Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Raj Mehta|
|Written by||Jyoti Kapoor|
|Screenplay by||Jyoti Kapoor|
|Story by||Jyoti Kapoor|
John Stewart Eduri
|Edited by||Manish More|
|Distributed by||Zee Studios|
|Box office||est. ₹316.18 crore|
Good Newwz is a 2019 Indian Hindi-language comedy film directed by Raj Mehta in his directorial debut and produced by Karan Johar, Apoorva Mehta, Hiroo Yash Johar, Shashank Khaitan and Aruna Bhatia under their respective banners Dharma Productions and Cape of Good Films. Starring Akshay Kumar, Kareena Kapoor Khan, Diljit Dosanjh, and Kiara Advani in the lead roles, the film revolves around two couples tryst with in vitro fertilisation.
Principal photography commenced in November 2018 and was completed in April 2019. It was theatrically released in India on 27 December 2019.
Varun and Deepti "Deepu" Batra, a Mumbai-based couple, struggle to conceive a baby, since Varun constantly misses out on a desperate Deepu's ovulation days, and is rather careless about himself, smoking and drinking heavily. During a visit to his family in Delhi, Varun receives a suggestion from his sister Richa and brother-in-law Vivek, and seeks with Deepu to meet reputed fertility specialist Anand Joshi, who tells them that while Deepu has a low ovulation rate, Varun has weak swimmers (sperms) in a reflection of the couple's earlier failed attempts. He suggests they follow in vitro fertilisation (IVF), a fertility technique that will perhaps enhance their chances. Both of them agree, and submit their samples for the same.
12 days after their visit to the hospital, Varun and Deepu are summoned by Anand's wife, Sandhya Joshi, as there is an emergency. It is at this stage that Varun and Deepu encounter Honey and Monika "Moni" Batra, a couple from Chandigarh, who seem to have taken up IVF as well. Both couples are called for, and Anand reveals shamefacedly that a goof-up has occurred: Varun's swimmers have been mixed with Moni's eggs, and Honey's swimmers with Deepu's eggs. Shocked beyond belief, both couples attack the two doctors, with Deepu storming out in anger, while Moni seeks compensation.
Several days later, Varun receives a phone call from Honey and finds out that Moni is pregnant, but his rudeness causes Honey to fear the loss of his child as he senses that Deepu has also gotten pregnant. Dreading the threat in Varun's words when he hints at keeping him away, he vows to prevent an abortion on Deepu's part, and convinces Moni to pack up and leave for Mumbai soon. Quickly enough, they rent out an apartment just above Varun's and Deepu's flat, and reveal themselves, much to the couple's shock.
Varun and Deepu initially project a confused frustration against Honey and Moni the first six months of pregnancy for trying to interfere in their lives, but while the former couple seeks advice from Richa and Vivek, this entire friction reaches a point where they detest each other's contracts over the children to be born out of the impregnations. However, during a routine check-up at the hospital in the seventh month of pregnancy, Sandhya advises Deepu to try interacting with Moni, who is as much tensed as Deepu herself. Realizing that she needs to understand the situation all four of them are caught up in, Deepu asks Moni out for a street food outing, during which time Deepu develops sympathy for Moni when the former learns that the latter had suffered two miscarriages, and they soon begin to bond well. However, back home, Varun still nurses a negative attitude towards all that has happened, but this time, Deepu takes a stand in Honey's and Moni's favour, explaining to Varun that he never even cared for his own wife, let alone his baby's genetic mother.
Meanwhile, the tension between Honey and Varun also seems to have dissolved briefly at a bar where they begin bonding and dancing and later talking, until Honey expresses concern over Deepu's work commitments, which he thinks will have a negative impact on the child. Varun, incensed, asks Honey to buzz off, claiming that Deepu has a choice since it is her child. An argument between the two escalates upto a point where Varun leaves the bar in disgust and the manager, injured in the tussle, tips off the police about Honey, who refuses to budge from his position.
Later that night, Moni knocks on Deepu's door, and Varun drives the two women to the hospital and stays there, promising to wait until Honey arrives, not knowing that cops had turned up at the bar. Shortly after the delivery is successful, the baby is surprisingly shifted to a critical unit, when Sandhya reveals to Varun that the baby is in a dangerously grave condition, having been born with a serious respiratory defect, and that Moni's alarming history of premature deliveries and miscarriages may spell sorrow for her. Realizing that he is also responsible for the baby, Varun begins crying uncontrollably when Honey also arrives after being released. Moni learns from Honey about the defect, and Varun goes back home, later breaking down in Deepu's arms.
For nearly a few weeks, both couples pray for the baby's speedy recovery, and surprisingly, the baby emerges out a survivor from the respiratory defect after a long operation. Pretty soon, after a full 9 months of pregnancy, Deepu too has a successful delivery, and Varun, having come to his senses, invites Honey and Moni inside to see the baby when he sees them waiting at the door. Both couples finally bond freely with each other on an accepting note, even as they hold each other's babies in their arms.
