Goostrey railway station
Goostrey railway station
|Local authority||Cheshire East|
|Number of platforms||2|
|Live arrivals/departures, station information and onward connections
from National Rail Enquiries
|Annual rail passenger usage*|
|National Rail – UK railway stations|
|* Annual estimated passenger usage based on sales of tickets in stated financial year(s) which end or originate at Goostrey from Office of Rail and Road statistics. Methodology may vary year on year.|
|UK Railways portal|
The line was built by the Manchester and Birmingham Railway Company and completed on 10 August 1842. Goostrey station was added by the London & North Western Railway Company, opening on 1 September 1891. In a 1971 photo a keystone on the platform at the foot of a mast had the MBR coat of arms and an inscription, 'MBR 1844 G. W. Buck Engineer'. In 1958 it had been removed from the Manchester side of the road bridge at the station, when it was rebuilt to provide clearance for the electric wires; the keystone on the Crewe side showed W. Baker as engineer, but was broken when it was removed.
There is generally an hourly service southbound to Crewe and northbound to Manchester Piccadilly via Stockport with a limited number of services a day to Manchester via Manchester Airport (peak hours only).
The December 2008 timetable also saw the introduction of a regular 2-hourly Sunday service to Manchester Piccadilly and Crewe. Services are operated by Northern.
Friends of Goostrey Station
A Friends Group was founded on 1 May 2012.
- "Manchester and Birmingham relic". Railway Magazine. November 1971. p. 613. Retrieved 2017-01-06.
- "Bridge at Goostrey Station". Railway Magazine. Sep 1958. p. 653. Retrieved 2017-01-06.
- Table 84 National Rail timetable, May 2016
- "Local Information › Local Organisations :: Goostrey Village". www.goostrey.info. Retrieved 2017-01-06.
- Mitchell, Vic; Smith, Keith (2014). Crewe to Manchester. Middleton Press. figs. 26-27. ISBN 9781908174574. OCLC 892047119.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Goostrey railway station.|
- Train times and station information for Goostrey railway station from National Rail
- Crewe-Manchester Community Rail Partnership
- Official website for the Station and the Friends of Goostrey Station Group
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
|This article on a railway station in North West England is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|