Good Morning Call
|Good Morning Call|
Cover of volume 2 with Nao and Uehara
|Written by||Yue Takasuka|
|Original run||September 1997 – April 2002|
|Original video animation|
|Released||August 2, 2001|
|Good Morning Kiss|
|Written by||Yue Takasuka|
|Original run||May 15, 2007 – present|
|Directed by||Yo Kawahara, Takashi Fujio|
|Written by||Keiko Kanome, Yuna Suzuki, Rieko Obayashi, Yu Kanda|
|Original network||Fuji TV|
|Original run||February 12, 2016 – June 10, 2016|
Good Morning Call (グッドモーニング・コール guddomōningu kōru) is a romantic comedy-drama shōjo manga series created by Yue Takasuka. Part of the story has been adapted into an OVA. In 2007, a sequel manga, Good Morning Kiss (グッドモーニング・キス guddomōningu kisu), was serialized in Cookie. As of September 2011, eight volumes have been released.
A live-action television adaptation was co-produced by Fuji TV (Japan) & Netflix (worldwide). Like the manga, the series is set in Tokyo and follows the relationships of the main characters from high school to university. Season one aired in 2016, and a second season aired in 2017 under the title Good Morning Call: Our Campus Days. According to the program's social media, there is currently discussion of a third season.
Teenager Nao Yoshikawa has moved into her own 2DK apartment in the city as her parents have returned to the country to manage the family farm. However, she soon discovers that Hisashi Uehara, a good-looking classmate, is also moving in. Realizing that they have been scammed into renting the same apartment, they agree to become roommates in order to make the rental payment. The story follows their adventures as they try to keep their cohabitation a secret from their classmates, with Nao developing romantic feelings for Hisashi as she gets to know him better.
- Nao Yoshikawa (吉川 菜緒 Yoshikawa Nao)
- Voiced by: Yuka Tokumitsu; Played by: Haruka Fukuhara
- Nao is a teenage girl who tends to be a little air-headed and easygoing. With a semester of junior high school to finish, she convinces her parents to let her stay in the city on the condition that she keep up her grades. Because of a scam in her rental agreement, she and Hisashi Uehara end up sharing an apartment until other options open up.Ch. 1 Nao is more often annoyed by Hisashi than attracted by his looks like her classmates. However, she begins to care about getting along with him and grows to like him more than just as a roommate. She starts to date Hisashi later in the story. In the end of the manga, she and Uehara move into different apartments because the landlady of their previous apartment had a son who came back from America and had wanted to rent out a room for him and his girlfriend. When Nao agrees, she looks for other apartments for two and learns that Uehara wishes to live alone to become independent. Although at first shocked and upset, she respects his decision only to find out that the two now live next door to each other because of the help of the landlady of their previous apartment and Nakatsugawa. In the live-action series, she and her friends start as second years in high school.
- The family name Yoshikawa comes from fashion model and actress Hinano Yoshikawa, and her given name Nao is based on the author's friend's name. The author has said that Nao isn't based on any specific person. The author also noted that her readers like Nao's silly look.Ch. 1 author notes
- Hisashi Uehara (上原 久志 Uehara Hisashi)
- Voiced by: Eiji Moriyama; Played by: Shunya Shiraishi
- A popular and good-looking guy, and unsurprisingly has a bunch of fangirls. In fact, he made the school's "Top Three Hottest Guys"Ch. 1 for three years in a row. He lives together with Nao because of the whole renting fiasco.Ch. 1 He is very aloof and antisocial, but can get top grades without studying. Because he is very mature looking, he is commonly believed to be older than he looks. In Good Morning Kiss, it is stated that he looks a lot like his mother. Both of his parents died while he was still an elementary school student. He had a big crush on Yuri for 6 years (8 years in the live-action drama) but was heartbroken when she had married his older brother despite her knowing about his crush on her. He then started to date Nao later in the story. He gets mad or jealous whenever Abe shows up out of nowhere or whenever he or any other boy hangs out with Nao. Continuing to give off the cold shoulder, he's outspoken and slowly lightens up after dating with Nao Yoshikawa. To make him confess that he liked Nao, in Chapter 15, Yuri hid Nao in her room and asked Uehara why he did not want to come home. He admitted that it was because he liked Nao, and that although his original reason for leaving home was because he was heartbroken from his older brother's marriage with Yuri, he has gotten over his crush on her and had wanted to be with Nao. Nao slipped down by accident, and he hears her. He tells her he really meant it after Yuri leaves, and does not get his feelings replied back to until Valentine's Day, when they officially become a couple. He lies about his age to get a job and has a surprisingly large appetite. In the end of the manga, he and Nao move into different apartments because the landlady of their previous apartment had a son who came back from America and had wanted to rent out a room for him and his girlfriend. When they agree, Uehara tells Nao that he wants to live alone because he wants to be more independent but tells her that they will never be apart. This ends up as a rumor that Uehara had proposed to Nao and had spread across the entire town. Uehara clarifies to Nao that he did not propose to her but wants them to still be together. When he and Nao move into their apartments, they learn that they live next door to each other because of the help of the landlady of their previous apartment and Nakatsugawa.
