Goonyella Riverside Mine
|Production||14,000,000 Tonnes / Year|
|Company||BHP Mitsubishi Alliance (100%)|
Goonyella Riverside is a large open cut coking coal mine in the Bowen Basin. It is one of many coal mines in Central Queensland and is located at Moranbah about 30 km north of the township. The mine produced 12.4 million tonnes of metallurgical coal from July 2012 to June 2013. It is owned by the BHP Mitsubishi Alliance.The Goonyella Upper Seam, the Goonyella Middle Seam and the Goonyella Lower Seam are all mined at the site. The coal is well known for its great coking characteristics. Much of the coal was such a high grade, the wash plants were often programmed to add ash to meet the contracted export quality targets.
The Goonyella Mine was operated by the Utah Development Corporation in the 1970s before being sold to BHP. Operations commenced in 1971 at Goonyella while mining began at Riverside in 1982.
The mine is colour coded to "Goonyella Green", and the haul trucks were given names of racehorses.
- "Welcome to Goonyella Riverside Mine" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 27 September 2017. Retrieved 27 September 2017.
- "About Billiton Mitsubishi Alliance". Archived from the original on 18 February 2011. Retrieved 27 September 2017.
- "BHP Billiton may cut coal output at big Australian mine". Reuters. 11 June 2014. Retrieved 1 July 2014.
- "Our business". BHP. Retrieved 26 September 2017.
- "Mitsubishi Development Pty Ltd". The Queensland Resources Council. Retrieved 26 September 2017.
- Mining for Dummies. Tererai Dube.
|This Queensland location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a specific Australian geological feature is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|