Goodland Township, Michigan
|Goodland Township, Michigan|
|• Total||35.7 sq mi (92.4 km2)|
|• Land||35.6 sq mi (92.3 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||801 ft (244 m)|
|• Density||48.6/sq mi (18.8/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|ZIP codes||48444 (Imlay City),
48416 (Brown City)
|GNIS feature ID||1626363|
- Goodland is an unincorporated community in the township on M-53 at . James Hills was the first white settler here in 1851, although he soon moved elsewhere. Hills is said to have recommended the name "Goodland" when the township was organized in 1855. A post office was opened on July 11, 1856 with John C. Marris as the first postmaster. The office closed on April 15, 1901.
- The city of Imlay City is to the south, and the Imlay City post office, with ZIP code 48444, also serves most of Goodland Township.
- The city of Brown City is to the northeast in Sanilac County, and the Brown city post office, with ZIP code 48416, also serves a portion of northeast Goodland Township.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 35.7 square miles (92 km2), of which 35.7 square miles (92 km2) is land and 0.04 square miles (0.10 km2) (0.06%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,734 people, 589 households, and 478 families residing in the township. The population density was 48.6 per square mile (18.8/km²). There were 621 housing units at an average density of 17.4 per square mile (6.7/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 98.21% White, 0.35% African American, 0.17% Asian, 0.69% from other races, and 0.58% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 3.58% of the population.
There were 589 households out of which 39.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 69.1% were married couples living together, 6.8% had a female householder with no husband present, and 18.8% were non-families. 14.3% of all households were made up of individuals and 5.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.94 and the average family size was 3.25.
In the township the population was spread out with 29.4% under the age of 18, 6.8% from 18 to 24, 31.2% from 25 to 44, 23.5% from 45 to 64, and 9.1% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 35 years. For every 100 females there were 108.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 105.9 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $51,313, and the median income for a family was $55,875. Males had a median income of $42,313 versus $25,820 for females. The per capita income for the township was $19,999. About 4.1% of families and 7.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 11.9% of those under age 18 and 3.7% of those age 65 or over.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Goodland Township, Michigan
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Goodland, Michigan
- Romig, Walter (1986) . Michigan Place Names. Detroit, Michigan: Wayne State University Press. ISBN 0-8143-1838-X.
- 48444 5-Digit ZCTA, 484 3-Digit ZCTA - Reference Map - American FactFinder, U.S. Census Bureau, 2000 census
- 48416 5-Digit ZCTA, 484 3-Digit ZCTA - Reference Map - American FactFinder[permanent dead link], U.S. Census Bureau, 2000 census