Good Goes the Bye
|"Good Goes the Bye"|
|Song by Kelly Clarkson|
|from the album Piece by Piece|
|Studio||The Listening Station, Nashville|
"Good Goes the Bye" is a song by American singer Kelly Clarkson from her seventh studio album, Piece by Piece (2015). Produced by Jason Halbert and Eric Olson, the song closes the standard edition of the album and was written by country music songwriters Shane McAnally, Natalie Hemby, and Jimmy Robbins. Originally penned as a country song, Clarkson, Halbert, and Olson revamped it into a synthpop record, inspired by the 1980s pop music the British musical duo Eurythmics. A beat-driven track, the song is about ending a failing relationship. "Good Goes the Bye" received its premiere on Viacom Media Networks's three channels, MTV, VH1, and CMT on March 2, 2015, the day before the album's release.
Lauded for its lovelorn closing of the album, "Good Goes the Bye" has received a positive reception from music critics. Following the release of Piece by Piece, it debuted on the South Korean Gaon Download Chart and The Official Finnish Airplay Chart as an album cut.
Background and composition
Problems playing this file? See media help.
"Good Goes the Bye" was written by Shane McAnally, Natalie Hemby, and Jimmy Robbins. McAnnally had previously worked with Kelly Clarkson on the tracks "Tie It Up" (2013) "Wrapped in Red" (2013) while Hemby had previously collaborated with Clarkson on "Don't Rush" (2012). In 2014, McAnally and Hemby had sent a country demo of the song featuring Hemby's vocals to Clarkson while working on a country recording project with her. Upon hearing it, Clarkson and her producer Jason Halbert felt that the demo could be transformed into a pop track featuring a 1980s Eurythmics beat and decided to include it as the closing record on her seventh studio album, Piece by Piece (2015). She remarked, "The great thing about people like Shane and Natalie is that they just write classic melodies and clever lyrics. So it really can float though any genre." Further adding that they chose the song based on wherever it will shine the brightest, she remarked, ""Good Goes the Bye" was a good country song, but it's a great pop song."
"Good Goes the Bye" is a '80s-inspired mid-tempo synthpop track. Sonically inspired by music of the British musical duo Eurythmics, Clarkson revealed that the song's driving source is very much its beats. Written in the key of Db major, the song is about the end of a failing relationship, utilizing the adage "Rome wasn't built in a day" and a simile of pulling the fuse out of grenades in its lyrical content, while its chorus features the idioms such as slam the door and "break the heart" in its structure. On March 2, 2015, the day before Piece by Piece's street date, RCA Records, The Hershey Company and Viacom Media Networks premiered the track on three of Viacom's music channels: MTV, VH1, and CMT.
Critical reception and chart performance
"Good Goes the Bye" has received a positive response from music critics. Reviewing Piece by Piece for AllMusic, senior editor Stephen Thomas Erlewine remarked that the song floats upon its percolating beats and included it as one of the three tracks that strike a right balance of Clarkson's indomitable character on the album's fresh electronic beats. Idolator's Jonathan Riggs highlighted it as "Best Song That Wasn't the Single" on the album, describing it as utterly gorgeous and a quintessential Kelly Clarkson, further adding that "somehow she manages to simultaneously project sadness, bravery, wisdom, and healing". Jason Scott of Popdust.com commended the track as an alt-pop explosion that closes the album. In his review for The Dallas Morning News's Guide Live section, music critic Hunter Hauk wrote that the song takes the album out in a fine lovesick fashion, but was ambivalent on the "hush goes the phone" lyric in the chorus. Four months following the release of Piece by Piece, made its debut chart appearance on The Official Finnish Airplay Chart at number 92 on the chart week ending July 7, 2015.
Credits and personnel
- Engineered at The Listening Station, Nashville, Tennessee
|Finnish Airplay (Radiosoittolista)||92|
|South Korea International Downloads (Gaon)||72|
- Runtagh, Jordan (March 2, 2015). "Song Premiere: Hear Kelly Clarkson's New Track "Good Goes The Bye" + Thoughts From The Singer Herself!". VH1. Viacom Media Networks. Archived from the original on March 5, 2015. Retrieved July 9, 2015.
- Wood, Michael (March 5, 2015). "Q&A: Kelly Clarkson: 'Before this, it was Kelly Clarkson the man-hater'". Los Angeles Times. Tribune Media. Retrieved July 9, 2015.
- Rosen, Craig (August 15, 2013). "Bride-to-Be Kelly Clarkson Reveals Wedding-Themed Video 'Tie It Up'". Yahoo! Music. Retrieved July 9, 2015.
- Freeman, Jon (November 12, 2013). "Wrapped in Red by Kelly Clarkson". Country Weekly. American Media, Inc. Archived from the original on November 13, 2013. Retrieved July 9, 2015.
- "How I Wrote That Song Spotlight: Panelist Natalie Hemby". Broadcast Music, Inc. January 29, 2015. Retrieved July 9, 2015.
- Gracie, Bianca (March 2, 2015). "Kelly Clarkson's "Good Goes The Bye", "Someone" & "Dance With Me": Listen To The 'Piece By Piece' Tracks". Idolator. SpinMedia. Retrieved July 9, 2015.
- Lipshutz, Jason (March 2, 2015). "Kelly Clarkson Q&A: The Pop Superstar on 'Piece By Piece,' Recording While Pregnant & Bringing a Crib on Her Tour Bus". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Archived from the original on March 5, 2015. Retrieved July 9, 2015.
- Clarkson, Kelly. Piece by Piece (Piano/Vocal/Guitar Artist Songbook). Hal Leonard Corporation. ISBN 9781495022173.
- "Grammy Award Winner Kelly Clarkson Exclusively Premieres New Music from Piece by Piece on "MTV / VH1 / CMT First" Presented by Reese's". Business Wire (Press release). Hershey, Pennsylvania/New York City: Berkshire Hathaway. February 27, 2015. Archived from the original on March 6, 2015. Retrieved July 9, 2015.
- Erlewine, Stephen Thomas. "Piece by Piece – Kelly Clarkson". AllMusic. All Media Network. Archived from the original on March 6, 2015. Retrieved July 9, 2015.
- Riggs, Jonathan (March 3, 2015). "Kelly Clarkson's 'Piece By Piece': Album Review". Idolator. SpinMedia. Archived from the original on March 7, 2015. Retrieved July 9, 2015.
- Scott, Jason (March 1, 2015). "Kelly Clarkson Reinvents Herself 'Piece By Piece' — Album Review". Popdust.com. Popdust.com, Inc. Retrieved June 28, 2015.
- Hauk, Hunter (March 2, 2015). "Kelly Clarkson's 'Piece by Piece' LP reviewed track by track". The Dallas Morning News. A. H. Belo Corporation. Retrieved July 9, 2015.
- "Radiosoittolista 26/2015". Suomen virallinen lista. Musiikkituottajat – IFPI Finland. July 7, 2015. Retrieved July 9, 2015.
Piece By Piece (booklet). Kelly Clarkson. 19 Recordings Limited under exclusive license to RCA Records. 2015. 88875070852.
- "Good Goes the Bye" (metadata). Kelly Clarkson. 19 Recordings Limited under exclusive license to RCA Records. 2015. GBCTA1500013.
- "Kelly Clarkson: Good Goes the Bye" (in Finnish). Musiikkituottajat – IFPI Finland. Retrieved July 9, 2015.
- "2015년 11주차 Download Chart" (in Korean). Gaon. March 7, 2015. Retrieved November 26, 2015.