Johnson, left, with Kelly Hoppe
|Also known as||Grady Johnson|
|Born||Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada|
|Origin||Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada Windsor, Ontario, Canada|
|Instruments||Guitar, vocals, bass|
|Associated acts||Big Sugar, Grady, Wide Mouth Mason, Sit Down Servant, Gov't Mule|
Johnson was born in Winnipeg, Manitoba, of Ukrainian descent. He grew up in Windsor, Ontario, where he frequently crossed the river to play in Detroit, Michigan and spent his last year of school in Medicine Hat, Alberta before returning East to become a full-time musician. He is a vocalist and guitarist for the reggae rock band Big Sugar,the latin jazz band Sit Down Servant in which he plays a triple-neck steel guitar along with Moog bass pedals, and the cowboy metal band Grady.
Johnson also works as a producer, mixer and session musician. He has produced or mixed albums and tracks for artists such as Gov't Mule, Warren Haynes, The Glorious Sons, Taj Mahal, Bushwick Bill, Toots Hibbert, Sarah Slean, The Trews, Joel Plaskett Emergency, The Respectables, Tim Chaisson, Len, Reel Big Fish, Chris Duarte, Caroline Neron, Meredith Shaw, as well as playing and/or recording with Chris Robinson, Rich Robinson, Colin James, Default, Honky, Len, Molly Johnson, Jonny Lang and Double Trouble, Ashley MacIsaac, the Bourbon Tabernacle Choir and Big Rude Jake.
In 2003, Gibson guitar released a special edition limited run "Gordie Johnson signature series SGJ" guitar that incorporated fashion house Hugo Boss with a HUGO neckstrap and hardshell case (as the longtime clothing endorser of Gordie Johnson and Big Sugar).
- 1991 – Big Sugar
- 1993 – Five Hundred Pounds
- 1995 – Dear M.F. (EP)
- 1995 – Ride Like Hell (EP)
- 1996 – Hemi-Vision
- 1998 – Heated
- 1999 – Chauffe à bloc (EP)
- 2000 – Extra Long Life (as Alkaline)
- 2001 – Brothers and Sisters, Are You Ready?
- 2001 – Brothers and Sisters, Êtes Vous Ready?
- 2003 – Hit & Run
- 2011 – Revolution Per Minute
- 2012 – Eliminate Ya! DVD live CD
- 2014 – Yardstyle
- 2015 – Calling All The Youth
Sit Down Servant
Wide Mouth Mason
- 2011 - No Bad Days
- Darryl Sterdan (27 June 2011). "Big Sugar sweet on hitting the road". Toronto Sun. Retrieved 22 September 2012.
A lot of performers say they get their energy from the crowd. I have never looked at it that way. I guess it's my Ukrainian work ethic.
- "Big Sugar Biography". Maple Music. Retrieved 14 December 2011.
- "Gordie Johnson". Discogs. Retrieved 2016-10-24.