Good Girls Revolt
|Good Girls Revolt|
|Created by||Dana Calvo|
|Based on||The Good Girls Revolt|
by Lynn Povich
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||10 (list of episodes)|
|Running time||60 minutes|
|Original network||Prime Video|
|Original release||November 5, 2015 –|
October 28, 2016
Good Girls Revolt is an American period drama web television series. It is inspired by Lynn Povich's 2013 book The Good Girls Revolt and based on real-life events. The show was released on October 28, 2016, on Prime Video.
The series follows a group of young female researchers at News of the Week magazine in the revolutionary times of 1969. Women in the newsroom are relegated to low-level positions. Many researchers are more talented and better educated than their male counterparts (the reporters), and do writing that the reporters incorporate directly into their stories, yet are paid less. The women have a sense that they're paid a lot less, and during the series it emerges just how much lower their pay is. But also at issue is the fact that their writing is not recognized: on the rare occasions when a female researcher's writing is openly accepted (such as when a male reporter quit just before a deadline), the story is nonetheless published under the man's name only.
- Genevieve Angelson as Patricia "Patti" Robinson
- Anna Camp as Jane Hollander
- Erin Darke as Cindy Reston
- Hunter Parrish as Douglas "Doug" Rhodes
- Chris Diamantopoulos as Evan Phinnaeus "Finn" Woodhouse
- Joy Bryant as Eleanor Holmes Norton
- Jim Belushi as William "Wick" McFadden
- Grace Gummer as Nora Ephron
- Frankie Shaw as Naomi
- Leah Machelle Cohen as Vivian
- Daniel Eric Gold as Sam Rosenberg
- Teddy Bergman as Gabriel "Gabe" Greenstone
- J. P. Manoux as JP Crowley
- Michael Graziadei as Gregory
- Alexander DiPersia as Noah Benowitz
- Cheyenne Haynes as Novo
|No.||Title||Directed by||Written by||Original release date|
|1||"Pilot"||Liza Johnson||Dana Calvo||November 5, 2015|
|Life for young and vibrant Patti Robinson couldn't be better. As a researcher at News of the Week magazine in 1969 New York, she enjoys exciting, intellectual challenges and the occasional quickie with her reporter boyfriend at work. But while navigating the social upheaval of the times, she encounters bold new ideas and actions that propel her into new territory that even she never dreamt of.|
|2||"The Folo"||Scott Winant||Dana Calvo||October 28, 2016|
|Jane helps Sam nail down a challenging interview, while Patti's aspirations cause a rift in her relationship with Doug. The girls attend a consciousness-raising meeting, where Cindy makes a discovery about herself.|
|3||"The Futures"||Scott Winant||Darlene Hunt||October 28, 2016|
|When News of the Week's publisher comes to visit, Patti and Cindy are motivated to pursue equality in the workplace. Meanwhile, Cindy and Ned take their flirtationship up to a bold new level at work.|
|4||"Out of Pocket"||Dan Attias||Daniel Shattuck||October 28, 2016|
|Patti and Doug butt heads while Cindy gains a new sexual confidence. Finn returns home from a trip with his wife to find that Wick has disobeyed orders.|
|5||"The Year-Ender"||Gloria Muzio||Tracy McMillan||October 28, 2016|
|Patti invites her coworkers to a wild New Year's Eve party that pushes them out of their comfort zone. Jane receives some bad news and makes a change, while Cindy visits Eleanor in Harlem.|
|6||"Strikethrough"||Minkie Spiro||Richard E. Robbins||October 28, 2016|
|Patti lets Doug take credit for her work on a national scoop, as she and Eleanor enlist a key player in the lawsuit. Finn hires an eccentric new editor. Jane and Sam work on a tough field assignment.|
|7||"Puff Piece"||Daisy von Scherler Mayer||Bronwyn Garrity||October 28, 2016|
|Patti's birthday party devolves into chaos and Jane feels excluded from the other girls. Finn and his new editor let loose on a boy's trip.|
|8||"Exposé"||Roxann Dawson||Matt McGuinness||October 28, 2016|
|Jane asserts herself to the new editor but he presents her with a very unwelcome obstacle. Cindy reconsiders her marriage. Patti gets an opportunity to prove herself, but discovers she still has a lot to learn.|
|9||"Dateline"||Jennifer Getzinger||Darlene Hunt||October 28, 2016|
|Jane starts to question her loyalties and rallies for change. Patti finds herself in a love triangle. Jane and Sam help Naomi get a message to her husband in Vietnam.|
|10||"The Newser"||Scott Winant||Dana Calvo||October 28, 2016|
|As the girls prepare to file their complaint, the relationships with one another and the men in their lives are redefined.|
Good Girls Revolt has received generally positive reviews from critics, with most comparing it to Mad Men and some calling it a female version of that show. On Rotten Tomatoes, a score of 71% was reported with its critical consensus saying: "Good Girls Revolt features a compelling true story, told by a talented cast, even if the period drama hasn't yet achieved Mad Men-level mastery". On Metacritic, a 66 out of 100 metascore was reported indicating, "generally favorable reviews".
- Andreeva, Nellie (December 18, 2015). "Amazon Picks Up 5 New Primetime Series & 3 Kids Series, Renews 'Red Oaks' & 'Hand Of God'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved June 25, 2016.
- Schwartz, Ryan (August 7, 2016). "Transparent Season 3, High Castle Season 2, Woody Allen Comedy and Others Get Amazon Premiere Dates". TVLine.
- Andreeva, Nellie (December 2, 2016). "'Good Girls Revolt': No Season 2 At Amazon, Will Be Shopped Elsewhere". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved December 2, 2016.
- Goldberg, Lesley (December 2, 2016). "'Good Girls Revolt' Canceled at Amazon; Will Be Shopped Elsewhere". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved December 2, 2016.
- Steinberg, Brian (December 2, 2016). "Amazon Won't Move Forward With 'Good Girls Revolt'". Variety. Retrieved December 2, 2016.
- Deadline Hollywood, ‘Good Girls Revolt’ Is Officially Over After Rescue Efforts Fail, Says Creator by Nellie Andreeva, January 11, 2017, Retrieved Jan. 11, 2017.
- Patten, Dominic; Hipes, Patrick (13 July 2015). "Genevieve Angelson Joins Amazon's 'Good Girls Revolt' Pilot". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 25 June 2016.
- Patten, Dominic (13 July 2015). "Anna Camp Joins Amazon Pilot 'Good Girls Revolt'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 25 June 2016.
- Petski, Denise (17 July 2015). "Joy Bryant & Chris Diamantopoulos Join Amazon Pilot 'Good Girls Revolt'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 25 June 2016.
- "Good Girls Revolt: Season 1" – via www.rottentomatoes.com.
- "Good Girls Revolt" – via www.metacritic.com.