Good luck charm
Almost any object can be used as a charm. Coins and buttons are examples, as are small objects given as gifts, due to the favorable associations they make. Many souvenir shops have a range of tiny items that may be used as good luck charms. Good luck charms are often worn on the body, but not necessarily.
The “lucky rabbit charm” was passed on and incorporated into American culture by African slaves who were brought to the Americas. The lucky bag or the “Mojo” is another borrowed idea from African culture. It is used in voodoo ceremonies to carry several lucky objects or spells and intended to cause a specific effect. The concept is that particular objects placed in the bag and charged will create a supernatural effect for the bearer. Even today, mojo bags are still used. Europe also contributed to the concept of lucky charms. Adherents of St. Patrick (the patron saint of Ireland), adopted the Four leaf clover as a symbol of Irish luck because clovers are abundant in the hills of Ireland.
Kids can also be good luck charms in some cultures.
A four-leaf clover was consistently believed to be a lucky charm. This very old Irish verse describes why:
One leaf is for fame,
And one leaf is for wealth,
And one is for a faithful lover,
And one to bring you glorious health,
Are all in the four-leaved clover.
Apart from this, in many parts of the world, various objects are considered as the lucky charm, as in, God's idol to be kept on all special occasions in many parts of the continents like Asia.
- "The Difference Between A Talisman Amulet and A Charm". Archived from the original on 2012-12-06. Retrieved 2012-08-14.
- "History and Legends of Lucky Charms and Talismans".
- Tartakowsky, Ewa. "Le Juif à la pièce d’argent." La vie des idées (2017).
- The Jew with a Coin: Analysis of a contemporary folkloric emblem (AAPJ), Joanna Tokarska-Bakir, 2019.
- Driving to Treblinka: A Long Search for a Lost Father, Diana Wichtel, 2018, Awa Press, page 144. link to extract from book in Nzherald, published 16 May 2018
- "Why is Four Leaf Clover Lucky?". Tina Caro. 2020-06-21. Retrieved 2020-06-28.