Gordon Smith (footballer, born 1991)
|Date of birth||14 February 1991|
|Place of birth||Edinburgh, Scotland|
|Height||6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)|
|Calvary Park Colts FC|
|2009–2013||Heart of Midlothian||24||(1)|
|2010–2011||→ Stirling Albion (loan)||34||(11)|
|2011–2012||→ Hamilton Academical (loan)||3||(0)|
|2015–2016||→ Cowdenbeath (loan)||16||(3)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 14 January 2016.
Gordon Smith (born 14 February 1991) is a Scottish footballer who plays as a striker for National Premier Leagues Western Australia side ECU Joondalup. Smith has previously played for Scottish clubs Livingston, Hearts, Raith Rovers, Stirling Albion and Dumbarton, as well as having loan spells with Hamilton Academical and Cowdenbeath.
Smith signed for Livingston, who coached him to play as a striker. and gave him some appearances in the First Division. In the summer of 2009, with Livingston experiencing financial difficulties, Smith allowed his contract to expire.
Smith signed for Hearts in the summer of 2009. It was originally intended that he would play for their under-19 squad, but manager Csaba László promoted him to the first team after it became clear that the club would not sign another striker and pledged his faith in youth. He made his debut as a second-half substitute against Dinamo Zagreb in a UEFA Europa League tie. Smith scored his first goal for the club in his first league appearance, scoring Hearts' goal in a 1–1 draw with Edinburgh derby rivals Hibs at Easter Road. The following season Smith was sent on loan to Stirling Albion. Having impressed manager Jim Jefferies whilst on loan at Stirling Albion, Smith was awarded a new contract with Hearts.
On his return to Hearts games were limited to substitute appearances under new manager Paulo Sergio, although he played against Tottenham in the Europa League. Smith was sent on loan to Hamilton in December 2011. On his return he played the full 90 minutes against Auchinleck Talbot in the Scottish Cup scoring the only goal of the game in the 84th minute.
After the arrivals of Kevin Kyle and Stephen Elliott, Smith signed on loan for First Division club Stirling Albion in August 2010. Smith made 34 appearances and scored 11 league goals, although Stirling were relegated from the First Division. On 7 December 2011 Smith signed for Hamilton Academical on a months loan deal, making his debut on 10 December against Falkirk. He played in all three matches played during his loan spell and Hamilton requested it be extended but he returned to Hearts.
On 26 June 2013 Smith signed for Raith Rovers. After one season with Raith, he signed for Stirling Albion in June 2014. In June 2015, Smith moved to Scottish Championship side Dumbarton. After only three appearances, all from the bench, manager Stephen Aitken informed Smith he was free to leave the club. He joined Cowdenbeath on loan on August 28, 2015 making 19 appearances for the Scottish League One side, scoring three goals. In January 2016, Smith was released by Dumbarton and signed for Australian side ECU Joondalup. Of the move, Smith commented that he felt it was a "now or never" moment in realising his dream of playing football abroad.
|Club||Season||League||Scottish Cup||League Cup||Europe||Other||Total|
- Soccerbase did not record an appearance made by Smith against Dinamo Zagreb on 27 August 2009.
- Soccerbase did not record an appearance made by Smith against Partick Thistle on 20 November 2010.
- Hibs blew big chance with my boy, says Gordon Smith senior, The Scotsman, 5 January 2010.
- Paterson, Colleen. "Fans warned after Hearts chief denied striker". Edinburgh Evening News. Retrieved 3 January 2010.
- "Csaba's faith in youth | Hearts News | Hearts News | News | Hearts | Hearts". Heart of Midlothian F.C. official website. Archived from the original on 2 October 2009. Retrieved 3 January 2010.
- "Gordon Smith Hearts Profile". Heart of Midlothian F.C. 7 December 2011. Archived from the original on 1 August 2012. Retrieved 7 December 2011.
- "Smith's joy at dream Hearts goal". BBC Sport. 4 January 2010.
- "New Hearts Deals". Heart of Midlothian F.C. 13 May 2011. Retrieved 13 May 2011.[permanent dead link]
- "Smithy's starting ambition". Heart of Midlothian F.C. 7 December 2011. Archived from the original on 2 August 2012. Retrieved 7 December 2011.
- "Gordon joins Accies". Heart of Midlothian F.C. official website. 7 December 2011. Retrieved 7 December 2011.
- "Hearts 1 – 0 Auchinleck Talbot". BBC Sport. BBC. 7 January 2012. Retrieved 7 January 2012.
- "Smith joins Stirling Albion on loan". Heart of Midlothian F.C. official website. 13 August 2010. Archived from the original on 15 August 2010. Retrieved 13 August 2010.
- "Hamilton Accies take Hearts striker Gordon Smith on loan". BBC Sport. BBC. 7 December 2011. Retrieved 7 December 2011.
- "Falkirk 0 – 0 Hamilton Academical". Scottish Football League. 10 December 2011. Retrieved 7 January 2012.
- "Registrations Window Opens". Hamilton Academical F.C. January 2012. Archived from the original on 2012-08-01. Retrieved 7 January 2012.
- "Further Signing Announced". raithrovers.net. Raith Rovers F.C. 26 June 2013. Retrieved 26 June 2013.
- Binos land attacking trio, SPFL
- "Signing News: Striker joins the Sons". dumbartonfootballclub.com. 19 June 2015. Retrieved 19 June 2015.
- "Ex-Hearts striker Gordon Smith Joins ECU Joondalup". ecujoondalup.com.au. 14 January 2016. Retrieved 14 January 2016.
- "Gordon Smith". Soccerway. Retrieved 7 December 2011.
- Gordon Smith at Soccerbase
- "Gordon Smith Stats". London Hearts. Retrieved 7 December 2011.