Good Time Charlie's Got the Blues
|"Good Time Charlie's Got the Blues"|
|Single by Danny O'Keefe|
|from the album O'Keefe|
|B-side||"The Valentine Pieces"|
|Danny O'Keefe singles chronology|
"Good Time Charlie's Got the Blues" is a song written and performed by Danny O'Keefe.
It was first recorded by O'Keefe in 1967, but not released. It was recorded by The Bards and released in 1968 as the b-side to the song "Tunesmith" on Parrot Records. The Bards were a band from Moses Lake, Washington. The song was recorded by O'Keefe for his self-titled debut album in 1971. The following year he re-recorded it (with a slower, more downbeat arrangement) for his second album, O'Keefe. The second version was issued as a single, reaching number 9 on the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart, number 5 on the adult contemporary chart, and number 63 on the country chart. The song was also covered by Mel Tormé, especially for a 1986 episode of NBC's Night Court entitled "Leon, We Hardly Knew Ye".
|Canada RPM Top Singles||19|
|US Billboard Hot 100||9|
|US Billboard Adult Contemporary||5|
|US Cash Box Top 100||10|
Selected list of recorded versions
This section needs additional citations for verification. (August 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- The Bards (1968) on Parrot Records
- Danny O'Keefe (1971), on the album Danny O'Keefe
- Dwight Yoakam
- Willie Nelson
- Waylon Jennings
- Mike Farris
- Elvis Presley, recorded at Stax and featured on his 1974 album Good Times
- Leon Russell
- Chris Hillman
- Earl Klugh on his 1978 album Magic in Your Eyes
- Rita Wilson
- Charlie Rich (1980), on the album Once a Drifter
- Jerry Lee Lewis and Leon Russell
- Holly Cole, from the album Night (2012)
- Harry Manx (2008), from the album Live at the Glenn Gould Studio
- Mel Tormé, (1986), for a Night Court episode entitled "Leon, We Hardly Knew Ye".
- Conway Twitty (1977), on the album Play, Guitar Play
- Nat Stuckey (1973), on the album Take Time To Love Her
- Shooter Jennings (2016), on the album Black Country Rock 2015 Mixtape.
- David Neale. "Elvis Presley: Original Version Recordings of Songs He Sang". Davidneale.eu. Retrieved 8 August 2018.
- "Danny O'Keefe - Danny O'Keefe - Songs, Reviews, Credits - AllMusic". AllMusic. Retrieved 8 August 2018.
- "O'Keefe - Danny O'Keefe - Songs, Reviews, Credits - AllMusic". AllMusic. Retrieved 8 August 2018.
- "Good Time Charlie's Got the Blues (song by Danny O'Keefe) ••• Music VF, US & UK hits charts". Musicvf.com. Retrieved 8 August 2018.
- Whitburn, Joel (2013). Hot Country Songs 1944–2012. Record Research, Inc. p. 293. ISBN 978-0-89820-203-8.
- "Item Display - RPM - Library and Archives Canada". Collectionscanada.gc.ca.
- Joel Whitburn's Top Pop Singles 1955–1990 - ISBN 0-89820-089-X
- "Rockin' My Life Away [Warner] - Jerry Lee Lewis - Songs, Reviews, Credits - AllMusic". AllMusic. Retrieved 8 August 2018.