Type of site
|Software as a service data warehouse|
|Launched||May 19, 2010|
BigQuery is a fully-managed, serverless data warehouse that enables scalable analysis over petabytes of data. It is a serverless Software as a Service (SaaS) that supports querying using ANSI SQL. It also has built-in machine learning capabilities.
After a limited testing period in 2010, BigQuery was generally available in November 2011 at the Google Atmosphere conference.
BigQuery provides external access to the Dremel technology, a scalable, interactive ad hoc query system for analysis of read-only nested data. BigQuery requires all requests to be authenticated, supporting a number of Google-proprietary mechanisms as well as OAuth.
- Managing data - create and delete tables based on a JSON-encoded schema, import data encoded as CSV or JSON from Google Storage.
- Query - the queries are expressed in a standard SQL dialect and the results are returned in JSON with a maximum reply length of approximately 128 MB, or an unlimited size when large query results are enabled.
- Integration - BigQuery can be used from Google Apps Script (e.g. as a bound script in Google Docs), or any language that can work with its REST API or client libraries.
- Access control - is possible to share datasets with arbitrary individuals, groups, or the world.
- Machine learning
- Iain Thomson (November 14, 2011). "Google opens BigQuery for cloud analytics: Dangles free trial to lure doubters". Retrieved August 26, 2016.
- Simon Sharwood (April 7, 2016). "Google Euro-cloud glitch". Retrieved August 26, 2016.
- Jordan Novet (May 6, 2016). "Google BigQuery now lets you analyze data from Google Sheets". Retrieved August 26, 2016.
- Sergey Melnik; Andrey Gubarev; Jing Jing Long; Geoffrey Romer; Shiva Shivakumar; Matt Tolton; Theo Vassilakis (2010). "Dremel: Interactive Analysis of Web-Scale Datasets". Proc. of the 36th International Conference on Very Large Data Bases (VLDB).
- Kazunori Sato (2012). "An Inside Look at Google BigQuery" (PDF). Google. Retrieved August 26, 2016.
- "SQL Reference". Retrieved 26 June 2017.
- "Quota Policy". Retrieved 26 June 2017.
- "BigQuery Service | Apps Script | Google Developers". March 15, 2018. Retrieved April 23, 2018.
- "BigQuery Client Libraries". Retrieved 26 June 2017.