|Part of Sahyadri Hill Range|
|Thane district, Maharashtra|
|Owner||Government of India|
|In use||Hermits for meditation|
Gorakhgad Fort / गोरखगड is a fort located 24 km from Murbad, Thane district, of Maharashtra. This fort is an important fort in Thane district. This fort was mainly used by sadhus or hermits for meditation. It was also used to guard the ancient trade route passing through Naneghat.
Not much history about this fort is known.
After main entrance gate there is an inscription in Marathi. There are rock cut water cisterns near the cave. The water is available round the year for drinking purpose. The cave is spacious and has square pillars. There is a small Mahadev temple on the top. The Ahupe Ghat and Siddhagad can be seen from the top.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Gorakhgad Fort.|
- List of forts in Maharashtra
- List of forts in India
- Marathi People
- Maratha Navy
- List of Maratha dynasties and states
- Maratha War of Independence
- Battles involving the Maratha Empire
- Maratha Army
- Maratha titles
- Military history of India
- List of people involved in the Maratha Empire
- Book "Saad Sahydrichi-Bhatkanti killyanchi" by P.K. Ghanekar