Gordon Thomas Whyburn
This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Gordon Thomas Whyburn|
7 January 1904|
|Died||8 September 1969
|Awards||Chauvenet Prize (1938)|
Whyburn studied at the University of Texas in Austin, where he received a bachelor's degree in chemistry in 1925. Under the influence of his teacher Robert Lee Moore, Whyburn continued to study at Austin but changed to mathematics and earned a master's degree in mathematics in 1926 and then a PhD in 1927. After two years as an adjunct professor at U. of Texas, with the aid of a Guggenheim fellowship Whyburn spent the academic year 1929/1930 in Vienna with Hans Hahn and in Warsaw with Kuratowski and Sierpinski. After the fellowship expired, Whyburn became a professor at Johns Hopkins University. From 1934 he was a professor at the University of Virginia, where he modernized the mathematics department and spent the rest of his career. He was chair of the department until his first heart attack in 1966; Edward J. McShane joined the department in 1935, and Gustav A. Hedlund was a member of the department from 1939 to 1948. In the academic year 1952/1953 Whyburn was a visiting professor at Stanford University. In 1953-1954 he served as president of the American Mathematical Society.
Whyburn was awarded the Chauvenet Prize in 1938 and was elected a member of the National Academy of Sciences in 1951. His doctoral students include John L. Kelley and Alexander Doniphan Wallace.
- Whyburn, Gordon Thomas (1942), Analytic Topology, American Mathematical Society Colloquium Publications, 28, Providence, R.I.: American Mathematical Society, ISBN 978-0-8218-1028-6, MR 0007095
- Whyburn, Gordon Thomas (1958), Topological analysis, Princeton Mathematical Series, 23, Princeton University Press, ISBN 978-0-691-08054-3, MR 0099642
- Whyburn, Gordon; Duda, Edwin (1979), Dynamic topology, Undergraduate Texts in Mathematics, Berlin, New York: Springer-Verlag, ISBN 978-0-387-90358-3, MR 0526764
- Floyd, E. E.; Jones, F. B. (1971), "Gordon T. Whyburn 1904–1969", Bulletin of the American Mathematical Society, 77: 57–72, doi:10.1090/S0002-9904-1971-12606-X, ISSN 0002-9904, MR 0266736
- O'Connor, John J.; Robertson, Edmund F., "Gordon Thomas Whyburn", MacTutor History of Mathematics archive, University of St Andrews.
- Gordon Thomas Whyburn at the Mathematics Genealogy Project