Good Timin' (The Beach Boys song)
|Single by The Beach Boys|
|from the album L.A. (Light Album)|
|B-side||"Love Surrounds Me"|
|Released||April 17, 1979|
|Recorded||April 29 / November 2, 1974; December 13, 1978, Brother Studios and Caribou Ranch, California|
The Beach Boys
James William Guercio
|The Beach Boys singles chronology|
|L.A. (Light Album) track listing|
"Good Timin’" is a song written by brothers Brian and Carl Wilson for the American rock band the Beach Boys. It was the second single released from the album L.A. (Light Album) (1979); the B-side was "Love Surrounds Me".
The track was initiated during the group's sporadic sessions at Brother Studios and Caribou Ranch during 1974, with Brian contributing on the piano and harpsichord. The basic track was completed and Carl Wilson recorded the lead vocals. Initially intended for release on their next album, 15 Big Ones, it ultimately remained unreleased until 1979.
Due to the negative reception following the release of the Beach Boys' unconventional disco remake of "Here Comes the Night", "Good Timin'" was hastily assembled with necessary vocal overdubs by Carl Wilson and Bruce Johnston and released as a single. It was the lead track on their subsequent LA (Light Album), which was released later that year.
"Good Timin'" was performed live on tours throughout the early 1980s following its release. Brian sang the lead vocals during the Beach Boys 50th Anniversary Tour with Al Jardine also on vocals filling in for Carl Wilson.
"Good Timin'" reached number 40 in the U.S. during a stay of ten weeks on the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart; and peaked at number 33 on the Cash Box sales chart. It was their first single to reach the Top 40 portion of the chart in nearly three years, since "It's OK" in October 1976. It also reached number 12 on the Billboard Adult Contemporary chart.
- The Beach Boys
- Carl Wilson – lead and backing vocals, electric guitar
- Brian Wilson – piano, harpsichord, keyboards
- Dennis Wilson – drums
- Bruce Johnston – backing vocals
- Mike Love – backing vocals
- Al Jardine – backing vocals
- Additional personnel
- Bobby Figueroa – backing vocals
- Jim Guercio – bass
Love Surrounds Me
- Dennis Wilson - single-tracked and double-tracked lead vocals, harmony and backing vocals, arrangements, electric piano, grand piano, Oberheim and mini-Moog synthesizers, additional drums, possible tympani
- Christine McVie - backing vocals
- Ed Carter - electric lead/rhythm guitars
- Neil LeVang - dobro during closing vamp
- Joe Chemay - bass
- Carli Muñoz - electric piano, grand piano
- Phil Shenale - Oberheim synthesizer during closing vamp
- Bobby Figueroa - drums, possible tympani
- Steve Forman - percussion (tambourine, mark-tree, bell-tree, modern cabasa during closing vamp)
- Doe, Andrew G. "GIGS74".
- Stebbins, Jon (2011). The Beach Boys FAQ: All That's Left to Know About America's Band. ISBN 9781458429148.
- Whitburn, Joel (2002). Top Adult Contemporary: 1961-2001. Record Research. p. 29.
|This 1970s pop song-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|