Vol 1 title page, 1860.
Good Words was a 19th-century monthly periodical in the United Kingdom. It was established in 1860 by Scottish publisher Alexander Strahan. Its first editor was Norman Macleod. After his death in 1872, it was edited by his brother, Donald Macleod, though there is some evidence that at this time the publishing was taken over by W. Isbister & Co.
Good Words was directed at evangelicals and nonconformists, particularly of the lower middle class. The magazine included overtly religious material, also fiction and nonfiction articles on general subjects, including science. The standard for content was that the devout must be able to read it on Sundays without sin.
In 1863, Norman Macleod wrote that the magazine had a circulation of 70,000. In the following year, it advertised itself as having a monthly circulation of 160,000, although that number is probably exaggerated.
In 1906, Good Words was amalgamated with the weekly Sunday Magazine, and published in that format until 1910.
- R. H. Super (1990). The Chronicler of Barsetshire: A Life of Anthony Trollope (University of Michigan Press) pp. 150–155.
- Eyre-Todd, George. "Donald Macleod" in Who's Who in Glasgow in 1909. Retrieved 1 June 2011.
- Collections Princeton University.
- Judith Wittosch Malcolm. "Good Words" in The Oxford Reader's Companion to Trollope (R. C. Terry ed, Oxford University Press, 1999) pp. 219–221.
- James Pope-Hennessy (1978). Anthony Trollope (Phoenix Press paperback ed., 2001) pp. 261–263.
- Good Words
- Sutherland, John. Untitled review of Patricia Thomas Srebrnik's Alexander Strahan: Victorian Publisher. Nineteenth-Century Literature, vol. 42, no. 1 (June 1987), pp. 120-26. Available for download via JSTOR. Retrieved 1 June 2011.
- Gray, Donald. Untitled review of Patricia Thomas Srebrnik's Alexander Strahan: Victorian Publisher. Victorian Studies, vol. 31, no. 1 (Autumn 1987), pp. 141-44. Available for download via JSTOR. Retrieved 1 June 2011
- The New Cambridge Bibliography of English Literature, ed. by George Watson. Cambridge University Press, 1969. Vol. 3, column 1849.
Media related to Good Words at Wikimedia Commons