|Elevation||114 m (374 ft)|
|• Official||Bengali and English|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
|ISO 3166 code||IN-WB|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Jhargram|
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||Nayagram|
Earlier this area was a part of Mayurbhanj princely state. The place was earlier known as Kashipur. Shyamananda Mahaprabhu, a prominent figure in the Vaishnava sect, was being commanded by Shrimati Radha Rani to travel and carry the holy waters of Yamuna to this place and establish a temple since then the village is named after Gopiballav (Sri Krishna). Kashipur came to be known as Gopiballavpur since then. The village houses this old temple since 1400 and its being run and administered by Vaishnava Goswami Families since then. Currently the Mahant is the head of the temple.
The temple is known as Shri Radha Govinda Mandir and known to the vaishnavas as "Gupta Vrindavan". It houses the idols of Shri Radha Govind Ji and Smt. Radha Rani along with idols of Jagannatha Mahaprabhu, Balabhadra and Subadhra. An annual Car Festival (Ratha Yatra) is held every year. Gopiballabpur also houses ancient Mahadev Temple where Gajan Mela is held every year. Besides Gajon, Chorok Mela, Snan Jatra, Jhulon Jatra are prominent festivals in the area. The chou dancers from Orissa are brought every year to give performances to audience in these fairs.
Gopiballavpur is located at  It has an average elevation of 34 metres (114 feet)..
An Ecopark has been newly constructed in the town by the bank of the river Subarnarekha to attract people. There are Forest Bungalows in Hatibari, 20 km from Gopiballavpur, which is situated near Bengal, Orissa and Jharkhand border. These bungalows are situated in dense forest and developed for the natural lover to enjoy the wild life with the local forest animals. As this area is well known for the elephant zone spread from Jhargram to Dumla range. Once this forest is also well known for the red zone for Maoist belt .Now the time changes and local people return to mainstream. This place is safe for the tourist; local people are also friendly nature. The combination of river with dense forest in its bank creates an awesome look for the visitors. Rameshwar is another temple in this area.Jhilli dam is near to 10 kilometer from Gopiballavpur.This one of the popular tourist spot in Jhargram district. The surrounding atmosphere of dense forest and Subarna Rekha River present a marvelous look. This lake or dam converted into bird sanctuary during winter season when the migrated birds from north come here.Rameswar temple of Gopiballavpur is believed that constructed by lord Rama on the request of queen Sita with the help of Vishwakarma.
As per 2011 Census of India Gopiballavpur had a total population of 4,061 of which 2,055 (51%) were males and 2,006 (49%) were females. Population below 6 years was 401. The total number of literates in Gopiballavpur was 3,111 (76.61% of the population over 6 years).
Gopiballavpur is accessible by road from Kolkata and Orissa. Regular deluxe bus service run from Esplanade to Gopiballavpur. Prominent players are the Nilmadhaba Bus Service,Joymadhavba Bus Service, Devdas Bus Service, Das and Das Bus Service and the buses of Dhumsai route. Night service buses run to and from Cuttack, Bhubaneswar and Puri.
By rail Gopiballavpur is about (48 km) from Jhargram. Take Ispat Express from Howrah station in the morning to reach Jhargram. The journey takes a little more than two hours. Also, several buses from Kharagpur railway station are available.
- Nayabasan Janakalyan Vidyapith
- Nayabasan Janakalyan Balika Vidyapith
- Chhatinasole S. C. High School
- Bansda S. C. High School
- Bakra Shyama Smriti Vidyapith
- Asui Pallimangal Vidyapith
- Babudumro High School
- Madansole Netaji High School
- Panchkahania High School
- Chhay Hazari High School
- Subarnarekha Mahavidyalaya [http://www.smahavidyalaya.org/]:It is affiliated to Vidyasagar University.It offers B.A.Honours course in Bengali/English/History/Geography/ Sanskrit & Santali.B.Sc (Hons) in Anthropology & Geography,B.Com (Hons) in Accountancy.Subarnarekha Mahavidyalaya is in the list of top 3 Colleges in the Jhargram Sub-division.
The Gopiballavpur Super Speciality Hospital is the local hospital.
- Falling Rain Genomics, Inc - Gopiballavpur
- "2011 Census – Primary Census Abstract Data Tables". West Bengal – District-wise. Registrar General and Census Commissioner, India. Retrieved 27 October 2016.
- "District Statistical Handbook 2014 Paschim Medinipur". Tables 2.1, 2.2. Department of Statistics and Programme Implementation, Government of West Bengal. Archived from the original on 29 July 2017. Retrieved 14 October 2016.
- "District at a Glance". Paschim Medinipur District Police. Retrieved 27 October 2016.
- "List of State Highways in West Bengal". West Bengal Traffic Police. Retrieved 15 September 2016.