- Marina Konno (紺野 まりな Konno Marina)
- Voiced by: Maki Saitō; Played by: Moe Arai
- One of Nao's best friends, and very loyal. She is boy-crazy and is very knowledgeable when it comes to that.Ch. 1-2 She also keeps a book of all the hot boys she knows. Although Marina is very knowledgeable about them, she says she would never go out with anyone she doesn't like. Later in the story, she starts going out with Mi-chan. Usually, once starting to date a boy, she breaks up with him shortly after. Her only serious boyfriend has been and is still Mi-chan. However, when she gets into a fight with him about her hair, she visits him with Nao's advice and sees him with another girl. However, the girl with Mi-chan was someone in his study group. Marina confesses that she knew Mi-chan was not cheating on her but feels insecure about their relationship because she worries that he will establish a new life at his new high school and that he will no longer have room for her and says she may break up with him. He waits for her to tell her that he does not want them to break up and she tells him she was only joking. He sighs with relief and Marina kisses his cheek, ending their fight. She also takes computer classes.
- Yuichi Mitsuishi
- Played by: Shugo Nagashima
- Nao's other best friend, also known as Mi-chan.Ch. 1 He is the son of a doctor.Ch. 3 He starts dating Marina later on in the series. He has loved Marina as far as he has known. In one of the chapters, Marina thought that he was getting too busy with his school,(while everyone goes to Kubo High,he goes to a different high school because of sports)he once cancelled on a date because he had to study for exams, so Nao and Marina were shopping and Nao asked her to just visit him (on the same day their date had been cancelled). After Marina agreed, they reached Mi-chan's house just to find him coming down the stairs with another girl. Marina gets heart-broken and then leaves without saying a word upon seeing this scene. However, it turns out to be a misunderstanding, because when Nao questions Mi-chan about this, she finds out its just his study group. Nao talks to Marina about it and tries to explain to her that it was a misunderstanding, to which she replies by saying "Maybe I should just break up with him!" Upon hearing this, Mi-chan later makes-up with her when she comes back home from her computer classes and finds Mi-chan sitting on the stairs of her front door. When she asks him since when he was there, he replies saying that he went there right after his school was over(which was 5 hours)and then she asks him about what happened to his club and he says he skipped. This really touches her and she gives him a kiss on his left cheek. After this they make-up.
