This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
January 4, 1925
Puravali, Uttar Pradesh, British India
July 19, 2018 (aged 93)|
Son - Milan Prabhat
Gopaldas Saxena 'Neeraj (popularly known as Niraj or Neeraj; 4 January 1925 – 19 July 2018) was an Indian poet and author of Hindi literature. He was also a famous poet of Hindi Kavi sammelan. He was born in the village of Puravali near Mahewa of Etawah in Uttar Pradesh, India on 4 January 1925. He wrote under the pen name "Neeraj". His style is easy to understand and considered to be high quality Hindi literature. He was awarded Padma Shri in 1991 and Padma Bhushan in 2007.
Besides writing, he earned his living teaching in a college and was a Professor of Hindi Literature in Dharma Samaj College, Aligarh. Several of his poems and songs have been used in Hindi movies and are considered famous. He wrote songs for several Hindi Movies and attained a unique position as a songwriter who wrote with equal facility in both Hindi and Urdu.
In the television interview, Gopaldas Neeraj called himself an unlucky poet which led to his stopping himself from writing film songs and confining himself to just writing and getting his poems published. The reason for this mentioned by him was that at least two or three prominent Music Directors of the Hindi Film Industry for whom he wrote very successful and popular songs, had expired. He mentioned the death of Jaikishan of the music duo Shankar-Jaikishan as well as of S.D.Burman or Sachin Dev Burman, for both of whom he had written highly popular film songs. The deaths of these Music Directors when they as well as Gopaldas Neeraj were at the peak of their popularity, left him very depressed and he made a decision to quit the film industry. He used to perform in Hindi kavi sammelan until few days ago of his demise.
- https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/magazines/panache/poet-gopaldas-neeraj-passes-away-at-93-pm-modi-tweets-condolences/articleshow/65062798.cms. Retrieved 20 July 2018. Missing or empty
- "Yesterday Once More". The Indian Express. 9 April 2011. Retrieved 14 June 2018.
- "Padma Awards" (PDF). Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. 2015. Archived from the original (PDF) on 15 November 2014. Retrieved 21 July 2015.
- "Padma Awards 2007". Retrieved 2013-03-01.
- "Lyricist and poet Gopal Das Saxena 'Neeraj' dies at 93". indianexpress. 20 July 2018. Retrieved 20 July 2018.
- "Neeraj, once more". The Hindu. Retrieved 2017-09-05.
- Srivastava, Piyush (2012-09-04). "Hindi poets from SP citadels kick up a row". Daily Mail. London. Retrieved 2013-03-01.
- "Gopaldas Neeraj Passes Away". Naya India. Retrieved 2018-07-19.
- कवि व गीतकार गोपाल दास नीरज का लंबी बीमारी के बाद निधन (in Hindi)
- "Doyen Of Hindi Poetry Gopal Das Neeraj Dies At 93". NDTV.com. Retrieved 2018-07-20.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Gopaldas Neeraj.|
- Neeraj on IMDb
- Get All Poems of Gopaldas Neeraj at Hindi Sahitya
- Gopaldas Neeraj at Kavita Kosh
- C.M. announces Rs. 20 lakh assistance for Gopaldas Neeraj Foundation
- International Hindi association features Gopaldas Neeraj
- Life and work of Neeraj
- भारतीय साहित्य संग्रह में नीरज की कृतियाँ
- An account from the Atlanta appearance by the poet Neeraj which took place in October 2004