Google News Lab
This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (November 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Google News Lab is a team at Google that aims to "drive innovation in newsrooms". It was launched in 2015 and folded into the Google News Initiative when it launched in 2018. It purports to focus on four main challenges:
- How to improve the situation around trust and misinformation.
- How to build local news organisations around the world.
- How to advance inclusive journalism in newsrooms everywhere.
- How to ensure emerging technology helps newsrooms advance their missions.
To address the first challenge, News Lab helps news organisations learn how to Google tools "to discover and debunk false news and misinformation".
Steve Grove, director of Google News Lab, stated: Google "is building programmes that bring journalists together to do that, collaboratively … [building] a sort of collaborative workflow around identifying the rising fake news memes around that election to be debunked — and to be corrected.” Doing this has been a way to get ahead of the fake news challenge during critical moments in politics, he said. “We’ve found this kind of collaborative model of journalism, with technologies and news organisations to be really powerful.”
In 2015, Google announced it was teaming with First Draft journalism experts to train others on video verification, research and ethics. Google's 'research tips' currently include, e.g., using intitle:confidential in Google advanced search to search for stories, Tin eye to check for how images might have been manipulated, InVid to assess reliability of video files, using Amnesty International’s YouTube DataViewer to check YouTube video meta data. constraining Twitter search geographically to view tweets near breaking news.
- Digital News Initiative, Google's fund for European newsrooms
- Wang, Shan (March 20, 2018). "Google announces a $300M 'Google News Initiative' (though this isn't about giving out grants directly to newsrooms, like it does in Europe)". Harvard University. Nieman Lab. Retrieved 25 November 2018.
- Ingram, Mathew (March 21, 2018). "The media today: Google offers news business a $300 million olive branch". Columbia Journalism Review. Retrieved 25 November 2018.
- Seale, Shelley (August 2, 2018). "4 ways Google News Lab is driving innovation in newsrooms". inma.org. International News Media Association. Retrieved November 24, 2018.
- Perez, Sarah (June 22, 2015). "Google Launches A New Home For Journalists With "News Lab"". TechCrunch. Retrieved November 24, 2018.
- "Google News Lab visiting speaker Vincent Ryan". microsites.bournemouth.ac.uk. Bournemouth University Center for Excellence in Learning. November 6, 2018. Retrieved November 24, 2018.