- Yuri Uehara
- Voiced by: Michiko Neya; Played by: Erika Mori
- Hisashi's sister-in-law.Ch. 3 She's young and pretty, and apparently Hisashi's had a crush on her for six years before she went and married his older brother. It was because of this that Hisashi had run away from home in the first place. Yuri is nice and carefree, and becomes good friends with Nao. She turns into a "kissing monster" when she's drunk. She enjoys shopping.Ch. 4
- Jun Abe (阿部 順 Abe Jun)
- Voiced by: Ryō Naitō; Played by: Koya Nagasawa
- Nao's classmate, who they call 'Abecchi'. He is called the "King of Confessions" because he often goes around asking girls out, but gets rejected every single time. He wants a girlfriend so badly that almost any (cute) girl will do. When he was younger, he was friends with a girl who he saw as his girlfriend. However, when he hears that she becomes someone else's girlfriend, he asks her why and she tells him it was because he had never said anything, which is also why he confesses to random (cute) girls. Because of this incident, he warns Nao to be careful to not have misunderstandings between her and Uehara regarding their relationship. He asks out Nao, and obviously she rejects him. Despite that, Nao and Abe remain good friends. On the same Valentine's Day as the day Nao had confirmed Uehara's feelings for her, he receives chocolate from a cute girl named Tsukasa Ooishi, who after becoming a couple with Abe, moves to England, then moves back four months later. Some of his later crushes are Nanako and Yuri. He also considers Uehara his best friend.
- Nanako Kusanagi
- Played by: Hinako Tanaka
- The twelve-year-old daughter of the owner of the shop that Hisashi works at. Although on the outside she is a sweet, angelic girl, her true self is that of a spoiled, selfish brat. She wants Hisashi for her boyfriend and loves to make fun of Nao. Luckily Hisashi is not so oblivious in this case and knows that she is two-faced. In the final chapter, she realizes that her feelings for Hisashi were nothing more than admiration and was not truly love.
- Issei Sata
- Played by: Kentaro Matsuo
- He is the son of the owner of a ramen shop. Nao starts working there after getting into an accident on the road when he hits her with his bike(it was actually her fault because she was not concentrating on the traffic lights). His father was sick so he had to take care of the shop all alone. During the accident Nao broke bowls which were specially made bowls worth 13,000,000 yen (They later find out that they had been tricked since no bowls could be that expensive) given to them by their most rich and special customer, Nakatsugawa-Sama. They go to apologize to him and when they tell him, he says that the person who made them was a person he loved very dearly. At the same time Landlady-san, the owner of the apartment Hisashi and Nao live in, comes in and gives him new, handmade bowls. They find out that the 'Boyfriend' that she keeps mentioning is Nakatsugawa-sama and the bowls now get replaced by the bowls that she newly made for him. She was working for them in debt for the bowls and now she didn't need to so she leaves. Later she realizes that she can't work anywhere else so she comes back. When Issei is at work, he has a really furious face but outside, he is really sweet and appears to have feelings for Nao. But in chapter 53, he realizes that it is just that he loves her as a sister.
- Nao's friend upon entering university. She is a plain looking woman with glasses. She is single and often daydreams about what it would be like to be in a relationship with. Nao and Marina state that she and Abe would be a perfect couple for one another since they are alike in their daydreams about relationships. This causes Ota to blush and run away from Abe when she sees him, denying that she would never enter into a relationship with him.
- Daichi Shinozaki
- Played by: Dori Sakurada
- A drama original character, he is Nao's childhood friend, and the senior of the three best-looking guys at Nao's high school, while Nao and her friends are juniors. He is usually helping out his schoolmates on various activities. He is fond of Nao and confesses his love to her in the sixth episode although he tells her not to answer right away. He is kind and caring, but also protective when it come to Nao. He often tells Nao that he would treat her better than how Uehara does.
- Good Morning Call
- ISBN 4-08-856079-5 published on May 15, 1998
- ISBN 4-08-856104-X published on October 15, 1998
- ISBN 4-08-856131-7 published on March 15, 1999
- ISBN 4-08-856157-0 published on August 6, 1999
- ISBN 4-08-856184-8 published on January 14, 2000
- ISBN 4-08-856216-X published in July 2000
- ISBN 4-08-856243-7 published in December 2000
- ISBN 4-08-856273-9 published in April 2001
- ISBN 4-08-856311-5 published in September 2001
- ISBN 4-08-856349-2 published in February 2002
- ISBN 4-08-856373-5 published in May 2002
- Good Morning Kiss
- "Good Morning Call Manga Gets Live-Action Drama in February". Anime News Network. Retrieved July 13, 2016.
- "Good Morning Call - Our Campus Days". Netflix. Retrieved November 29, 2017.