|Birth name||Sophie Payten|
|Born||28 December 1992|
|Origin||Canowindra, New South Wales, Australia|
|Genres||Folktronica, indie pop, acoustic|
|Labels||Jagjaguwar, Liberation Music|
Sophie Payten (born 28 December 1992), known professionally as Gordi, is an Australian folktronica singer/songwriter. Payten is based out of Sydney, New South Wales, where she currently resides. Payten hails from the small town of Canowindra, (population 2,381) in the central west of New South Wales.
Payten began receiving both national and international attention after playing independently across Sydney whilst at University, and releasing tracks online through government-funded national Australian radio station Triple J’s project Unearthed. After gaining some traction on the Australian music scene, and some radioplay on both Triple J itself and independent, not-for-profit Sydney community station FBi, Payten signed record deals with Jagjaguwar in the United States in February 2016 and Liberation Music in Australia in April 2016. Payten then released her debut EP Clever Disguise in May 2016. The EP was written entirely by Payten, collaborating with producers and mixers Ben McCarthy, Alex Somers and Francois Tetaz. Peyten was also nominated for the 2015 Unearthed Artist of the Year J Award from Triple J, the 2015 Next Big Thing SMAC (Sydney Music, Arts & Culture) Award from FBi Radio, and was dubbed one of the 40 best new bands of 2016 by Stereogum.
Payten typically plays with a full band, varying between a three and five piece, joined on stage by a drummer and a synthesizer/keys player, and often an extended brass section, while the front woman herself takes care of vocals, guitar, keys and samples. She has opened for the likes of Bon Iver, Of Monsters and Men, The Tallest Man on Earth, Highasakite, and Ásgeir. Payten also sang backing vocals for Bon Iver on their appearance on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon in September 2016.
Payten spent the beginning of 2017 in Iceland and the United States to finish work on her debut album, Reservoir, which was released on 25 August 2017.
Payten is credited with singing backing vocals on S.Carey’s 2018 album Hundred Acres.
|Title||Album details||Peak chart positions|
|"Nothing's as It Seems"||2015||Clever Disguise|
|"Avant Gardener" (cover)||Non-album single|
|"Can We Work It Out"||Clever Disguise|
|"So Here We Are"||Common Culture, Vol. VI (Connor Franta)|
|"00000 Million" (cover)||Non-album single|
|"Heaven I Know"||2017||Reservoir|
|"On My Side"|
- "Jagjaguwar | Gordi". jagjaguwar.com. Retrieved 2017-05-25.
- "Gordi - Liberation Music". liberation.com.au. Retrieved 2017-05-25.
- "GORDI - Clever Disguise - Music Feeds". Music Feeds. 2016-05-12. Retrieved 2017-05-25.
- "GORDI signs to Liberation Music & debuts new single 'Wanting' from her 'Clever Disguise' EP out May 13 | Mushroom Promotions". Mushroom Promotions. 2016-04-19. Retrieved 2017-05-25.
- "Here are your 2015 J Award nominees | Music News | triple j". www.abc.net.au. Retrieved 2017-05-25.
- "2015 FBi SMAC Nominees Announced - Music Feeds". Music Feeds. 2015-11-19. Retrieved 2017-05-25.
- "Stereogum's 40 Best New Bands Of 2016 - Stereogum - Page 2". Stereogum. 2016-11-01. Retrieved 2017-05-25.
- "Gordi scores Bon Iver tour slot and 'Best New Artist of 2016' nod | Music News | triple j". www.abc.net.au. Retrieved 2017-05-25.
- "Gordi pens two international deals and is named as support for Of Monsters and Men tour". hhhhappy.com. Retrieved 2017-05-25.
- Tredinnick, Jessamy. "Gordi Is Ready To Support Her Hero: The Tallest Man On Earth". scenestr.com.au. Retrieved 2017-05-25.
- "GORDI signs to Liberation Music & debuts new single 'Wanting' from her 'Clever Disguise' EP out May 13 - Liberation Music". liberation.com.au. Retrieved 2017-05-25.
- "ÁSGEIR · Handsome Tours". handsometours.com. Retrieved 2017-05-25.
- "Watch Bon Iver Debut "8 (circle)" On The Tonight Show". Stereogum. 2016-09-15. Retrieved 2017-05-25.
- "ARIA Australian Top 50 Albums". Australian Recording Industry Association. 4 September 2017. Retrieved 2 September 2017.