|Release date||October 4, 2017|
|Operating system||Chrome OS|
|CPU||Intel Core i5 or Core i7|
|Memory||8 or 16 GB RAM|
|Storage||128, 256 or 512 GB SSD|
|Display||12.3 in (310 mm), 2,400 × 1,600 resolution|
|Successor||Google Pixel Slate|
The Pixelbook was planned as the next generation of Google laptops and is the successor to the Chromebook Pixel laptop discontinued in 2016. The company realized the Chromebook had become successful after a slow start, obtaining a market share of 58% of schools in the US, and designed the Pixelbook as a serious industry player that can compete with Apple and Microsoft in this field.
The Google Pixelbook features a 12.3-inch (310 mm) touchscreen design, allowing the device to be used like a tablet. The device also features Google Assistant with a dedicated button. It runs Chrome OS and can launch Android applications natively. It features instant tethering; if a wifi signal is dropped, the Pixelbook will automatically connect to a suitable smartphone signal.
The Pixelbook had a mixed response from the press, who praised the build quality but questioned the market for the device given the price.
- A review by The Verge said "Just like the iPad Pro, the Pixelbook is an incredibly nice and powerful machine that can handle most of your computing tasks — but probably not all of them."
- A review in The Guardian said "the king of Chromebooks is pricey but first rate."
- A review in Engadget described it as "a premium Chromebook that's worth the price."
- A review in Wired suggested that "I'm not sure anyone will buy one" in October 2017.
- The Financial Times published a positive review of the new Pixelbook, saying there was more functionality offline than in prior models, among other fixed problems.
- Hardawar, Devindra. "Google's Pixelbook is a 2-in-1 premium Chromebook". Engadget. Retrieved November 30, 2017.
- "Google Pixelbook, Laptop with Google Assistant". Google. Retrieved October 18, 2017.
- "Google launches Pixelbook – the most expensive Chromebook yet". Which. October 12, 2017. Retrieved October 18, 2017.
- "Google discontinues the Chromebook Pixel 2 | VentureBeat". venturebeat.com. Retrieved December 25, 2017.
- "Google Pixelbook review: the Chromebook grows up". TechCrunch. October 26, 2017. Retrieved December 14, 2017.
- "Hands on: Google Pixelbook review". Tech Radar. Retrieved October 18, 2017.
- Fingas, Jon. "Google's Pixelbook Pen searches for what you circle". Engadget. Retrieved November 30, 2017.
- "Google Pixelbook review: emperor of Chrome". The Verge. Retrieved December 25, 2017.
- Gibbs, Samuel (December 7, 2017). "Google Pixelbook review: the king of Chromebooks is pricey but first rate". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved December 25, 2017.
- "Google Pixelbook review: A premium Chromebook that's worth the price". Engadget. Retrieved December 25, 2017.
- "Google's new Pixelbook packs a punch – but is it enough for pros?". Wired. October 4, 2017. Retrieved October 18, 2017.
- Waters, Richard (October 26, 2017). "Review: Google's Pixelbook — nearly everything breaks new ground". Financial Times. United Kingdom. Retrieved October 29, 2017.