Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Raj Mehta|
|Written by||Jyoti Kapoor|
|Screenplay by||Jyoti Kapoor|
|Story by||Jyoti Kapoor|
John Stewart Eduri
|Edited by||Manish More|
|Distributed by||Zee Studios|
|Box office||est. ₹318.57 crore|
Good Newwz is a 2019 Indian Hindi-language comedy film directed by Raj Mehta in his directorial debut and produced by Karan Johar, Apoorva Mehta, Hiroo Yash Johar, Shashank Khaitan and Aruna Bhatia under their respective banners Dharma Productions and Cape of Good Films. Starring Akshay Kumar, Kareena Kapoor Khan, Diljit Dosanjh and Kiara Advani in the lead roles, the film revolves around two couples tryst with in vitro fertilisation. The shooting commenced in November 2018 and was completed in April 2019. It was theatrically released in India on 27 December 2019.
Varun Batra is the CEO of a Volkswagen showroom in Mumbai. He and his wife Deepti "Deepu" Batra are a happily married couple going on seven years. However, they struggle to conceive a baby. Varun's sister Richa suggests the couple meet reputed fertility specialist Anand Joshi, who suggests they do in vitro fertilisation (IVF), a fertility technique that will enhance their chances. They agree, Varun submits sperm samples, and doctor Anand seemingly places Varun's sperm in Deepu's embryo.
12 days later, Varun and Deepu are hastily summoned by Anand's wife, Dr. Sandhya Joshi. Here, Varun and Deepu encounter the other Batra couple, Honey Batra and Monika "Moni" Batra , a couple from Chandigarh, who have taken up IVF as well. Anand guiltily reveals that a sperm mix-up has occurred: Varun's sperm have been mixed with Moni's eggs, and Honey's sperm with Deepu's eggs. Shocked beyond belief, both couples attack the two doctors. The doctors suggest that the couples go for a minor procedure so there is no chance of pregnancy. Varun later finds out from Honey that Moni is pregnant with Varun's child, but his rudeness causes Honey to fear the loss of his own child as Deepu has also gotten pregnant. He vows to prevent an abortion on Deepu's part, and he and Moni rent out an apartment just above Varun's and Deepu's, much to the couple's shock.
Varun and Deepu initially project frustration against Honey and Moni the first six months of pregnancy for interfering in their lives. However, during a routine check-up in the seventh month of pregnancy, Sandhya advises Deepu to try talking to Moni, who is probably going through as much as she is emotionally. Realizing that she needs to try understanding the situation, Deepu asks Moni out for food, during which they start getting to know each other. Deepu learns that Moni had suffered two miscarriages, making her sympathize, and the women bond. However, Varun still nurses a negative attitude, especially since Deepu is not carrying his child. Deepu takes a stand, telling Varun that he has never even tried to understand or care for what she has been going through ever since all of this happened.
Honey and Varun begin bonding at a bar until Honey expresses concern over Deepu's work commitments, which he thinks will have a negative impact on the child. Varun, incensed, tells Honey to buzz off, and the mood quickly puts an end to the bonding. An argument between the two escalates until Varun storms out and Honey is arrested.
That night, Moni knocks on Deepu's door in desperation: she has gone into premature labor and Honey is nowhere to be found. Varun hurriedly drives Moni to the hospital and she gives birth. However, the newborn is shifted to a critical unit in grave condition, having been born with a respiratory defect, accelerated by Moni's history of miscarriages, with little chance of survival. As it hits him that the baby is in fact his, Varun begins crying and hugs Honey when Honey arrives. Varun goes home and breaks down in Deepu's arms, apologizing for his previous behavior.
For a few weeks, both couples pray for the baby's recovery and Moni remains in the hospital. The baby finally recovers and Deepu too has a successful delivery. Varun, now a changed man, invites Honey and Moni to meet the baby. Both couples finally bond and accept each other, holding each other's babies in their arms.
- Akshay Kumar as Varun Batra
- Kareena Kapoor Khan as Deepti Batra
- Diljit Dosanjh as Honey Batra
- Kiara Advani as Monika Batra
- Tisca Chopra as Dr. Sandhya Joshi
- Adil Hussain as Dr. Anand Joshi
- Anjana Sukhani as Richa Batra
- Faisal Rashid as Vivek
- Mohit Raina in a cameo appearance as Murari, the flight passenger beside Deepti
- Karan Johar in the song "Chandigarh Mein"
- Badshah in the song "Chandigarh Mein"
- Harrdy Sandhu in the song "Chandigarh Mein"
- Sukhbir in the song "Sauda Khara Khara"
Filming commenced in December 2018, with Dosanjh and Advani filming their scenes. Kumar and Kapoor joined filming in January and announced it by posting on Instagram. During a recent interview and in a twitter post, Kumar said about Kapoor, "We are extremely fond of each other. Bebo and Lolo tease me about the amount of money I’m making and I tease them about having a flat in every building in Bandra. That’s our fun banter.”' Anjana Sukhani of Golmaal fame joined the cast to essay an important role, which was revealed to be that of Kumar's sister. The filming was finished in the first week of April 2019.
