Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation
|Founder||Gordon E. Moore and Betty I. Moore|
San Francisco Bay Area
|Harvey V. Fineberg, President|
|$315 million (annual, 2016)|
The Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation is an American foundation established by Intel co-founder Gordon E. Moore and his wife Betty I. Moore in September 2000 to support path-breaking scientific discovery, environmental conservation, patient care improvements and preservation of the special character of the Bay Area. The private foundation focuses on creating positive outcomes for future generations to make a large, lasting and measurable difference.
As outlined in the Statement of Founder's Intent, the foundation's mission is to tackle large, important issues at a scale where it can achieve significant and measurable impacts. The foundation has four program areas of grantmaking:
Environmental Conservation: balancing long-term conservation with sustainable use to protect critical ecosystems. Establishing models for collaboration that can be replicated around the globe, and seeking to create lasting change in how land, freshwater and coastal marine ecosystems are managed.
Science: advancing basic science through developing new technologies, supporting imaginative research scientists and creating new collaborations at the frontiers of traditional scientific disciplines.
Patient Care: improving the experience and outcomes of patient care.
San Francisco Bay Area: fostering, preserving and enhancing the special character of the Bay Area, where the foundation can make difference consistent with the founders' values.
Within these program areas, four "filters" are used to determine whether the foundation should award a grant: whether the project is important; whether the foundation can make a difference; whether it is measurable; and whether it contributes to a "portfolio effect," increasing impact and reducing risks.
- Event Horizon Telescope
- Thirty Meter Telescope
- South Pole Telescope
- W. M. Keck Observatory 
- BICEP and Keck Array
- Center for Ocean Solutions
- Community Cyberinfrastructure for Advanced Marine Microbial Ecology Research and Analysis
- Global Ocean Sampling Expedition
- Julia (programming language)
- Data Carpentry
- NumPy Python Package
- Numba Python Package
- Dask Python Package
- R Consortium in support of R programming language projects
Other (standalone) Projects
- About Us: Financial Information
- "Gordon and Betty Moore Say Science and Measurable Results Should Guide Grants".
- "Statement of Founders' Intent".
- "Moore Foundation 'Founders' Intent' Emphasizes Scientific Methodology".
- "$6M for UC Berkeley and Cal Poly to expand and enhance open-source software for scientific computing and data science". Retrieved 13 August 2015.
- "Bringing Julia from beta to 1.0 to support data-intensive, scientific computing". www.moore.org. Retrieved 17 June 2016.