Gora Svetega Lovrenca (until 1955)
|Traditional region||Lower Carniola|
|Statistical region||Lower Sava|
|• Total||0.87 km2 (0.34 sq mi)|
|Elevation||424.5 m (1,392.7 ft)|
Gora (pronounced [ˈɡɔːɾa]; German: Sankt Lorenzberg) is a small village in the hills northwest of Leskovec in the Municipality of Krško in eastern Slovenia. The area was traditionally part of Lower Carniola. It is now included with the rest of the municipality in the Lower Sava Statistical Region.
The name of the settlement was changed from Gora Svetega Lovrenca (literally, 'Mount Saint Lawrence') to Gora (literally, 'mountain') in 1955. The name was changed on the basis of the 1948 Law on Names of Settlements and Designations of Squares, Streets, and Buildings as part of efforts by Slovenia's postwar communist government to remove religious elements from toponyms. In the past the German name was Sankt Lorenzberg.
The local church, built in the northern part of the village, is dedicated to Saint Lawrence and belongs to the Parish of Krško. It is a Romanesque building that was partly rebuilt in the 19th century. Some Roman material was re-used in the original construction of the church.
- Statistical Office of the Republic of Slovenia
- Leksikon občin kraljestev in dežel zastopanih v državnem zboru, vol. 6: Kranjsko. 1906. Vienna: C. Kr. Dvorna in Državna Tiskarna, p. 76.
- Krško municipal site
- Spremembe naselij 1948–95. 1996. Database. Ljubljana: Geografski inštitut ZRC SAZU, DZS.
- Premk, F. 2004. Slovenska versko-krščanska terminologija v zemljepisnih imenih in spremembe za čas 1921–1967/68. Besedoslovne lastnosti slovenskega jezika: slovenska zemljepisna imena. Ljubljana: Slavistično društvo Slovenije, pp. 113–132.
- Urbanc, Mimi, & Matej Gabrovec. 2005. Krajevna imena: poligon za dokazovanje moči in odraz lokalne identitete. Geografski vestnik 77(2): 25–43.
- Slovenian Ministry of Culture register of national heritage reference number ešd 1953
|This article about the Municipality of Krško in Slovenia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|