Gordon Biersch Brewing Company
Gordon Biersch Brewery is an American brewery founded by Dan Gordon and Dean Biersch. Gordon, a graduate from the five-year brewing engineering program at Weihenstephan, Germany, and Biersch opened their first brewery restaurant in Palo Alto, California, in July 1988. In 1999, the restaurants were sold to what ultimately became CraftWorks Restaurants & Breweries.
In November 1995, the two founders and their original investors, wanting to expand their then $20 million business, accepted a $11.2 million investment from the Fertitta family of Las Vegas. Lorenzo Fertitta became the controlling owner. As of June 2014[update], Gordon Biersch brews beer for Costco and Trader Joe's under contract. The Gordon Biersch brewery and bottling plant is located in Japantown in San Jose, California. In 2016, Gordon Biersch released a dry-hopped red ale called "Chum," in honor of the San Jose Sharks.
Gordon Biersch Brewing Company has won several American awards. At the Great American Beer Festival they won gold in the category of Bohemian-style pilsner in 2004 and in the category of German Style Schwarzbier in 2007, and the Rauchbier brewed at the Gordon Biersch Restaurant in Annapolis, Maryland, won gold in 2014. In 2018 Gordon Bierch at Tysons Corner,VA by brewer Justin Damadio won a Gold Medal in the Bohemian Pilsner category at Great American Beer Festival  At the World Beer Cup 2002 they won gold in the category of sweet stout and bronze in the category of Vienna-Style Lager, and at the World Beer Cup 2006 they won gold in the German-Style Schwarzbier category.
- "Gordon Biersch: New Challenges and Opportunities", Harvard Business Review, May 2002.
- "Gordon Biersch names Allin president", Nation's Restaurant News, April 1996, via findarticles.com
- "Golden Road brews new house-brand beers for Trader Joe's", Los Angeles Times, June 2014.
- Gordon Biersch. "Brewery" (retrieved on April 14, 2009).
- Janice Bitters, "Gordon Biersch Brewing building in San Jose's Japantown sells for $10.5 million", Silicon Valley Business Journal, February 24, 2017.
- Sal Pizarro, "Gordon Biersch’s new San Jose Sharks beer is called 'Chum'", San Jose Mercury News, September 8, 2016.
- "Great American Beer Festival Winners List, 2004 (retrieved on August 15, 2017).
- "Great American Beer Festival Winners List" 2007 (retrieved on August 15, 2017).
- Wesley Case, "Gordon Biersch in Annapolis wins gold at Great American Beer Festival", Baltimore Sun, October 6, 2014.
- "World Beer Cup 2002 Winners List" (retrieved on August 15, 2017).
- "World Beer Cup 2006 Winners List" (retrieved on August 15, 2017).
Media related to Gordon Biersch Brewing Company at Wikimedia Commons