|Full name||Gordon West|
|Date of birth||24 April 1943|
|Place of birth||Darfield, West Riding of Yorkshire, England|
|Date of death||10 June 2012(aged 69)|
|Place of death||Brighton-le-Sands, Merseyside, England|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only|
West played as a defender for Barnsley, Don and Dearne Boys, but when accompanying a friend to a trial with Blackpool decided to try out as a goalkeeper. The Lancashire club signed him, and West made his debut for Blackpool at the age of 17. After 33 League games for the Tangerines, he signed for Everton in March 1962 for £27,000, then a British record for a goalkeeper, replacing Albert Dunlop.
In his first full season on Merseyside, West won the 1962–63 Football League First Division with Everton. He became the club's first-choice goalkeeper for more than ten years, forming a partnership with central defender and captain, Brian Labone. In that period he won the FA Cup in 1966 and was a runner-up in 1968. In 1969–70 Everton won the league again, with West keeping 21 clean sheets, still a club record. He made 399 appearances for the Toffees and retired in 1973.
Life after football
After giving up football, West worked in security at RAF Woodvale and became an after dinner speaker. Former Everton and Wales goalkeeper Neville Southall campaigned for West to be rewarded with a testimonial game by Everton for his eleven years of service. West lived in Brighton-le-Sands, Merseyside. On 10 June 2012, West died of cancer in hospital. He is survived by his girlfriend Linda and his sons Stephen and Mark.
His funeral was attended by Martin Buchan, Colin Harvey, Dave Hickson, John Hurst, Cliff Marshall, Peter Reid, George Telfer, Derek Temple, Tommy Wright and former player and manager Joe Royle, along with former chairman Sir Philip Carter, who paid tribute at the service.
- with Everton
- Football League First Division: 1962–63, 1969–70
- FA Cup: 1965–66; Runner-up 1967–68
- FA Charity Shield: 1963, 1970
- Szczepanik, Nick (11 June 2012). "Gordon West obituary". The Guardian. Retrieved 12 June 2012.
- Gillatt, Peter (30 November 2009). Blackpool FC on This Day: History, Facts and Figures from Every Day of the Year. Pitch Publishing Ltd. ISBN 978-1-905411-50-4.
- Lewis, Andy (11 June 2012). "Gordon West 1943-2012". evertonfc.com. Everton F.C. Archived from the original on 16 June 2012. Retrieved 12 June 2012.
- "Gordon West". Archived from the original on 8 May 2011. Retrieved 10 June 2011.
- "Gordon West". Retrieved 10 June 2012.
- "Gordon West dies of cancer". www.liverpoolecho.co.uk.
- "Gordon West Funeral". www.evertonfpf.org.
- "1963/64 Charity Shield". footballsite.co.uk. Retrieved 12 April 2020.
- "1970/71 Charity Shield". footballsite.co.uk. Retrieved 12 April 2020.