|This article does not cite any sources. Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sources. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. (December 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
The geographical coordinates of Gopalapuram is 13° 2' 50" North and 80° 15' 28" East. Nungambakkam, Royapettah, Mylapore, Teynampet are neighboring localities. It is located one kilometer east of Nungambakkam. Chennai International Airport is 17 km south-west of Gopalapuram. Chennai Central railway station is 3 km north-east. It is located in between Dr. Radhakrishnan Salai and Anna Salai
Avvai Shanmugam Road passes through Gopalapuram. To the north of that road, the area is called North Gopalapuram and to the south, the area is called South Gopalapuram. Gopalapuram comes under Chennai Central Lok Sabha constituency.
Gopalapuram has many schools which are considered to be the best in Chennai. The educational institutions at Gopalapuram include:
- DAV Girls Senior Secondary School
- DAV Boys Senior Secondary School
- National Public School
- Sri Sarada Secondary School (Affiliated to the CBSE)
- Church Park Convent
- Gopalapuram Boys Higher Secondary School
- Ganapathy Girls Higher Secondary School
- Sri Venugopalaswamy Temple
- Residence of Dr.M Karunanidhi (Former CM of Tamil Nadu)
- U.S Consulate General
- Semmozhi Poonga (Literally translated to "Classical Language Park") is a botanical garden in Chennai set up by the horticulture department of the Government of Tamil Nadu. The garden was opened on 24 November 2010 by then chief Minister Dr.M. Karunanidhi and is the first botanical garden in the city.
- Khadi Gramodyog Bhavan
Easwari Lending Library, oldest in the city of Chennai.
SPI Cinemas, popularly known 'Satyam cinemas'.