Type of site
Until 20 May 2015, the service was called Google Webmaster Tools. In January 2018, Google introduced a new version of the search console, with changes to the user interface. In September 2019, old Search Console reports, including the home and dashboard pages, were removed.
The service includes tools that let webmasters
- Submit and check a sitemap.
- Check the crawl rate, and view statistics about when Googlebot accesses a particular site.
- Receive alerts when Google encounters indexing, spam, or other issues on your site.
- Show you which sites link to your website.
- Write and check a robots.txt file to help discover pages that are blocked in robots.txt accidentally.
- List internal and external pages that link to the website.
- Get a list of links which Googlebot had difficulty in crawling, including the error that Googlebot received when accessing the URLs in question.
- Set a preferred domain (e.g. prefer example.com over www.example.com or vice versa), which determines how the site URL is displayed in SERPs.
- Highlight to Google Search elements of structured data which are used to enrich search hit entries (released in December 2012 as Google Data Highlighter).
- View site speed reports from the Chrome User Experience Report.
- Page Experience Report including - Core Web Vitals, and HTTPS.
- Receive notifications from Google for manual penalties.
- Provide access to an API to add, change and delete listings and list crawl errors.
- Check the security issues if there are any with the website. (Hacked Site or Malware Attacks)
- Add or remove the property owners and associates of the web property.
- Check Merchant Listings Report and Product Snippet Report
- "Linking Google Analytics to Webmaster Tools". Google Developers. Retrieved 2021-04-08.
- "Announcing Google Search Console - the new Webmaster Tools". Retrieved 2015-05-21.
- "Saying goodbye to the old Search Console". Retrieved 2019-09-10.
- "SEO Starter Guide: The Basics | Google Search Central". Google Developers. Retrieved 2021-04-08.
- "Crawl Stats report - Search Console Help". support.google.com. Retrieved 2023-04-05.
- "About Search Console - Search Console Help". support.google.com. Retrieved 2023-09-02.
- "How To Use Search Console | Google Search Central". Google Developers. Retrieved 2021-04-08.
- Boudreaux, Ryan (2013-06-18). "How to use Google Data Highlighter, part 1". TechRepublic. Retrieved 2015-09-04.
- "Page Experience report - Search Console Help". support.google.com. Retrieved 2023-04-05.
- DeMers, Jayson. "3 Steps to Take When You Suspect an Algorithmic Penalty From Google". searchenginejournal.com. Retrieved 7 March 2014.
- Cutts, Matt. "View manual webspam actions in Webmaster Tools". Retrieved 7 March 2014.
- "Webmaster Tools API | Google Developers". Google Developers. Retrieved 2015-06-02.
- Documentation to Improve SEO | Google Search Central
- Google Search Console (New version)
- "Official Google Webmaster Central Blog". Webmaster Central Blog. 2010-02-16. Retrieved 2010-02-16.
- "Official Google Webmaster Central Help Forum". Webmaster Central Help Forum. 2010-02-16. Retrieved 2010-02-16.