Gordon Richardson, Baron Richardson of Duntisbourne
|The Right Honourable
The Lord Richardson of Duntisbourne
KG MBE TD PC DL
|Governor of the Bank of England|
|Preceded by||Sir Leslie O'Brien|
|Succeeded by||Robin Leigh-Pemberton|
|Born||Gordon William Humphreys Richardson
25 November 1915
|Died||22 January 2010(aged 94)|
|Alma mater||Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge|
Gordon William Humphreys Richardson, Baron Richardson of Duntisbourne KG, MBE, TD, PC, DL (25 November 1915 – 22 January 2010) was a British banker, former lawyer, and former Governor of the Bank of England.
He served during World War II and became a Member of the Order of the British Empire, Military Division, in 1944. He was called to the bar at Gray's Inn in 1946, becoming a member of the Bar Council between 1951 and 1955, but abandoned law for a career in the City. He became a director of J. Henry Schroder & Co in 1957, and was later chairman between 1962 and 1973.
He was appointed Governor of the Bank of England in 1973, and remained in that position until 1983. November 1973 saw a run on London and County Securities, marking the start of the secondary banking crisis.
While serving as governor, Richardson joined the Privy Council (1976) and was awarded the Territorial Decoration (1979). He was created a life peer as Baron Richardson of Duntisbourne, of Duntisbourne in the County of Gloucestershire, and a Knight Companion of the Order of the Garter, both in 1983.
Richardson was a member of the Morgan Stanley advisory board from 1984. Between 1985 and 1991, he was a member of the Group of Thirty, and thereafter remained as their Honorary Chair. He was chairman of the Pilgrim Trust from 1984 to 1989.
On the evening of Friday 22 January 2010, the Bank of England released a statement announcing Richardson's death.
- "Former Bank of England governor Lord Richardson dies". BBC News Online. British Broadcasting Corporation. 23 January 2010. Retrieved 23 January 2010.
- "No. 49267". The London Gazette. 16 February 1983. p. 2283.
- "No. 49331". The London Gazette. 26 April 1983. p. 5667.
- "Lord Richardson of Duntisbourne, KG". The Telegraph. 24 Jan 2010.
- "Former bank governor dies aged 94". The Press Association.
- "Richardson of Duntisbourne, Baron". Who's Who. Oxford University Press. December 2008. Retrieved 1 November 2009.
- Lord Richardson of Duntisbourne – Daily Telegraph obituary
Sir Leslie O'Brien
|Governor of the Bank of England