Google Cloud Datastore
|Initial release||May 2013|
|Platform||Google Cloud Platform|
Google Cloud Datastore (Cloud Datastore) is a highly scalable, fully managed NoSQL database service offered by Google on the Google Cloud Platform. Cloud storage is something that "allows you to save data and files in an off-site location that you access either through the public internet or a dedicated private network connection." This is very cost-effective for businesses since physical files can replaced with cloud storage records. Cloud Datastore is built upon Google's Bigtable and Megastore technology. Google Cloud Datastore allows the user to create databases either in Native or Datastore Mode. Native Mode is designed for mobile and web apps, while Datastore Mode is designed for new server projects.
Originally released as a feature in Google App Engine in 2008, Cloud Datastore was announced as a standalone product in 2013 during Google I/O. In 2018 at the Google Cloud Next conference, the second-generation Firestore database was opened to general availability, with a backward-compatibility mode. Google provides a path for automatically upgrading a legacy Datastore database to Firestore in Datastore mode.
Google Cloud Datastore database has a SQL-like syntax called "GQL" (Google Query Language). GQL does not support the Join statement. Instead, one-to-many and many-to-many relationships can be accomplished using ReferenceProperty(). This shared-nothing approach allows disks to fail without the system failing. Switching from a relational database to Cloud Datastore requires a paradigm shift for developers when modeling their data.
- Google Cloud Datastore
- "What is Cloud Storage?". www.ibm.com. June 24, 2019.
- Julia, McLeod; Gormly, Brianna (2018). "Records storage in the cloud: are we modeling the cost?" (PDF). Archives & Manuscripts. 46 (2): 174–192. doi:10.1080/01576895.2017.1409125.
- Balancing Strong and Eventual Consistency with Google Cloud Datastore
- "Google Cloud Datastore". Quickstart. Retrieved April 7, 2020.
- Google App Engine alluring, will be hard to escape
- Google’s growing cloud just got a NoSQL database
- Google Updates Key Cloud Database Services
- Automatic Upgrade to Firestore
- Google Developers (7 April 2008). "Campfire One: Introducing Google App Engine (pt. 3)" – via YouTube.
- "Modeling Entity Relationships - Google App Engine — Google Developers". 2012-06-26. Retrieved 2012-07-17.
- Saturday (2008-11-22). "Google Architecture". High Scalability. Retrieved 2012-07-17.