Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation
|Founder||Gordon E. Moore and Betty I. Moore|
San Francisco Bay Area
|Harvey V. Fineberg, President|
|$315 million (annual, 2016)|
The Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation is an American foundation established by Intel co-founder Gordon E. Moore and his wife Betty I. Moore in September 2000 to support scientific discovery, environmental conservation, patient care improvements and preservation of the character of the Bay Area.
As outlined in the Statement of Founder's Intent, the foundation's aim is to tackle large, important issues at a scale where it can achieve significant and measurable impacts.
- All Sky Automated Survey for SuperNovae (ASAS-SN)
- Event Horizon Telescope (EHT)
- Hydrogen Epoch of Reionization Array (HERA)
- South Pole Telescope (SPT)
- Thirty Meter Telescope (TMT)
- W. M. Keck Observatory
- BICEP and Keck Array
- Center for Ocean Solutions
- Community Cyberinfrastructure for Advanced Marine Microbial Ecology Research and Analysis
- Global Ocean Sampling Expedition
- Advanced Imaging Center (AIC) | Janelia Research Campus
- Emergent Phenomena in Quantum Systems Initiative
- Julia (programming language)
- Data Carpentry
- NumPy Python Package
- Numba Python Package
- Dask Python Package
- R Consortium in support of R programming language projects
- UC Berkeley Institute for Data Science (BIDS)
- NYU Center for Data Science
- UW eScience Institute
Other (standalone) Projects
The Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation has contributed US$200 million towards construction of the Thirty Meter Telescope. A proposed extremely large telescope (ELT), the Thirty Meter Telescope (TMT) is considered controversial due to its planned location on Mauna Kea, which is considered sacred land according to the native Hawaiians, on the island of Hawaii in the United States. Native Hawaiian cultural practice and religious rights are the main points of opposition towards the construction of the Thirty Meter Telescope, along with concerns over the lack of meaningful dialogue during the permitting process.
On October 7, 2014, protesters demonstrated outside the headquarters of the Foundation in Palo Alto, CA. On July 14, 2019, protesters had created an online petition titled "The Immediate Halt to the Construction of the TMT Telescope" that was posted on Change.org and directed towards the Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation as well as other financial backers. The online petition has currently gathered over 278,057 signatures worldwide.
- About Us: Financial Information Archived 2013-08-27 at the Wayback Machine
- "Statement of Founders' Intent".
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2016-08-15. Retrieved 2016-06-26.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Home - Center for Ocean Solutions". oceansolutions.stanford.edu.
- "Emergent Phenomena in Quantum Systems Initiative". Cite has empty unknown parameter:
- "$6M for UC Berkeley and Cal Poly to expand and enhance open-source software for scientific computing and data science". Retrieved 13 August 2015.
- "Bringing Julia from beta to 1.0 to support data-intensive, scientific computing". www.moore.org. Retrieved 17 June 2016.
- "Data Carpentry". Data Carpentry.
- "Moore-Sloan Data Science Environments". MSDSE.
- "Berkeley Institute for Data Science". Berkeley Institute for Data Science.
- "Center for Data Science - New York University". NYU Center for Data Science.
- Howe, Bill. "Home". eScience Institute.
- "ASAPbio – Accelerating Science and Publication in Biology". ASAPbio.
- Perry, Jill. "Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation Commits $200 Million Support for Thirty-Meter Telescope". Caltech. Caltech. Retrieved 30 April 2015.
- Dominique Saks (2011-11-19). "Indigenous religious traditions: Mauna Kea". Colorado College. Retrieved 2015-04-04.
- Chad Blair (2015-04-04). "OHA trustee calls for moratorium on Mauna Kea telescope". Honolulu Civil Beat and KITV4 News. Retrieved 2015-04-04.
- Mai, E. Komo (October 9, 2014). "VIDEO: Full Coverage of Thirty Meter Telescope Disruption". Big Island Video News. Big Island Video News. Retrieved 23 April 2015.
- Cooper, Jeanne (October 7, 2014). "Peaceful protest in Palo Alto against massive Mauna Kea telescope". SFGATE. SFGATE. Retrieved 23 April 2015.
- Wu, Nina (July 18, 2019). "Online petition demanding halt to Thirty Meter Telescope project collects 100K signatures". Honolulu Star-Advertiser. Retrieved 12 December 2019.