- Akshay Kumar as Varun Batra
- Kareena Kapoor Khan as Deepti "Deepu" Batra
- Diljit Dosanjh as Honey Batra
- Kiara Advani as Monika "Moni" Batra
- Tisca Chopra as Dr. Sandhya Joshi
- Adil Hussain as Dr. Anand Joshi
- Anjana Sukhani as Richa Batra
- Faisal Rashid as Vivek
- Mohit Raina as a passenger in a cameo appearance
- Karan Johar in the song "Chandigarh Mein"
- Badshah in the song "Chandigarh Mein"
- Harrdy Sandhu in the song "Chandigarh Mein"
- Sukhbir in the song "Sauda Khara Khara"
Filming commenced in December 2018, with Dosanjh and Advani filming their scenes. Kumar and Kapoor joined filming in January and announced it by posting on Instagram. During a recent interview and in a twitter post, Kumar said about Kapoor, "We are extremely fond of each other. Bebo and Lolo tease me about the amount of money I’m making and I tease them about having a flat in every building in Bandra. That’s our fun banter.”' Anjana Sukhani of Golmaal fame joined the cast to essay an important role, which was revealed to be that of Kumar's sister. The filming was finished in the first week of April 2019.
Marketing and release
The film was slated to release on 6 September but was pushed forward to 29 November, later it was again pushed forward to release on 27 December 2019.The official posters were released on 14 November 2019.
The film was theatrically released in India on 27 December 2019.
|Soundtrack album by|
|Released||26 December 2019|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|Label||Zee Music Company|
The film's music is composed by Tanishk Bagchi, Rochak Kohli, Lauv, Lijo George–DJ Chetas, Badshah, Manj Musik–Herbie Sahara, Sukhbir and Kshmr. The songs are written by Kumaar, Rashmi Virag, Tanishk Bagchi, Sukhbir, Gurpreet Saini, Ari Leff, Michael Pollock, Herbie Sahara and Vayu. The background score has been composed by John Stewart Eduri.
The song "Sauda Khara Khara" is a remake of Sukhbir's original hit, recreated by Lijo George-DJ Chetas, while the song "Laal Ghagraa" is a remake of Sahara's and Musik's original hit, and has been recreated by Bagchi, who added an interlude from Daler Mehndi's hit song "Ho Jayegi Balle Balle" to the recreated version.
|1.||"Chandigarh Mein"||Tanishk Bagchi, Badshah||Tanishk Bagchi||Badshah, Harrdy Sandhu, Lisa Mishra, Asees Kaur||3:25|
|2.||"Sauda Khara Khara"||Kumaar||Lijo George - DJ Chetas, Sukhbir||Diljit Dosanjh, Sukhbir, Dhvani Bhanushali||3:31|
|3.||"Maana Dil"||Rashmi Virag||Tanishk Bagchi||B Praak||3:55|
|4.||"Laal Ghaghra"||Tanishk Bagchi, Herbie Sahara||Tanishk Bagchi, Manj Musik–Herbie Sahara||Manj Musik, Herbie Sahara, Neha Kakkar||4:28|
|5.||"Dil Na Jaaneya"||Gurpreet Saini, Ari Leff, Michael Pollock||Rochak Kohli, Lauv||Rochak Kohli, Lauv, Akasa||3:51|
|7.||"Dil Na Jaaneya" (Unplugged)||Gurpreet Saini||Rochak Kohli||Arijit Singh||3:03|
|8.||"Good Newwz Theme"||-||Kshmr, Tanishk Bagchi||-||2:45|
Taran Adarsh gave the film 4 out of 5 stars and said, 'Excellent. This one’s a sure-fire hit. Smart writing. Fantastic humour. Heartfelt emotions... Superb performances Akshay, Kareena, Diljit, Kiara. 2019 will conclude with a big winner, with Good Newwz.' Komal Nahta of Film Information opined that, 'The film will keep everyone (public, producers, distributors and exhibitors) happy.'
Good Newwz earned ₹17.56 crore at the domestic box office on its opening day. On the second day, the film collected ₹21.78 crore, On the third day, the film collected ₹25.65 crore, taking total opening weekend collection to ₹65.99 crore.
As of 24 January 2020[update], with a gross of ₹241.89 crore in India and ₹74.29 crore overseas, the film has a worldwide gross collection of ₹316.18 crore and has become the fifth highest grossing Bollywood film of 2019.
- "Akshay Kumar, Kareena Kapoor Khan's Good News to release on December 27". Hindustan Times. 27 April 2019. Retrieved 27 December 2019.
- "Good Newwz (2019)". British Board of Film Classification. Archived from the original on 20 December 2019. Retrieved 20 December 2019.
- "Good News for 'Good Newwz' at the BO with Rs 39.34 Cr in Two Days". The Quint. 28 December 2019. Retrieved 21 January 2020.
