Kingsthorpe Haden Road, 2014
|Population||1,032 (2011 census)|
|Location||38 km (24 mi) NNW of Toowoomba|
The town boasts a unique ironman at the southern entrance to the town which is reminiscent of the Rural Ironman and Ironwoman competition which was once held annually on Australia Day. There is also a historic museum, an art gallery, a primary school and a police station.
The first meeting of the former local government area of Shire of Rosalie was held on 17 February 1879. The town is now part of the Toowoomba Region local government area. Goombungee Post Office opened by 1895 (a receiving office had been open from 1878, first known as Gomoran).
In 2003, the town was connected to a mains water supply.
Goombungee has a number of heritage-listed sites, including:
- Hartwig Street: Goombungee War Memorial which was unveiled by Sir T W Glasgow in December 1920.
The Goombungee Library is operated by the Toowoomba Regional Council. The library is located at 89 Mocatta Street and is open three days a week (Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday).
Each November, Goombungee hosts a Jacaranda Day festival in the main street, celebrating the history of the town and the blooming jacarandas and silky oaks. The annual Goombungee-Haden Show is held each autumn at the picturesque showgrounds in the town. The Goombungee Rodeo is also held there on the first Saturday in November.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "Goombungee (State Suburb)". 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 28 December 2014.
- "Goombungee - town (entry 14265)". Queensland Place Names. Queensland Government. Retrieved 12 December 2016.
- "Goombungee - locality (entry 47952)". Queensland Place Names. Queensland Government. Retrieved 12 December 2016.
- "Goombungee". Retrieved 7 November 2014.
- "Goombungee". queenslandholidays.com.au. Tourism Queensland. Retrieved 27 September 2010.
- Jenny Swan and Jess Daly. "Goombungee goes period for 125th anniversary". ABC Southern Queensland. Australian Broadcasting Corporation. Retrieved 27 September 2010.
- Premier Postal History. "Post Office List". Premier Postal Auctions. Retrieved 10 May 2014.
- "Minister turns on taps for Rosalie Shire residents". ABC News Online. Australian Broadcasting Corporation. 14 November 2003. Retrieved 27 September 2010.
- "Goombungee War Memorial (entry 600826)". Queensland Heritage Register. Queensland Heritage Council. Retrieved 15 July 2013.
- "The Week at a Glance.". The Queenslander (Brisbane, Qld. : 1866 - 1939). Brisbane, Qld.: National Library of Australia. 18 December 1920. p. 25. Retrieved 7 November 2014.
- "Toowoomba Regional Council". Archived from the original on 24 October 2014. Retrieved 11 November 2014.
- Winners Gallery - Tidy Towns - Queensland. Keep Queensland Beautiful. Retrieved 28 December 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Goombungee, Queensland.|