Google Play Games
|Initial release||July 24, 2013|
|Website||Google Play Games on Google Play|
Google Play Games is an online gaming service and software development kit operated by Google, part of its Google Play product line, for the Android operating system. It features gamer profiles, cloud saves, social and public leaderboards, achievements, and real-time multiplayer gaming capabilities. The Play Games service allows developers to incorporate the above features into their games without having to develop those features from scratch themselves.
The Google Play Games service was introduced at the Google I/O 2013 Developer Conference, and the standalone Google Play Games mobile app was launched for Android on July 24, 2013. Andrew Webster of The Verge compared Google Play Games to Game Center, a similar gaming network for users of Apple Inc.'s own iOS operating system.
Real-time and turn-based multiplayer services have been deprecated since September 16, 2019. Support for these API functions ended on March 31, 2020.
- "Google Play Games". APKMirror. Android Police. Retrieved September 13, 2020.
- "Google Play Games (Android TV)". APKMirror. Android Police. Retrieved September 13, 2020.
- Hartrell, Greg (March 17, 2014). "Unlocking the Power of Google for Your Games, at GDC". Android Developers Blog. Google. Retrieved January 18, 2017.
- Webster, Andrew (May 15, 2013). "Google announces Play game services, Android's cross-platform answer to Game Center". The Verge. Vox Media. Retrieved January 18, 2017.
- Ingraham, Nathan (July 24, 2013). "Google takes on Game Center with Google Play Games for Android". The Verge. Vox Media. Retrieved January 18, 2017.
- Curtis, Duncan (October 28, 2015). "Google Play Games: capture and share the moment". Official Android Blog. Google. Retrieved January 18, 2017.
- Frenkel, Benjamin (February 18, 2016). "Embrace your inner gaming hero with Gamer ID". The Keyword Google Blog. Google. Retrieved January 18, 2017.
- "Google Play Games gets new mini-games and redesign in version 5.3". Android Authority. November 13, 2017. Retrieved September 1, 2020.
- "Ending support for multiplayer APIs in Play Games Services - Play Console Help". Google Support. Retrieved December 23, 2019.
|This Google-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|