Marketing and release
The film was slated to release on 6 September but was pushed forward to 29 November, later it was again pushed forward to release on 27 December 2019.The official posters were released on 14 November 2019.
The film was theatrically released in India on 27 December 2019.
|Soundtrack album by|
|Released||26 December 2019|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|Label||Zee Music Company|
The film's music is composed by Tanishk Bagchi, Rochak Kohli, Lauv, Lijo George–DJ Chetas, Manj Musik–Herbie Sahara, Sukhbir and Kshmr. The songs are written by Kumaar, Rashmi Virag, Tanishk Bagchi, Sukhbir, Gurpreet Saini, Ari Leff, Michael Pollock, Herbie Sahara and Vayu. The background score has been composed by John Stewart Eduri.
The song "Sauda Khara Khara" is a remake of Sukhbir's original hit, recreated by Lijo George-DJ Chetas, while the song "Laal Ghagraa" is a remake of Sahara's and Musik's original hit, and has been recreated by Bagchi, who added an interlude from Daler Mehndi's hit song "Ho Jayegi Balle Balle" to the recreated version.
|1.||"Chandigarh Mein"||Tanishk Bagchi, Badshah||Tanishk Bagchi||Badshah, Harrdy Sandhu, Lisa Mishra, Asees Kaur||3:25|
|2.||"Sauda Khara Khara"||Kumaar||Lijo George - DJ Chetas, Sukhbir||Diljit Dosanjh, Sukhbir, Dhvani Bhanushali||3:31|
|3.||"Maana Dil"||Rashmi Virag||Tanishk Bagchi||B Praak||3:55|
|4.||"Laal Ghaghra"||Tanishk Bagchi, Herbie Sahara||Tanishk Bagchi, Manj Musik–Herbie Sahara||Manj Musik, Herbie Sahara, Neha Kakkar||4:28|
|5.||"Dil Na Jaaneya"||Gurpreet Saini, Ari Leff, Michael Pollock||Rochak Kohli, Lauv||Rochak Kohli, Lauv, Akasa||3:51|
|7.||"Dil Na Jaaneya" (Unplugged)||Gurpreet Saini||Rochak Kohli||Arijit Singh||3:03|
|8.||"Good Newwz Theme"||-||Kshmr, Tanishk Bagchi||-||2:45|
Taran Adarsh gave the film 4 out of 5 stars and said, 'Excellent. This one’s a sure-fire hit. Smart writing. Fantastic humour. Heartfelt emotions... Superb performances Akshay, Kareena, Diljit, Kiara. 2019 will conclude with a big winner, with Good Newwz.' Komal Nahta of Film Information opined that, 'The film will keep everyone (public, producers, distributors and exhibitors) happy.'
Good Newwz earned ₹17.56 crore at the domestic box office on its opening day. On the second day, the film collected ₹21.78 crore, On the third day, the film collected ₹25.65 crore, taking total opening weekend collection to ₹65.99 crore.
As of 21 February 2020[update], with a gross of ₹244.21 crore in India and ₹74.36 crore overseas, the film has a worldwide gross collection of ₹318.57 crore and is the fifth highest grossing Bollywood film of 2019.
- "Akshay Kumar, Kareena Kapoor Khan's Good News to release on December 27". Hindustan Times. 27 April 2019. Retrieved 27 December 2019.
- "Good Newwz (2019)". British Board of Film Classification. Archived from the original on 20 December 2019. Retrieved 20 December 2019.
- "Good News for 'Good Newwz' at the BO with Rs 39.34 Cr in Two Days". The Quint. 28 December 2019. Retrieved 21 January 2020.
- "Good Newwz Box Office". Bollywood Hungama. Archived from the original on 24 December 2019. Retrieved 22 February 2020.
- "Akshay Kumar is the Only Male Superstar Who Never Asks Who the Director is, Says Karan Johar". News18. 18 November 2018. Archived from the original on 27 December 2019. Retrieved 27 December 2019.
- "'Good News'! That's the title of Kareena Kapoor Khan's next with Akshay Kumar". DNA India. 31 July 2018. Archived from the original on 1 February 2019. Retrieved 14 February 2019.