- "Good Newwz Box Office". Bollywood Hungama. Archived from the original on 24 December 2019. Retrieved 23 January 2020.
- "Akshay Kumar is the Only Male Superstar Who Never Asks Who the Director is, Says Karan Johar". News18. 18 November 2018. Archived from the original on 27 December 2019. Retrieved 27 December 2019.
- "'Good News'! That's the title of Kareena Kapoor Khan's next with Akshay Kumar". DNA India. 31 July 2018. Archived from the original on 1 February 2019. Retrieved 14 February 2019.
- Diljit Dosanjh [@diljitdosanjh] (30 November 2018). "#GOODNEWS @DharmaMovies @karanjohar Sir @akshaykumar Sir #KareennaKapoorKhan Ji @Advani_Kiara #RajMehta Sir @ShashankKhaitan Sir 😊🙏🏽 It's a Dream Come True When you get to Work with Your Favourite Productions House and an Awesome TEAM 😊 SHUKAR 🙏🏽 LOVE MY FANS 😊🙏🏽 t.co/eGDcPBnUi4" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "Karan Johar's Good News goes on floors today, Akshay Kumar and Kareena Kapoor Khan to join later". Times Now. 30 November 2018. Archived from the original on 30 November 2018. Retrieved 14 February 2019.
- "Akshay Kumar shares new pic with pouty co-star Kareena Kapoor from sets of Good News". Hindustan Timesimes. 11 February 2019. Archived from the original on 14 February 2019. Retrieved 14 February 2019.
- "Good News: Akshay Kumar on Kareena Kapoor Khan open up about their friendly banter". www.filmsbit.com. Archived from the original on 8 April 2019. Retrieved 8 April 2019.
- "SCOOP! Akshay Kumar – Kareena Kapoor Khan's Good News gets a new cast member (read details inside)". Bollywood Hungama. 10 April 2019. Archived from the original on 10 April 2019. Retrieved 10 April 2019.
- "Good News cast announce film's wrap; Akshay Kumar, Kareena Kapoor starrer to release on 6 September". First Post. 7 April 2019. Archived from the original on 16 April 2019. Retrieved 16 April 2019.
- "'Good Newwz' first look posters: Akshay Kumar gives us a glimpse of the biggest goof-up of the year". The Times of India. 14 November 2019. Archived from the original on 15 November 2019. Retrieved 15 November 2019.
- "Good Newwz posters: Akshay Kumar, Diljit Dosanjh are squeezed between Kareena Kapoor, Kiara's baby bumps". Hindustan Times. 14 November 2019. Archived from the original on 15 November 2019. Retrieved 15 November 2019.
- "Good Newwz Is ROFL Posters Of Akshay Kumar, Kareena Kapoor, Kiara Advani, Diljit Dosanjh". NDTV. 14 November 2019. Archived from the original on 15 November 2019. Retrieved 15 November 2019.
- Dharma Productions (18 November 2019). "Good Newwz - Official Trailer - Akshay, Kareena, Diljit, Kiara - Raj Mehta - In cinemas 27th Dec". Archived from the original on 18 November 2019. Retrieved 18 November 2019 – via YouTube.
- "Good Newwz trailer: Akshay Kumar, Kareena Kapoor star in this comedy of errors, directed by Raj Mehta". Firstpost.com. 18 November 2019. Archived from the original on 19 November 2019. Retrieved 18 November 2019.
- "It's Akshay Kumar-Kareena Kapoor vs Kiara Advani-Diljit Dosanjh in Good Newwz Trailer". News18. 18 November 2019. Archived from the original on 19 November 2019. Retrieved 18 November 2019.
- Dharma Productions (19 December 2019). "Good Newwz - Trailer 2 - Batra v/s Batra - Akshay, Kareena, Diljit & Kiara - Raj Mehta - 27th Dec". Archived from the original on 19 December 2019. Retrieved 19 December 2019 – via YouTube.
- "Good Newwz - Original Motion Picture Soundtrack". Jio Saavn. Archived from the original on 11 December 2019. Retrieved 26 December 2019.
- adarsh, taran (25 December 2019). "#OneWordReview...#GoodNewwz: EXCELLENT. Rating: This one's a SURE-FIRE HIT... Smart writing. Fantastic humour. Heartfelt emotions... Superb performances [#Akshay, #Kareena, #Diljit, #Kiara]...2019 will conclude with a big winner, with #GoodNewwz. #GoodNewwzReview pic.twitter.com/9YUx24tiTB". @taran_adarsh. Archived from the original on 25 December 2019. Retrieved 28 December 2019.
- Information, Film. "'GOOD NEWWZ' | 27 December 2019 – Film Information". Retrieved 18 January 2020.
- "Bollywood Top Grossers Worldwide". Bollywood Hungama. Archived from the original on 18 November 2019. Retrieved 25 January 2020.