|Location||Bow Hill, West Sussex in West Sussex, England|
|Area||1.665 hectares (4.11 acres)|
Goosehill Camp is a prehistoric earthwork that dates back to the Iron Age. It consists of two concentric banks and ditches. The inner enclosure has one entrance and surround two levelled hut sites. Goosehill Camp is within the Kingley Vale National Nature Reserve, on the South Downs.
Goosehill Camp's first recorded excavation was carried out by J. R. Boyden. This excavation was carried out between 1953 and 1955.
|Site Director||J. R. Boyden|
|Site Supervisor||Peter Tennant|
|Site Supervisor||Frank Hawtin|
|Site Assistants||Pupils from Bedales School|
|Site Assistant||John Kenchenton|
|Site Assistant||Mrs. Kenchenton|
|Illustrator||C. H. Byrne|
|Illustrator||A. E. Sewell|
|Advisor||Stuart Piggott C.B.E.|
|Advisor||Dr. A. E. Wilson|
|Advisor||A. H. Collins|
|Advisor||G. P. Burstow F.S.A.|
|Advisor||M. A. Burstow|
An excavation took place between 2008-2009 and was carried out by the University College London's Institute of Archaeology, under Mark Roberts. These excavations were complemented by a topographical survey and a magnetometry survey.
More recently, between 2014 and 2016 a field survey has been conducted, around Kingley Vale, by programme of volunteer based fieldwork, led under the guidance and support of professional archaeologists.[a]Goosehill Camp was included in the survey.
- The survey was part of the “Secrets of the High Woods” project that investigated the “Wooded Estates” of West Sussex and a part of Hampshire using airborne laser scanning, field survey and archival research.
- "Goosehill Camp". National Monuments Record. English Heritage. Archived from the original on 3 October 2012. Retrieved 8 March 2011.
- Boyden, J. R. (1956). "Excavations at Goosehill Camp, 1953-5". Sussex Archaeology Collection. 94: pages 70–99.
- Natural England (2010). "NE275: Kingley Vale National Nature Reserve" (PDF). Natural England. Retrieved 2011-10-30.
- Thorne, Alice; Bennett, Rebecca (2015). "Secrets of the High Woods". Midhurst: South Downs National Park Authority: 1.
- Dodd, James (2016). "Report of volunteer fieldwork conducted in and around Kingley Vale National Nature Reserve, West Sussex, by the ‘Secrets of the High Woods’ project, March 2015 & February 2016". Midhurst: South Downs National Park: 2.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Goosehill Camp.|