Goodbye for Now (song)
This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (October 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|"Goodbye for Now"|
|Single by P.O.D.|
|from the album Testify|
|Released||November 8, 2005|
|Recorded||December 2004 – July 2005|
|P.O.D. singles chronology|
|Katy Perry songs chronology|
"Goodbye for Now" is a song by P.O.D. and the lead single from their sixth studio album, Testify, released in 2006. It features a 21-year old Katy Perry vamping over the final chorus of the song. She also appeared in the music video. Her contribution, however, was not enough to earn her a guest appearance at that time. The track was later included on Greatest Hits: The Atlantic Years in 2006.
"Goodbye for Now" received considerable radio play and was used in promotional videos for the film The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. It is the band's most successful single since 2002's "Youth of the Nation" and reached No. 48 on the Billboard Hot 100 on January 31, 2006 (making it their third Hot 100 entry and Top 50 hit), No. 41 on the Billboard Pop 100, No. 25 on the U.S. Modern Rock Tracks, and No. 17 on the U.S. Mainstream Rock Tracks.
Musically, "Goodbye for Now" reintroduced rap vocals to P.O.D.'s singles catalog; the style had not been prominently heard on any single since 2002's "Satellite." The song also emphasizes clean melody and vocal harmony while lacking any heavy guitar work. Katy Perry's drawn out backup vocals enter during the final chorus shortly before the song comes to an end. P.O.D. frontman Sonny Sandoval described the feel and meaning behind "Goodbye for Now" in an MTV interview:
- "It's more of a laid-back track, it's more of a vibe track, it's definitely not the heavy side of P.O.D., but lyrically it's a hopeful song. . . We know with just dealing with the people around us and just coming across so many people that there are a lot of people struggling out there. And being that positive influence that we like to have in our music, we are just trying to encourage people. No matter how bad today is, tomorrow has a bright promise and a bright future. There's a lyric that says, 'If joy really comes in the morning time/ Then I'm going to sit back and wait until the next sunrise.' And in our faith, we believe that joy does come in the morning time, so just hold on and hang out and tomorrow is a whole different day."
- "Goodbye for Now"
- "Why Wait?"
- "Lights Out" (Chris Vrenna Mix)
- Album Version
- Radio Edit (Video Version/Promo) 3:56
|US Billboard Hot 100||48|
|US Billboard Alternative Songs||25|
|US Billboard Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks||17|
- "P.O.D. Hired Katy Perry as Singer Before She Was Famous". Loudwire. Retrieved October 17, 2015.
- "Katy Perry". Billboard. Retrieved October 17, 2015.
- Moss, Corey P.O.D. Find New Hope With Interfaith Matisyahu Marriage MTV.com (January 25, 2006). Retrieved on 4-15-09.