Goodbye Pork Pie Hat
|"Goodbye Pork Pie Hat"|
|Composition by Charles Mingus|
|from the album Mingus Ah Um|
"Goodbye Pork Pie Hat" is a jazz standard composed by Charles Mingus, originally recorded by his sextet in 1959 as listed below, and released on his album Mingus Ah Um. Composed in E-flat minor, Mingus wrote it as an elegy for saxophonist Lester Young, who had died two months prior to the recording session, and was known to wear a pork pie hat.
One of Mingus's best-known compositions, it has been recorded by many jazz and jazz fusion artists. Joni Mitchell added lyrics to the song for her 1979 album Mingus, recorded in collaboration with Mingus during the months before his death. Rahsaan Roland Kirk also composed lyrics to the song, included on his 1976 album The Return of the 5000 Lb. Man.
- John Handy – tenor saxophone
- Booker Ervin – tenor saxophone
- Horace Parlan – piano
- Charles Mingus – bass
- Dannie Richmond – drums
By Charles Mingus
- Mingus Ah Um (1959)
- Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus (1963) (as "Theme for Lester Young")
- Three or Four Shades of Blues (1977)
- John McLaughlin – My Goal's Beyond (1970)
- Ralph Towner and Gary Burton – Matchbook (1974)
- Rahsaan Roland Kirk – The Return of the 5000 Lb. Man (1976)
- Jeff Beck – Wired (1976)
- Joni Mitchell – Mingus (1979) and Shadows and Light (1980)
- Steve Lacy and Gil Evans – Paris Blues (1987)
- Stanley Clarke - If This Bass Could Only Talk (1988)
- Oliver Lake – Kinda Up (1999)
- Derek Sherinian - Inertia (2001)
- Paul Motian – Garden of Eden (2004)
- Goodbye Pork Pie Hat at jazzstandards.com. Retrieved on March 5, 2009
- Mingus Ah Um at AllMusic. Retrieved March 11, 2009
- "Goodbye Pork Pie Hat - Charles Mingus - Song Info - AllMusic". AllMusic. Retrieved May 14, 2018.
- Mingus on AllMusic. Retrieved on March 5, 2009
- Gioia, Ted (2012). The Jazz Standards. Oxford: Oxford University Press. p. 137. ISBN 978-0-19-993739-4.
- Snowden, Don (July 29, 1988). "Stanley Clarke Lets His Bass Do the Talking in Solo Album". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved December 8, 2018.