Good Girl (Carrie Underwood song)
|Single by Carrie Underwood|
|from the album Blown Away|
|Released||February 23, 2012|
|Writer(s)||Chris DeStefano, Ashley Gorley, Carrie Underwood|
|Carrie Underwood singles chronology|
"Good Girl" is a song by American country music recording artist Carrie Underwood. The song was written by Chris DeStefano, Ashley Gorley, and Underwood. It was released by Arista Nashville as the lead single from Underwood's fourth studio album, Blown Away (2012).
Underwood debuted the song in a live performance during the annual Country Radio Seminar (CRS) event in Nashville on February 23, 2012. The song was sent to country radio stations directly following the performance. It was made available for purchase as a digital download on February 23, 2012. "Good Girl" officially impacted country radio on February 27, 2012 and was officially released to Hot AC radio on April 23, 2012.
- 1 Background
- 2 Content
- 3 Critical reception
- 4 Music video
- 5 Commercial performance
- 6 Track listing
- 7 Awards and nominations
- 8 Chart performance
- 9 Charts and certifications
- 10 Radio and release history
- 11 In popular culture
- 12 References
- 13 External links
On January 25, 2012, Underwood announced on her official website that the new single will be released in February. She co-wrote the song with Chris DeStefano and Ashley Gorley. Gorley has previously worked with Underwood on her singles "Don't Forget to Remember Me" and "All-American Girl."
19 second sample from Carrie Underwood's "Good Girl".
|Problems playing this file? See media help.|
"Good Girl" is about Underwood warning a good girl about her ex-boyfriend, saying that he is actually no good, and that she is better off without him.
The song is in C minor, with an approximate tempo of 126 beats per minute. It does not use full chords, but rather a pattern of open fifths consisting of C5-F5-E♭5-B♭5. Underwood's vocal ranges from G3 to F5.
Upon its release, "Good Girl" received general acclaim. Roughstock gave the song four stars and praised that "this is the best uptempo vocal that Carrie Underwood has given country radio.". Bill Lamb of About.com gave the song four out of five stars, noting that the song "crackles with rock guitar and vocal fireworks while encouraging audience participation with a singalong chorus that is pure pop." Bill Dukes of Taste of Country rated the song four and a half stars, saying, "By the third spin her confidence, energy and sheer talent will seduce you into believing every eight-note couldn’t be more perfectly placed." Kevin John Coyne of Country Universe gave the song a grade A and called it "an absolutely exhilarating record".
The short preview of the music video premiered on Entertainment Tonight on March 12, 2012. Later that night, the full video was released on Underwood's official Vevo page. It features Underwood playing a "Good Girl", and another girl, trying to persuade her alter ego that the man she is with is no good.
"Good Girl" was released for purchase on iTunes at 10pm on February 23, 2012. It sold 108,000 digital downloads in its first 3 days of sales, making it Underwood's fastest selling single ever. As of December 4, 2012, "Good Girl" has been certified Platinum in Canada, with more than 80,000 digital copies being sold. As of October 2015, "Good Girl" has sold 2 million copies in the United States.
- Digital download
- "Good Girl" — 3:25
Awards and nominations
American Country Awards
|2012||"Good Girl"||Female Music Video of the Year||Nominated|
|2012||"Good Girl"||Female Single of the Year||Nominated|
CMT Music Awards
|2012||"Good Girl"||Video of the Year||Won|
|2012||"Good Girl"||Female Video of the Year||Nominated|
World Music Awards
|2013||"Good Girl"||World's Best Music Video||Nominated|
With only 3 days of airplay, "Good Girl" debuted at number 30 on Billboard Hot Country Songs and debuted on the Billboard Hot 100 at number 24. It peaked at number 18 on the Billboard Hot 100, giving Underwood her twelfth top 20 on the chart. It also debuted at number 33 on the Canadian Hot 100 chart for the week of March 10, 2012. The song made its debut on the UK Radio Airplay chart the week beginning April 1. It was the highest new entry that week, debuting at 56. "Good Girl" hit number one on Hot Country Songs, becoming Underwood's twelfth number one hit on the chart. The song is also her second highest charting song on Adult Pop Songs behind "Before He Cheats", peaking at 20.
