Johnson, left, with Kelly Hoppe
|Also known as||Grady Johnson|
|Born||Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada|
|Origin||Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada Windsor, Ontario, Canada|
|Instruments||Guitar, vocals, bass|
|Associated acts||Big Sugar, Grady, Wide Mouth Mason, Sit Down Servant|
|Gibson double neck guitar Gibson Gordie Johnson Signature Model|
Johnson was born in Winnipeg, Manitoba, of Ukrainian descent. He grew up in Medicine Hat, Alberta, and Windsor, Ontario, where he frequently crossed the river to play in Detroit, Michigan. He is a vocalist and guitarist for the reggae rock band Big Sugar and the cowboy metal band Grady, where he used his nickname "Grady" Johnson.
Johnson is a producer having done albums for other artists, including Gov't Mule, Taj Mahal, The Trews, The Joel Plaskett Emergency, Wide Mouth Mason, The Respectables, Reel Big Fish, Tim Chaisson & Morning Fold, Meredith Shaw and Chris Kirby among others.
Splitting his time between Alberta and Texas, but retains his Canadian nationality. In March 2011, it was announced that Johnson would be joining Wide Mouth Mason full-time as bassist. Johnson reformed Big Sugar in 2010 for some concert dates. The band released their new studio album Revolution Per Minute in 2011.
- 1991 – Big Sugar
- 1993 – Five Hundred Pounds
- 1995 – Dear M.F. (EP)
- 1995 – Ride Like Hell (EP)
- 1996 – Hemi-Vision
- 1998 – Heated
- 1999 – Chauffe à bloc (EP)
- 2000 – Extra Long Life (as Alkaline)
- 2001 – Brothers and Sisters, Are You Ready?
- 2001 – Brothers and Sisters, Êtes Vous Ready?
- 2003 – Hit & Run
- 2011 – Revolution Per Minute
- 2014 - Yardstyle
- 2006 – Y.U. So Shady?
- 2007 – A Cup of Cold Poison
- 2009 – Good As Dead
Wide Mouth Mason
- 2011 – No Bad Days
- Darryl Sterdan (27 June 2011). "Big Sugar sweet on hitting the road". Toronto Sun. Retrieved 22 September 2012.
A lot of performers say they get their energy from the crowd. I have never looked at it that way. I guess it's my Ukrainian work ethic.
- "Big Sugar Biography". Maple Music. Retrieved 14 December 2011.
- Wigney, Allan (July 12, 2007). "Gordie Johnson returns to roots". Canoe. Retrieved 2016-06-23.
- "Joel Plaskett Wins Billboard World Songwriting Contest". Retrieved 2016-06-23.
- Bliss, Karen (June 2011). "A Man of Many Parts: Singer, songwriter, guitarist, producer — Gordie Johnson does it all and does it well". Words & Music. Toronto: Society of Composers, Authors and Music Publishers of Canada. socan
.ca. ISSN 1195-8316. Retrieved 14 December 2011.
- "Meredith Shaw finds happy place with new album, new tour, and business success". PhotoMusicography. 2012-05-24.
- Ross, Mike (13 July 2005). "Gordie Johnson abandons T.O. for Texas". Jam!. Retrieved 14 December 2011.
- Factor, Amanda (20 June 2001). "Big Sugar's Gordie Johnson I Am Canadian Rant". Chart. Toronto: Chart Communications. ISSN 1198-7235. Retrieved 8 October 2009.
- Sterdan, Darryl (June 27, 2011). "Big Sugar sweet on hitting the road". Canoe. Retrieved 2016-06-23.