Goodbye to Gravity
|Goodbye to Gravity|
|Labels||Universal Music Romania|
|Associated acts||Graven, Hovercraft, Rising Shadow, Thunderstorm|
Goodbye to Gravity was a Romanian metalcore band from Bucharest, active from 2011 until 2015, when four of the band's five members died during their concert at a night club in Bucharest, due to a burning firework that started a large fire.
This section does not cite any sources. (November 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The band first got together in 2010, although they did not play publicly until 2011. Frontman Andrei Găluț, who had previously won the Romanian talent show Megastar on Prima TV, enlisted the help of a full band, including former members of the Romanian band Thunderstorm, to get the band going.
In 2012 the band released their self-titled debut album to a warm reception and steadily built their reputation in Romania. As a result of the success of Goodbye to Gravity, the band were signed to Universal Music's Romanian branch, and played at festivals in countries such as Germany, Portugal and Italy. In 2015 the band set to work on their sophomore effort, with more sci-fi themes to their music. The album was announced as Mantras of War with a release date of October 30. To celebrate the release, the group announced a free show at the Colectiv nightclub in Bucharest.
Colectiv nightclub fire
At their Mantras of War release party on 30 October 2015 at Colectiv nightclub in Bucharest, the band's firework display set a deadly fire, greatly accelerated by polyurethane foam used in the club to dampen sound waves. 64 people died, while many more were hospitalised. Vocalist Andrei Găluț, bassist Alex Pascu, and drummer Bogdan Enache (also known as Bogdan Lavinius) were hospitalised with injuries, and guitarists Vlad Țelea and Mihai Alexandru were killed in the blaze. 
Enache died on 8 November, while being transported to a hospital in Zurich, Switzerland. Pascu, who was moved to a hospital in Paris, France, and Găluț's girlfriend Mădălina Strungaru both died on 11 November. Universal Music Romania, whom the band were signed to, agreed to donate all proceeds from sales of Mantras of War to help the victims of the fire.
- Goodbye to Gravity (2012)
- Mantras of War (2015)
- Mihai Alexandru – guitars
- Bogdan Enache – drums
- Andrei Găluț – vocals
- Alex Pascu – bass
- Vlad Țelea – guitars
- "GOODBYE TO GRAVITY Sign With Universal Music Romania For Mantras Of War Album Release". Brave Words & Bloody Knuckles. 20 August 2015. Retrieved 6 November 2015.
- "Romania man dies from injuries in nightclub fire; toll is 64". Business Insider. Associated Press. 14 March 2016.
- Cojocariu, Mihaela (14 March 2016). "Tragedia din Colectiv. Bilanţul tragic a ajuns la 64 de morţi după ce încă un rănit a murit luni la Spitalul Floreasca". Adevarul (in Romanian).
- Black, Lemi (30 October 2015). "At Least 27 Dead, 180 Injured In Fire At Bucharest Heavy Metal Concert". Blabbermouth. Retrieved 30 October 2015.
- "Bucharest Explosion: 27 Killed, 180 Hospitalized at Goodbye to Gravity Concert Mishap". Breitbart News. 30 October 2015.
- "Cea mai mare tragedie din Bucuresti: Incendiu in clubul Colectiv – 27 de morti, cel putin 162 de raniti". HotNews (in Romanian). 30 October 2015.
- "Horror Halloween: 27 Killed, 180 Hospitalized at Goodbye to Gravity Concert in Bucharest". Newsmania. 31 October 2015.
- Presa, Ionut (31 October 2015). "Incendiu în Club Colectiv: Cine sunt Goodbye to Gravity, trupa care a concertat în momentul producerii tragediei". Adevarul (in Romanian).
- "Chitaristul trupei "Goodbye to gravity" A MURIT!". Libertatea. 31 October 2015.
- "Mihai Alexandru, chitarist al formaţiei Goodbye to Gravity, a murit". Mediafax.ro (in Romanian). 31 October 2015.
- Diac, Mihai (31 October 2015). "Incendiul din Colectiv. Doi membri ai trupei Goodbye To Gravity au spus ADIO. Ceilalți trei membri sunt internați în spital". RomaniaLibera (in Romanian).
- "Bucharest nightclub fire: death toll reaches 45 as drummer of band dies". the Guardian. 8 November 2015.
- "Goodbye to Gravity Drummer Dies in Bucharest Concert Fire Tragedy". Ultimate Classic Rock.
- "UPDATE - Tragedia din COLECTIV. Alex Pascu, basistul trupei Goodbye to Gravity, A MURIT pe aeroport, în Franța". libertatea.ro. 11 November 2015.
- Universal Music Romania donates proceedings from sale of albums by Goodbye to Gravity and Up To Eleven, Agerpress.ro, 5 November 2015; retrieved 9 November 2015.(in Romanian)
- xFiruath. "Goodbye To Gravity Reveals "Mantras Of War" Album Details". Metal Underground. Retrieved 6 November 2015.