||It has been suggested that this article be split into multiple articles. (July 2014)|
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2015)|
|Look up goombah in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
Optional spellings Goomba, Goombah, Gumba, Gumbah.
Goombah is a slang term referring to people of Italian descent, mainly in the US.
Goombah and similar forms probably derived as an alteration of compa' , the apocoped, oxytone form of compare found in the Southern Italian dialects. Compare originally defined (and it still does in Italy) both the godfather and the godson of a Catholic Baptism; hence "benefactor, friend". This ultimately derives from medieval Latin compater.
Gumba is a slang noun for a companion or associate, especially an older friend who acts as a patron, protector, or adviser. When used by non-Italians, goomba is often derogatory in nature, implying a stereotypical Italian-American male or Mafioso.
Goomba, Goombah, Gumba, Gumbah may also refer to:
- Goombas, fictional creatures in the Super Mario video game series
- Goomba, a Game Boy video game emulator named for the Mario creature
- A dumb person
- A Goomba's Guide to Life, a book by Steve Schirripa and Charles Fleming (ISBN 1-4000-4639-4)
- Goombah, alternative spelling of gumbe, a Jamaican drum; see List of Caribbean drums and Music of Jamaica
- Local term for Goombala Road in Victoria, Australia
- paisan, interchangeable non-pejorative slang for an Italian American
- Guido (slang)
|This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the title Goombah.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.