Google Cultural Institute
|Products||Google Arts & Culture|
The Cultural Institute was launched in 2011, and put 42 new exhibits online on October 10, 2012. It is "an effort to make important cultural material available and accessible to everyone and to digitally preserve it to educate and inspire future generations." As of June 2013, it included over 6 million items - photos, videos, and documents.
The Cultural Institute has partnered with a number of institutions to make exhibition and archival content available online, including the British Museum, Yad Vashem, the Museo Galileo in Florence, Center for Jewish History in New York City, Auschwitz-Birkenau State Museum, and the Museum of Polish History in Warsaw. The earliest notable project was a searchable archive and online digital exhibition series, in partnership with the Nelson Mandela Centre of Memory, which allowed people to access Nelson Mandela's personal diaries and previously unreleased drafts of his manuscripts for the sequel to his autobiography Long Walk to Freedom.
The Cultural Institute includes (and increasingly subsumes) the Google Arts & Culture, which features high-resolution images of artworks from museums in over 40 countries; the World Wonders Project, which presents three-dimensional recreations of world heritage sites; and archival exhibitions, many in partnership with museums around the world.
- Yoshitake, Mark. "Bringing history to life". Google Official Blog. Google. Retrieved 19 October 2014.
- Pfanner, Eric. "Quietly, Google Puts History Online". The New York Times. November 21, 2011.
- Newton, Casey. "Google Cultural Institute brings dozens of new exhibits online". CNET. October 10, 2012.
- Stephens, Simon. "Google Unveils Museum Exhibitions Project". Museums Journal. 10 October 2012.
- "Google Brings History to Life with Online Exhibitions". Mashable.com. October 10, 2012.
- Google Cultural Institute. "Frequently Asked Questions".
- "From Sutton Hoo to the soccer pitch: culture with a click". Google Official Blog. June 25, 2013.
- "British Museum". Google Cultural Institute.
- "The British Museum". British Museum.
- "The Sutton Hoo Ship Burial". British Museum.
- "Helping Google Bring History to Life". Achievements and Challenges: Annual Report 2012. p. 30.
- "Yad Vashem: Remembering the Holocaust".
- "The Museo Galileo on the Google Cultural Institute Archived 2013-07-17 at Archive.is".
- "Center for Jewish History". Google Cultural Institute.
- "Poland Joins Google Cultural Institute". Culture.pl. October 11, 2012.
- "Wystawa Muzeum Historii Polski w Google Cultural Institute". (in Polish)
- "Polska historia w Google Cultural Institute". Polskie Radio. October 10, 2012 (in Polish).
- Yoshitake, Mark. "Explore Mandela's archives online". Google Official Blog. Google. Retrieved 19 October 2014.
- "Our Projects". Google Cultural Institute.