03.
- "TNMS Daily Ratings: this links to current day-select the date from drop down menu". TNMS Ratings (in Korean). Archived from the original on 2013-11-28. Retrieved 2013-08-05.
- "AGB Daily Ratings: this links to current day-select the date from drop down menu". AGB Nielsen Media Research (in Korean). Archived from the original on 2013-12-26. Retrieved 2013-08-05.
- Lee, Cory (2 January 2014). "Kim Hye-soo Reclaims Glory, Good Doctor, Secret Love Win Big at the 2013 KBS Drama Awards". TenAsia. Archived from the original on 28 March 2014. Retrieved 2014-02-01.
- "한국PD대상 수상자들, 세월호 실종자 무사 귀환 기도 배우 주원 "진도에서 기적이 일어나길 바란다"". PD Journal (in Korean). 17 April 2014. Retrieved 2014-04-17.
- Hong, Grace Danbi (28 May 2014). "Jun Ji Hyun and Song Kang Ho Receive Highest Honors at the Baeksang Arts Awards". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2014-05-28.
- "Rockie Awards Category Winners Announced". 9 June 2014. Archived from the original on 12 June 2014. Retrieved 2014-06-09.
- "Winners from 41st Korea Broadcasting Awards". Beatus Corner. 4 September 2014. Retrieved 2014-09-05.
- Lee, Min-ji (5 September 2014). "You Who Came From the Stars Wins Four Awards at Seoul International Drama Awards". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2014-09-07.
- 드라마 '굿닥터' 제작진에 감사패 전달. Able News (in Korean). 6 November 2013. Retrieved 2014-03-03.
- "'KBS 굿닥터', 장애인먼저실천상 대상". Able News (in Korean). 10 December 2013. Retrieved 2014-06-15.
- "10월 이달의 좋은프로그램상에 KBS '의궤,8일간의 축제'". KBS News (in Korean). 17 December 2013. Retrieved 2014-06-15.
- Lee, Hyo-won (22 May 2014). "Daniel Dae Kim Wants to Bring North Korean Defector Story to Screen (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2014-08-31.
- "Daniel Dae Kim to remake Good Doctor for CBS". The Korea Times. 31 August 2014. Archived from the original on 3 September 2014. Retrieved 2014-08-31.
- Lee, Sun-min (1 September 2014). "Good Doctor to be adapted". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2014-09-01.