Google Street View in Oceania
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (June 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
On 4 August 2008, the long-anticipated image collection of Australia was introduced. At this time, 18 camera icons were added. Extensive mapping of New Zealand was included on 1 December 2008. On 9 December 2008, Darwin, Australia, and other locations were included. On 30 October 2009, Google Australia announced that they would be sending its fleet of cars back on the road from November 2009 to update Street View Australia with new images.
In October 2010, Google Street View ceased operations in Australia after its Street View cars were found to have been collecting Wi-Fi data from home Wi-Fi networks. In May 2011, Google Australia stated that they had removed all the Wi-Fi sniffing equipment and that they planned to shoot Australian roads again, but did not provide a specific timetable. On 27 July 2011, major urban and regional centres of Australia were updated with the new HD imagery.
In February 2015 another update of Australia with HD imagery was released, as part of the first update in Northern Territory after the low-resolution imagery. It also affected parts of Western Australia and Queensland. However, some places still have only low-resolution imagery or don't even have Street View coverage at all. As of June 2015, the updates of Australia footage are ongoing.
Timeline of introductions
|Date||Major locations added|
|4 August 2008||Adelaide, Albany, Alice Springs, Brisbane, Broken Hill, Cairns, Canberra, Geraldton, Hobart, Karratha, Melbourne, Mount Isa, Perth, Rockhampton, Sydney, Tamworth, Wagga Wagga and more rural areas|
|1 December 2008||Major part of New Zealand|
|9 December 2008||More areas in Australia|
|27 July 2011||Update with HD images in various locations in Australia|
|June 29, 2011||Bonin Islands|
|October 27, 2011||Full introduction of Google Business Views, including new businesses in New Zealand|
|21 February 2012||Update with HD images in various locations in New Zealand|
|April 3, 2012|| Art Gallery of New South Wales, National Gallery of Australia, in Australia
|September 25, 2012||Underwater imagery in Australia and Hawaii (United States)|
|November 28, 2012||Luna Park Sydney, Taronga Zoo, in Australia|
|September 3, 2013||Updated areas, including Christchurch and Auckland, and more locations in New Zealand|
|December 11, 2013||Adamstown, Henderson Island in Pitcairn Islands|
|21 April 2014||Updates and more locations in Australia|
|4 June 2014|
|September 22, 2014||Unincorporated territories of the United States including:
Hagåtña and more locations in Guam
Capitol Hill, Saipan, Garapan and more locations in the Northern Mariana Islands
|18 February 2015||Update and more locations in Australia|
|2 March 2015||Queensland Museum, Australian War Memorial, National Museum of Australia, National Portrait Gallery, Powerhouse Museum, Australian Centre for the Moving Image and Public Record Office Victoria in Australia|
|May 29, 2015||Pago Pago, Fagatogo, Tafuna, Ofu-Olosega, Manu'a and more locations in American Samoa|
|June 4, 2015|| Underwater views in Papua, Indonesia
Underwater views in the Solomon Islands
Underwater views in the Cook Islands
|July 14, 2015||Update and more locations in Australia, including HD update of Alice Springs|
|November 3, 2015||Milford Track, Kepler Track, Abel Tasman Coast Track, Lake Waikaremoana Great Walk, Heaphy Track, Routeburn Track, Rakiura Track|
Most towns, cities, villages, major and rural roads.
- Galapagos Islands - Some paths and some beach walks.
- Mountain climbing at the Puncak Jaya mountain
- For more details, see Google Street View in the United States.
For other parts of Japan and Indonesia, see Google Street View in Asia.
Countries without any coverage
Countries of Oceania which do not have coverage:
Of these countries, the following have photospheres, 360 degree panorama photos similar to the streetview photos, accessible in Google maps:
Chile, Fiji, France, Kiribati, Nauru, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Tonga, Vanuatu
- Chloe Herrick. "Google: Street View cars no longer in operation in Australia". Retrieved 2013-01-19.
- "Google Australia lays out future Street View privacy measures – Street View, security, privacy, Google, data – Privacy – Security". Techworld. 5 May 2011. Retrieved December 16, 2011.
- "Official Google Australia Blog: Updates to Street View in Australia". Google-au.blogspot.com. Retrieved 2013-01-19.
- "Google Lat Long: Dive into the Great Barrier Reef with the first underwater imagery in Google Maps". Google-latlong.blogspot.com. 2012-09-25. Retrieved 2013-01-19.
- Pollard, Emma (2015-03-03). "Australian museum and galleries gets virtual tour treatment from Google Street View technology - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)". Abc.net.au. Retrieved 2015-12-03.
- Michael de Waal-Montgomery (2015-11-04). "Enter the world of 'The Lord of the Rings' with Google's latest Street View imagery from New Zealand". VentureBeat. Retrieved 2015-12-03.
- "Christchurch, New Zealand". EveryScape. Retrieved 2013-10-18.