Charts and certifications
"Somethin' 'Bout a Truck"
by Kip Moore
|Billboard Hot Country Songs
June 16, 2012
by Eric Church
Radio and release history
|Worldwide||February 23, 2012||Digital download|
|United States||February 27, 2012||Country radio|
|April 23, 2012||Hot AC radio|
|United Kingdom||May 7, 2012||Digital download|
In popular culture
"Good Girl" was made available for download on June 26, 2012 to play in Rock Band 3 Basic and Pro mode utilizing real guitar / bass guitar, and MIDI compatible electronic drum kits / keyboards plus vocal harmonies. The song is also available on the game Just Dance 4 available on the Xbox 360 Kinect, PlayStation 3 PlayStation Move, Wii and Wii U. The Song is available as an exclusive to the North America Special Edition (NTSC) version of the game. The Song is also a Downloadable Content (DLC) song on the European, Australian and New Zealand Stores (PAL).
Adriana Louise sang the song in the second week of The Live Rounds on the third season of The Voice. Amber Carrington sang the song for her Blind Audition on the fourth season of The Voice. Kat Perkins sang the song for her Instant Save on the sixth season of The Voice; she later recorded a studio version for her 2014 EP, Fearless.
- Carrie, Underwood,. "Carrie Underwood "Good Girl" Sheet Music in Eb Major (transposable) - Download & Print".
- "Single Review: Carrie Underwood - "Good Girl"". Roughstock.com. Archived from the original on 29 February 2012. Retrieved 25 February 2012.
- Lamb, Bill. "Carrie Underwood - "Good Girl"". About.com. Retrieved 25 February 2012.
- Dukes, Bill. "Carrie Underwood, 'Good Girl' - Song Review". Taste of Country. Retrieved 25 February 2012.
- Coyne, Kevin. "Single Review: Carrie Underwood, "Good Girl"". Country Universe. Retrieved 28 February 2012.
- http://www.sunsetedit.com/london.html Archived 2013-10-26 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Kelly Clarkson Returns to Hot 100 Peak, The Wanted Hit Top 10".
- "Canadian single certifications – Carrie Underwood – Good Girl". Music Canada.
- Trust, Gary (October 11, 2015). "Ask Billboard: Chart Beat's 'Piano Man' Returns!". Billboard. Retrieved October 11, 2015.
- "Good Girl - Single by Carrie Underwood". itunes.apple.com. Archived from the original on 2012-02-29. Retrieved 2012-06-26.
- "UK Radio Airplay Chart". UK Airplay chart. Retrieved 11 April 2012.
- "Carrie Underwood – Chart history" Canadian Hot 100 for Carrie Underwood.
- "BDSRadio Charts (Canada Country National Airplay)". BDS Radio. Nielsen N.V. Archived from the original on 21 May 2012. Retrieved 9 July 2015.
- "Kelly Clarkson Returns to Hot 100 Peak, The Wanted Hit Top 10". Retrieved February 29, 2012.
- "Carrie Underwood – Chart history" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Carrie Underwood.
- "Carrie Underwood – Chart history" Billboard Adult Pop Songs for Carrie Underwood.
- "Best of 2012: Canadian Hot 100". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2012. Retrieved January 7, 2013.
- "Best of 2012 - Hot 100 Songs". Billboard.com. Retrieved 2012-12-14.
- "Best of 2012: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2012. Retrieved December 14, 2012.
- "American single certifications – Carrie Underwood – Good Girl". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH
- "Amazon.com: Fearless: Kat Perkins: MP3 Downloads". Amazon Music. Amazon.com. Retrieved February 24, 2017.