Good God's Urge
||This article possibly contains original research. (June 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Good God's Urge|
|Studio album by Porno for Pyros|
|Released||May 28, 1996|
|Porno for Pyros chronology|
|Singles from Good God's Urge|
Good God's Urge is the second studio album by American alternative rock band Porno for Pyros, released on May 28, 1996 on Warner Bros. It was the band's final album, and the only release to feature bass guitarist Mike Watt, who assisted the band in finishing the album after Martyn LeNoble left before all his bass tracks had been completed. There were three singles released from the album.
In addition to Watt, many guest musicians lent their musical talents to various songs. The song "Porpoise Head" featured Daniel Ash, David J and Kevin Haskins from Bauhaus, Love and Rockets and the Bubblemen. Good God's Urge also marked a reunion of ex-Jane's Addiction guitarist Dave Navarro, who played guitar on the album track "Freeway," with his former bandmates. The song also featured Navarro's Red Hot Chili Peppers bandmate, Flea, who would join Farrell, Perkins and Navarro for a Jane's Addiction reunion the following year.
Farrell's then-girlfriend, Christine Cagle, appeared on the album cover.
Porno for Pyros went on a brief hiatus shortly after this album's release because guitarist Peter DiStefano was diagnosed with cancer.
- "Porpoise Head" - 4:15
- "100 Ways" - 3:42
- "Tahitian Moon" - 3:47
- "Kimberly Austin" - 3:13
- "Thick of it All" - 4:43
- "Good God's Urge" - 3:52
- "Wishing Well" - 3:40
- "Dogs Rule the Night" - 3:22
- "Freeway" - 4:23
- "Bali Eyes" - 3:28
- Perry Farrell: Vocals, percussion, samples, harp, keyboards
- Peter DiStefano: Guitars, samples, backing vocals
- Martyn LeNoble: Bass (tracks 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 10)
- Stephen Perkins: Drums, percussion, samples, backing vocals
- Thomas Johnson: Samples and sounds, keyboards (track 2)
- David J: Bass (1)
- Mike Watt: Bass (2, 6)
- Flea: Bass (9)
- Daniel Ash : Guitar (1)
- Kevin Haskins: Samples (1)
- Dave Navarro: Guitar intro (9)
- Matt Hyde: Intro slide guitar (3), samples (8), slide guitar (10)
- Lili Haydn: Violin (2)
- Ralf Rickert: Trumpet (2)
- Leo Chelyapov: Clarinet (7)
- John Flannery: Space guitar intro and chorus (9), backing vocals and trash can (6)
- Josh "Bagel" Klassman: Backing vocals (9)
- Christine Cagle: Backing vocals (6, 9)
- Shawn London: Backing Vocals (6)
- Kimberly Juarez: Backing Vocals (2)
Album - Billboard (North America)
|1996||The Billboard 200||20|
Singles - Billboard (North America)
|1996||"Tahitian Moon"||Billboard Hot 100 Airplay||46|
|1996||"Tahitian Moon"||Modern Rock Tracks||8|
- Greg Prato. "Good God's Urge - Porno for Pyros". Allmusic. Retrieved 2012-02-18.
- Nisid Hajari (1996-05-31). "Good God's Urge Review". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 2013-02-23.
- "Porno for Pyros - Good God's Urge CD Album". CD Universe. Retrieved 2013-02-23.
- Arion Berger (1996-06-13). "Porno for Pyros: Good God's Urge : Music Reviews". Rolling Stone: 80–82. Archived from the original on 2007-12-06. Retrieved 2013-02-23.
- Gramlich, Chris (2013-04-08). "Jane's Addiction - What A Long, Strange Trip It's Been (Page 6) • Timeline •". Exclaim.ca. Retrieved 2013-05-24.