December 30, 1924|
Los Angeles, California
|Died||November 4, 2004 (aged 79)|
|Known for||Founded Military Armament Corporation with Mitchell L. WerBell III. Ingram was the creator of the MAC-10 and MAC-11 machine pistols, and popularized the submachine gun.|
Gordon B. Ingram (December 30, 1924 – November 4, 2004) was an American inventor and entrepreneur. Along with Mitchell L. WerBell III, they founded Military Armament Corporation. Ingram was the creator of the MAC-10 and MAC-11 machine pistols, and is widely credited with repopularizing the submachine gun.
Gordon B. Ingram was born in Los Angeles, California. His first foray into the weapons design world was during his years of service in the United States Army. He designed the Ingram Model 6 in 1949 and later went on to design and manufacture the famous MAC-10 and MAC-11, which earned him the moniker "father of the machine pistol". His design accomplishments spanned over forty years and left behind several notable designs. His Ranchero and Durango series of rifles incorporated the concept of multiple-use weapons that all use not only the same pistol-caliber rounds but the associated magazines as well.
- Iannamico, Frank (2016). The Mac Man: Gordon B. Ingram and His Submachine Guns. Chipotle Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-0-9823918-1-5.
- Bull, Stephen (2004). Encyclopedia of Military Technology and Innovation. Greenwood Publishing Group. p. 134. ISBN 978-1-57356-557-8.
- Truby, J. David (1972). Silencers, Snipers & Assassins: An Overview of Whispering Death. Paladin Press. pp. 108–110. ISBN 978-0-87364-012-1.
- Long, Duncan (1989). Terrifying Three: Uzi, Ingram and Intratec Weapons Families. Boulder, Colorado: Paladin Press. pp. 25–31. ISBN 978-0-87364-523-2.
- Willbanks, James H. (2004). Machine Guns: An Illustrated History of Their Impact. ABC-CLIO. p. 126. ISBN 978-1-85109-480-6.
- Hobart, Frank William Arthur (1975). Pictorial History of the Sub-machine Gun. Scribner. p. 51. ISBN 978-0-684-14186-2.
- Musgrave, Daniel D.; Nelson, Thomas B. (1967). The World's Assault Rifles and Automatic Carbines. T. B. N. Enterprises. pp. 524, 527.
- Sweeney, Patrick (18 January 2016). Gun Digest Book of Suppressors. Iola, Wisconsin: F+W Media, Inc. p. 39. ISBN 978-1-4402-4532-9.