- Diljit Dosanjh [@diljitdosanjh] (30 November 2018). "#GOODNEWS @DharmaMovies @karanjohar Sir @akshaykumar Sir #KareennaKapoorKhan Ji @Advani_Kiara #RajMehta Sir @ShashankKhaitan Sir 😊🙏🏽 It's a Dream Come True When you get to Work with Your Favourite Productions House and an Awesome TEAM 😊 SHUKAR 🙏🏽 LOVE MY FANS 😊🙏🏽 t.co/eGDcPBnUi4" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "Karan Johar's Good News goes on floors today, Akshay Kumar and Kareena Kapoor Khan to join later". Times Now. 30 November 2018. Archived from the original on 30 November 2018. Retrieved 14 February 2019.
- "Akshay Kumar shares new pic with pouty co-star Kareena Kapoor from sets of Good News". Hindustan Timesimes. 11 February 2019. Archived from the original on 14 February 2019. Retrieved 14 February 2019.
- "Good News: Akshay Kumar on Kareena Kapoor Khan open up about their friendly banter". www.filmsbit.com. Archived from the original on 8 April 2019. Retrieved 8 April 2019.
- "SCOOP! Akshay Kumar – Kareena Kapoor Khan's Good News gets a new cast member (read details inside)". Bollywood Hungama. 10 April 2019. Archived from the original on 10 April 2019. Retrieved 10 April 2019.
- "Good News cast announce film's wrap; Akshay Kumar, Kareena Kapoor starrer to release on 6 September". First Post. 7 April 2019. Archived from the original on 16 April 2019. Retrieved 16 April 2019.
- "'Good Newwz' first look posters: Akshay Kumar gives us a glimpse of the biggest goof-up of the year". The Times of India. 14 November 2019. Archived from the original on 15 November 2019. Retrieved 15 November 2019.
- "Good Newwz posters: Akshay Kumar, Diljit Dosanjh are squeezed between Kareena Kapoor, Kiara's baby bumps". Hindustan Times. 14 November 2019. Archived from the original on 15 November 2019. Retrieved 15 November 2019.
- "Good Newwz Is ROFL Posters Of Akshay Kumar, Kareena Kapoor, Kiara Advani, Diljit Dosanjh". NDTV. 14 November 2019. Archived from the original on 15 November 2019. Retrieved 15 November 2019.
- Dharma Productions (18 November 2019). "Good Newwz - Official Trailer - Akshay, Kareena, Diljit, Kiara - Raj Mehta - In cinemas 27th Dec". Archived from the original on 18 November 2019. Retrieved 18 November 2019 – via YouTube.
- "Good Newwz trailer: Akshay Kumar, Kareena Kapoor star in this comedy of errors, directed by Raj Mehta". Firstpost.com. 18 November 2019. Archived from the original on 19 November 2019. Retrieved 18 November 2019.
- "It's Akshay Kumar-Kareena Kapoor vs Kiara Advani-Diljit Dosanjh in Good Newwz Trailer". News18. 18 November 2019. Archived from the original on 19 November 2019. Retrieved 18 November 2019.
- Dharma Productions (19 December 2019). "Good Newwz - Trailer 2 - Batra v/s Batra - Akshay, Kareena, Diljit & Kiara - Raj Mehta - 27th Dec". Archived from the original on 19 December 2019. Retrieved 19 December 2019 – via YouTube.
- "Good Newwz - Original Motion Picture Soundtrack". Jio Saavn. Archived from the original on 11 December 2019. Retrieved 26 December 2019.
- adarsh, taran (25 December 2019). "#OneWordReview...#GoodNewwz: EXCELLENT. Rating: This one's a SURE-FIRE HIT... Smart writing. Fantastic humour. Heartfelt emotions... Superb performances [#Akshay, #Kareena, #Diljit, #Kiara]...2019 will conclude with a big winner, with #GoodNewwz. #GoodNewwzReview pic.twitter.com/9YUx24tiTB". @taran_adarsh. Archived from the original on 25 December 2019. Retrieved 28 December 2019.
- Information, Film. "'GOOD NEWWZ' | 27 December 2019 – Film Information". Retrieved 18 January 2020.
- "Bollywood Top Grossers Worldwide". Bollywood Hungama. Archived from the original on 18 November 2019. Retrieved 22 February 2020.
- Sunder, Gautam (4 February 2020). "Amazon Prime February 2020 releases: 'Darbar', 'Once Upon A Time In Hollywood', 'Hunters' and more". The Hindu. Retrieved 11 March 2020.