|Good Governance Day|
|Significance||Birth anniversary of former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee|
|Next time||25 December 2023|
Treaties and accords
Missions and agencies
Wars and attacks
Gallery: Picture, Sound, Video
Good Governance Day (Hindi: सुशासन दिवस, IAST: Suśāsan Divas) is observed in India annually on the twenty-fifth day of December, the birth anniversary of former-Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee. Good Governance Day was established in 2014 to honor Prime Minister Vajpayee by fostering awareness among the Indian people of accountability in government.
On 23 December 2014, the ninety-year old former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee, and Pandit Madan Mohan Malaviya (posthumously) were announced as recipients of India's highest civilian award for merit, the Bharat Ratna, by Indian President Pranab Mukherjee.
Following the announcement, the newly elected administration of Prime Minister Narendra Modi established that the birth anniversary of the former Prime Minister would be henceforth commemorated annually in India as Good Governance Day.
Good Governance Index
In 2019, the Modi government launched the Good Governance Index, "a scientifically prepared tool based on various parameters of good governance which assess the level of any state at a given point of time and help in shaping future development."
- National Informatics Centre Good Governance Day Page
- Centre to celebrate 'Good Governance Day' on Christmas
- Government unveils mega plan for Good Governance Day
- "Good Governance Day 2020: History,Quotes,Ideal Governance,Importance". S A NEWS. 25 December 2020. Retrieved 25 December 2020.
- Now, a PMO note says Christmas is a working day for government
- "PIB launches webpage on Good Governance". Business Standard India. 23 December 2014.
- Bharat Ratna to Be Conferred on Vajpayee, nutai Mohan Malaviya
- "Good Governance Day 2020: Date, significance and quotes". India Today. 25 December 2020. Retrieved 25 December 2020.
- India is secular: Congress lambasts BJP for trying to reduce importance of Christmas
- "What is Good Governance Day, and how is it marked?". The Indian Express. 25 December 2022. Retrieved 26 December 2022.